Why become a member? ×

What is your standard gigging set up and sound?

FuNkShUi

I often talk about or hear about bassists having their own sound. I get that this is effected by technique, but a lot will be how you set up, and what your set up is.

I have a Warwick Streamer Stage 1, that goes straight into my effect board.
It is then daisy chained through a Boss tuner, a Sansamp and then into a Soundblox Multiwave distortion pedal.
This then goes into my Aguilar Tonehammer 500, which is connected to 2 TKS112s.
The EQ section will have drive at 9 oclock, and the gain at about 10.
I set the mid freq to be at 1 oclock (high mids), and give that a little boost. Bass and Treble are at 12 oclcock. I'll adjust this depending on the room.
The bass has a master volume which i back off max tilt a bit. I put the pickup pan to bias the jazz pickup at the bridge, then boost the bass a touch, and cut the treble with the onboard pre amp. It sounds better to me when i use the on board pre compared to EQ'ing it on the TH.
This is my standard sound. I like the clarity of notes i can get by playing off the bridge jazz pickup, and the boost in bass EQ fattens it up nicely, IMO of course :)
I change this only if i have to slap (only 2 songs), where i'll boost treble, and boost the master volume to make the sound more present in the mix.
Or for songs where i feel it needs a bass heavier feel, i pan the pickup bias toward the neck "P P/up".
So what's your set up? What's your sound?

I played a bar gig on Saturday and used my usual setup:

Aguilar DB680 preamp through a power amp into an Aguilar DB410 cab.
Bass was my white Jazz, although I often use my 1974 Jazz Bass too.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/FB_IMG_1428932708191.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/FB_IMG_1428932708191.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/FB_IMG_1428932713949.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/FB_IMG_1428932713949.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Mines pretty simple...

Wal into Glockenklang Blue Soul with EQ set flat into 2x 112 Purple Chili cabs with the tweeters set on 5.

On the bass I usually have the bridge filter wide open and neck filter rolled off to between 2-5 and vary the tone by playing over bridge or neck pickups depending on whether i'm looking to underpin the mix or cut through it. I set the master volume to 7 (out of 10) and that gives me the flexibility to balance my level depending how enthusiastically everyone else is playing.

Gigs with PA support I run straight out of my bass into the PA.

Edited by CamdenRob

I currently play in four different bands. Each has a completely different style, and I play a completely different bass in each.[list]
[*]5-string fretted
[*]4-string fretted
[*]4-string fretless
[*]Double bass (but sometimes bass ukelele)
[/list]

"Standard" does not compute.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428933230' post='2746064']
"Standard" does not compute.

:)
[/quote]

That is fair enough!
I have no call for fretless, and for any songs that need a drop D/C/B, it takes a couple of seconds to sort that out for me

Yamaha BB424, both pups on, tone knob turned halfway. Amp EQ-wise, I turn the bass completely off and leave the mids and treble flat. Gain quite low.

I find that my set-up allows me to play expressively. Playing softer or harder for certain passages makes a massive difference to the tone. Having the bass EQ turned up just completely buries all the little ghost notes and kills the clarity of the higher notes so I keep it turned off all the time.

60s P bass into EBS Reidmar, Gain at 2 o'clock, comp at 12 o'clock, slight mid boost about 750k, bright off, bass tweaked to suit room. Generally have the controls on the guitar wide open unless the DI really has loads of top end in it at which point I'll roll the tone most of the way off.

My tuner is in the line out and is really the only part of the rig I'd change going to one in the effects loop.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1428934901' post='2746083']
Having the bass EQ turned up just completely buries all the little ghost notes and kills the clarity of the higher notes so I keep it turned off all the time.
[/quote]

Nice little tip. Might try this in one practice see how it sounds

Peavey Millenium Active BXP bass, eq totally flat, pan control centred.
Zoom B2 with footswitch, used as a mute/tuner 99% of the time.
Hartke HA 3500 active input, tube preamp set about 2/3 full for a bit of grind, EQ with frowny face to counteract the bass's slightly scooped sound.

My sound is quite middy and bright compared to many local bands and how many sound engineers like. People sometimes joke that I play 'mid guitar' rather than 'bass guitar'.

I play a different bass every gig, plugged into whatever equipment the venue has, or mine. Most of the time, what the audience hears is under the control of the sound engineer anyway. There is no standard setup - I simply aim for being able to hear myself (and the rest of the band) then go for it.

Fender Precision, volume and tone on full.
Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Drive on full, Gain and Bass at midday, Treble on full, Mids Freq at around 400hz and backed off to around 10 o`clock.
This into a Barefaced Super12T with the tweeter fully off.

Doesn`t really change, if the room is too boomy or the bass isn`t present enough I adjust the mids either up or down a touch.

Both of my basses are fed into a hartke bass attack and boss chorus pedals, (both pedals are used sparingly)....then into my TC electronic BG500 combo....which is di'ed to our desk. All amp and instrument controls are set flat and tweaked sparingly to suit. I flit between pickup settings throughout the gig dependant on the song.

I like simplicity

yamaha bb1100s active on the p pickup generally all eq set to full. into korg pitchblack and dod eq for ocasional boost into oeange bass terror eq flat gain approx 10 oclock for a bit of growl into barefaced compact. i generally play finger style quite hard near the neck as i can't get our of the habit of trying to sound like Steve harris and the ox from when i was a teenager.

Fender USA Precision, Fender Rumble V3 500 and 115 cab. EQ all at midday, except for gain at 1. Bass volume on full, tone backed off a 1/4 or so. D'addario Nickelwounds. Since I started using this combination, I've found it works in every live/studio environment without changing a thing.

This is why I must stop any further GAS, as it will invariably end in a strong sense of disappointment to compared to what I have right now. So why do I still keep looking???? :blush:

I like to just plug in, and go! :D

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1428932942' post='2746057']
I played a bar gig on Saturday and used my usual setup:

Aguilar DB680 preamp through a power amp into an Aguilar DB410 cab.
Bass was my white Jazz, although I often use my 1974 Jazz Bass too.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/FB_IMG_1428932708191.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/FB_IMG_1428932708191.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/FB_IMG_1428932713949.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/FB_IMG_1428932713949.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]im liking that bass very much good sir

2 J5's with East Pre's. Bass on zero, treble no more than 0 db.
Mid sweep at around +2 db.
Pickups biased towards the rear but to suit everything I do... I don't EQ the basses to
suit the song very much..this is settled on at soundcheck.
I slap which part I want so it has to one sound set for the setlist, pretty much.

Into Aguilar DB750 head and either DB212 and DB210 cabs for 2.67 ohms and full beans 800w plus
or 1x212.
OR TH500 into 2x112 ( incoming ) and TH runs at bass at 9, mids at 1 and treble at 2.

Bass, could be any of my P basses, fretted or fretless, spector, Steinberger, Ibanez musician f/less or stagg upright.
Ampeg PF-500, set flat, ultra bass switched in, mark bass club 1x15 direct into the pa. No fx. just bass, cable, amp. When I see video clips of my lot live, I'm always amazed how nice my bass sounds.

I rehearse with a different bass almost every week but when it comes to gigging these days I pretty much always stick to my white Ritter Cora into a small pedal board with a Demeter Compulator, Aguilar Octamizer and Filter Twin then up to a Demeter VTB 800 Minnie head and into a Bergantino AE210.

Cora both pickups on full, tone controls set flat, sometimes cut a bit of treble on certain songs.

Compulator generally used on rockier songs (I have it set as a bit of a volume boost), octave and envelope filter on a couple of songs each.

On the amp I use the 'dark' setting, mids relatively flat, bass about 14:00, treble about 10:00. Presence 9:00 unless I feel the room is a bit dull and then I'll boost a bit more.

For some gigs I use the gold glitter Lull P bass. It's a bit rounder and thumpier than the Ritter so I might not boost bass as much.

I'm always in the PA with a very clean sound. Just adding a bit of low boost through the subs really.

Bass - Sei fretless with flatwounds, Warwick Buzzard with roundwounds, or Antoniotsai fretted with nylon tapewounds - they're basses, they all sound the same. Blend set 50/50, EQ set neutral. Line 6 G50 wireless system, Zoom B3 or MS60-B running chorus and occasional other effects, Tecamp Puma 900 with the low nudged up slightly, one or a brace of Bergantino AE112s with tweeters off, stood on top of a Gramma pad [1] if it's a hollow stage.

[1] The cabs, not me

Yamaha BB1100s, active on, into a Zoom B2 (used as tuner and a bit of a boost), into a Behringher BDi21, into the effects return of my Ashdown Mag 300 2x10. Just started using this set up and I prefer the tone shaping of the BDi rather than the amp eq.

Yamaha BB425 with everything on full into my Korg floor tuner and into the Fender Rumble 500. I couldn't honestly tell you what the controls are set at, I generally only touch the volume.

The simplest setup I've ever owned and the perfect sound for my current band.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1428955248' post='2746446']
............they're basses, they all sound the same...............
[/quote]

I find I sound pretty much the same over a wide range of kit. Other people playing my kit sound different. Anyway - the kit is: bass > Peavey tour 700 > then Barefaced Dubster (big, loud and forgiving of sloppy technique) or Shermann 15/6/1 full range cab (small not as loud and very detailed). I have MXR and VT pedals available but live just think Peavey is the business - pedals are super for recording. At one point I had VBA 400 but felt is was just not as good for me as the Peavey, each to their own however.

Basses - too many is all I will say.