Why become a member? ×

Check this odd as hell email!

Prime_BASS

If it seems too good to be true.... it is. Listen to your gut on this one, it's just a scam trying to suck people in, hence all the spiritual stuff. It's just trying to make someone feel special and get them interacting. Remember all the scams where people in Africa were emailing 40-60 year old women and building an emotional attachment, convincing them everything was real, and then taking them for £000's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_scam

'Time is of the essence...' I bet it is! I don't see how anyone could think that this anything other than a pre-emptive scam warm-up. I could write a much better scam email than this - and I'm an honest, upstanding member of the community!*

[size=2]*May not actually be an honest, upstanding member of the community.[/size]

Edited by discreet

It's a scam and, somewhere down the line, it's aim is to steal as much money from you as they can.

Don't "play along" (that's pretty dumb suggestion), don't call the number (you can get charged £100's a min on some numbers), delete the email and get on with your life.

I emailed back asking what I should do on my end. Awaiting a reply.
Evidence suggests he's a real guy asking for real bassist but odd as hell he'd email me from an ad that's older than most of my gear.

His punctuation is understandable since it was written on an iPhone.
If it's a scam it's a long winded one, if it's real, some people clearly operate on another plane of existence than most folk.

Someone on here checked the details for the number, it's not a premium rate number and is registered to a musician called Eric Gynan. He may well have been the victim of someone fraudulantly using his number in which case it would be good for someone to ring him and let him know. It may be him that really sent the email and it's not a scam at all, he may just be a fantasist. We've all come across them. One call could sort it but hey ho.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1433145471' post='2788128']
I don't think the grammar is that bad. I have two friends that write worse than that.
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433146796' post='2788140']
Surely you mean, 'I have two friends WHAT write worse than that.' ? :D
[/quote]

[oldfartpedantry] Actually it should really be 'who', but hey ho who's counting! :) [/oldfartpedantry]

ETA: @OP Bin it. Even if it is genuine, do you *really* want to work with this person?

Edited by leftybassman392

And as if by magic, this suddenly arrived in my in-box:
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#800000]Hello!
I'm sorry you're getting the mail from me at this Point in time,my family and I came down here to Istanbul, Turkey for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed,all cash credit cards and cell were stolen off but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.[/color][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#800000]I have been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves pretty soon from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills.Please be so kind to reply back so I can tell you what to do and how to get some cash to us.[/color][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#800000]I'm freaked out at the moment[/color][/size][/font]
Now this is from the Outbox of a guy I used to play 5-a-side with, never a particular friend of mine, haven't seen him in at least five years.[/size][/font]
Unfortunately, his use of English (he's a native Londoner) is - if anything - even worse that this, but bears no resemblance to this sort of speech ("Please be so kind ..." etc.).[/size][/font]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1433158191' post='2788304']
[color=#800000]Hello!
I'm sorry you're getting the mail from me at this Point in time,my family and I came down here to Istanbul, Turkey for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed,all cash credit cards and cell were stolen off but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.[/color][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#800000]I have been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves pretty soon from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills.Please be so kind to reply back so I can tell you what to do and how to get some cash to us.[/color][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#800000]I'm freaked out at the moment[/color][/size][/font]
Now this is from the Outbox of a guy I used to play 5-a-side with, never a particular friend of mine, haven't seen him in at least five years.[/size][/font]
Unfortunately, his use of English (he's a native Londoner) is - if anything - even worse that this, but bears no resemblance to this sort of speech ("Please be so kind ..." etc.).[/size][/font]
[/quote]

What scammers miss is the nuance : Brits don't take vacations, they have holidays, we would talk about Turkey, no need to say whereabouts, unless of course the recipient is American, and then they would need a clue, given their generally stunning grasp of world geography, and we carry mobiles, not cellphones. Also, who says 'the park of the hotel'?

As you have also said, the language is all wrong for the suggested sender.

I've had the same email from a vague acquaintance I went on a lads golf holiday with a few years ago. It's a common scam.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1433158191' post='2788304']

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#800000]Hello!
I'm sorry you're getting the mail from me at this Point in time,my family and I came down here to Istanbul, [/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#800000]I'm freaked out at the moment[/color][/size][/font]....

[/quote]

I've had a few of these. It usually means someone you know has had their laptop/PC (and address book) hacked. Seem to be as common as the Nigerian money affair, or the soon to be fat fired bassist affair.

The only thing I don't understand is how did they know the OP actually was a bassist?
The one Happy Jack received is so much more general (anyone is likely to have friends/relatives abroad on impromptu holidays) If the OP's one was sent on the off chance that one of the many recipients might be a musician, you think they'd say the were looking for a guitarist or singer, as there are more of them out there.

Not wishing to worry the OP still further, but it seems they do know at least one fact about him. Could they have got his e-mail off here (perish the thought!), or from some customer database of bass related items?

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And as if by magic, this suddenly arrived in my in-box:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#800000]Hello!
I'm sorry you're getting the mail from me at this Point in time,my family and I came down here to Istanbul, Turkey for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed,all cash credit cards and cell were stolen off but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#800000]I have been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves pretty soon from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills.Please be so kind to reply back so I can tell you what to do and how to get some cash to us.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#800000]I'm freaked out at the moment[/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Now this is from the Outbox of a guy I used to play 5-a-side with, never a particular friend of mine, haven't seen him in at least five years.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Unfortunately, his use of English (he's a native Londoner) is - if anything - even worse that this, but bears no resemblance to this sort of speech ("Please be so kind ..." etc.).[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/quote]

Well once I send my credit card details off to the address for the Australian Lottery like they asked me to (I got a letter on Saturday telling me I've won $112,000,000 Aus - that must be errm £30 in real money) I'll send you some to give to them.

Just send me over your bank details and mothers maiden name and I'll make the transfer.

Oh and O.P. - nah not a chance :)