Why become a member? ×

Check this odd as hell email!

Prime_BASS

I think it's a genuine email. It scans well as a stream of conscious thought from someone who really believes he's going to make it big but has had the rug pulled.

I think it's typical of the dreamers you get and I guess he's very young, certainly naive.

I wouldn't want to get involved in that kind of thing. I wouldn't want to see anyone paying for a flight to the states to meet a stranger.

Short story to illustrate the way 'some' Americans think and remember that a large proportion don't own a passport. - My friend was stopped for speeding on Route 66. He was doing 70mph. The policeman asked where he was from - London, England? Did you drive all the way here from there today? I bet they don't drive at 70mph in England do they?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1433163162' post='2788401']
My friend was stopped for speeding on Route 66. He was doing 70mph. The policeman asked where he was from - London, England? Did you drive all the way here from there today? I bet they don't drive at 70mph in England do they?
[/quote]

Apparently 77% of Americans believe in angels and illiteracy runs at around 30%. I've just put my American in-laws in a taxi to the airport after a half-term visit. They are [i]very [/i]conservative, middle-class and close-minded, yet are among the tiny percentage of Americans who hold a passport - they are considered to be weird, dangerous left-wing intellectuals where they live - Florida.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433164680' post='2788427']

Apparently 77% of Americans believe in angels and illiteracy runs at around 30%. I've just put my American in-laws in a taxi to the airport after a half-term visit. They are [i]very [/i]conservative, middle-class and close-minded, yet are among the tiny percentage of Americans who hold a passport - they are considered to be weird, dangerous left-wing intellectuals where they live - Florida.
[/quote]

Possibly. Although I think 'tiny' percentage is one of those popular myths.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/03/americas-great-passport-divide/72399/

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1433166273' post='2788455']
Possibly. Although I think 'tiny' percentage is one of those popular myths.
[/quote]

I should have said 'are among the minority of Americans who hold a passport'... either way, my in-laws are a pain in the arse and I'm glad they've gone home! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1433141592' post='2788101']
... with the whif of the Nigerian Prince ..

[/quote]
Ah, takes me back to the good old days of empire!

Back OT, I was expecting a demand for money or bank details in there, too. Prob to come later.

As interesting as this thread is, assuming it's a genuine message wouldn't the ethical course of action be to politely decline if you have no intention of taking the job? :) Good deed for the day done, back to my usual misanthropic & cynical self.

From the phrasing of the message it looks like they've sacked their bass player on the basis of appearance rather than his weight impacting on his health and ability to physically carry out his job. Would you really want to work with such a vain ****?

I wouldn't trust anybody that mentions Nickelback either, they're the rock & roll equivalent of radioactive waste.

Also when they state they're 'not religious but spiritual' that probably means they've not acquired status of 'tax exempt religion' from the IRS - it's obviously a cult. :blink:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1433171187' post='2788516']
$100.00 bucks a show? That's my pay and I'm in a local bar band. lol
[/quote]

I would have been much more likely to allow myself to become deluded for, say, $1500 a gig. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433178083' post='2788615']

I would have been much more likely to allow myself to become deluded for, say, $1500 a gig. ;)
[/quote]

That's why I think it's genuine and someone who has no idea. Maybe someone very young.

A very quick search for Eric Gynan indicates that the rest of the email stands up - he is a musician, his band (Leaving Eden) is from the Boston area, the singer is named Eve, etc. etc. Unless a scammer has gone to the trouble of constructing a band's entire online identity plus interviews and photographs, this does look genuine, as bizarre as it is.

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1433179784' post='2788641']
A very quick search for Eric Gynan indicates that the rest of the email stands up - he is a musician, his band (Leaving Eden) is from the Boston area, the singer is named Eve, etc. etc. Unless a scammer has gone to the trouble of constructing a band's entire online identity plus interviews and photographs, this does look genuine, as bizarre as it is.
[/quote]

True. And also the band profile shows no name against 'bass' though all the others are listed. I came across the name of a previous bass player by googling the band name and 'bass player'. Then googled his name and came across a video. He is indeed a rather large gentleman.

The plot thickens!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1433154701' post='2788239']
Send them some pictures of the most portly bass player you can find, and tell them the pictures are of you!
[/quote]

Did somebody call?.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1433180093' post='2788647']
True. And also the band profile shows no name against 'bass' though all the others are listed. I came across the name of a previous bass player by googling the band name and 'bass player'. Then googled his name and came across a video. He is indeed a rather large gentleman.

The plot thickens!
[/quote]

Damn you guys really are super sleuths...who needs Scooby Doo?

But isn't that simply the clever ploy of a very, very good scammer..? You're all falling for it..! The fellow has spent the last 15 years baiting this elaborate trap, and he's likely to get away with a whole wad of notes (well, maybe £120 or so...); plus a real UK passport number he can launder if he's 'savvy'. A mastermind, I say; teeth like razors and the cunning of a fox. A second Moriarty, and here you all are, falling for it..! Hilarious..! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1433183485' post='2788688']
But isn't that simply the clever ploy of a very, very good scammer..? You're all falling for it..!
[/quote]

Quite. The information behind the scam is all in the public domain, as we've found. An email like this and the necessary research behind it is only the work of an hour or two at the most and the rewards are potentially great [i]if[/i] the information the scammer wants is forthcoming and that information is used intelligently. People see and hear what they would prefer to see and hear, and 'musicians' are very vulnerable to this kind of scam, because... well, because they are. I'll leave it at that. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1433183485' post='2788688']
But isn't that simply the clever ploy of a very, very good scammer..? You're all falling for it..! The fellow has spent the last 15 years baiting this elaborate trap, and he's likely to get away with a whole wad of notes (well, maybe £120 or so...); plus a real UK passport number he can launder if he's 'savvy'. A mastermind, I say; teeth like razors and the cunning of a fox. A second Moriarty, and here you all are, falling for it..! Hilarious..! :lol:
[/quote]

A second Moriarty? How dare you. There shall be only one. (Although, the second most dangerous man in London was Capt Sebastian Moran I believe)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1433184103' post='2788698']... (Although, the second most dangerous man in London was Capt Sebastian Moran I believe)
[/quote]

What, old 'Basher'..? Nah, he died years ago after having founded THRUSH. Anyway, I was just using a figure of speech, I don't [i]really [/i]think that [i]all [/i]folks named Moriarty are Master Criminals; only [i]some [/i]of them.