Why become a member? ×

Playing bass with a wedding ring on.

NJE

I got engaged a couple of weeks ago and today I have been sorting my fiance's engagement ring out. While we were in the shop the subject of wedding bands came up and it got me thinking whether an engagement ring will get in the way when playing.

So, to all the married ladies and gentlemen out there, does you wedding band get in the way when you play and has it caused any damage to the neck of your bass?

Congratulations!

I got engaged in July and the subject of wedding bands came up also at the jewellers. I've decided I'm going to design my own as I have all the tools. I just need to get hold of the wax tubes that jewellers use as starting blanks. No ideas yet for what the design will be but a pair of rings that connect or link somehow would be nice. I'm a bit wary of making the ring too thick in case it starts eating away at the fingerboard. I've seen similar damage repaired by Dan Erlewine on blues player Albert King's flying V (now owned by Steven Segal) from all his bling.

i usually take mine off when i'm playing (and my watch as well) i found that i was hitting the frets occasionally and was marking the ring (750 white gold ring and stainless frets) i guess that the ring is softer than the frets, I either put my ring onto my watch strap and give them to my wife to look after while i'm playing or i tuck the ring into the little pocket in my jeans (no idea what the pocket is suposed to be for but it works fine for my wedding ring)

I got used to wearing the ring pretty quickly, within a week or so.

Matt

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1421938997' post='2666847']
Congratulations!
I'm a bit wary of making the ring too thick in case it starts eating away at the fingerboard. I've seen similar damage repaired by Dan Erlewine on blues player Albert King's flying V (now owned by Steven Segal) from all his bling.
[/quote]

Lemmy has got a big gouges in the fingerboards of his old Rickenbackers from years of playing them with rings on.

No problems here either. Wedding ring in usual position and what was my engagement ring on my little finger. Can't for the life of me remember whether it felt strange at first, but I've been playing for nigh on 28 years like this and don't plan on changing it anytime soon :-)

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1421936567' post='2666789']
I have to remove my wedding ring when playing as I catch it on the strings (particularly with round wounds). I keep on meaning to get a short silver chain so I can hang the ring around my neck when playing.
[/quote] put a plaster over the ring :) and in answer to the question I dont find it gets in my way

Sometimes catch the fretboard edge or a fret end but more of a problem when playing guitar. Got caught under skinny top e string during a chord change, broke the string & cracked the nut in half, loose bit pinged off across the room.
My wedding band has quite a bit of mojo/relic'ing due to this & more so to wearing a chunky steel ring on opposite hand. Should take one off when washing hands but forget/ cant be arsed!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1421944301' post='2666951']
Only a bloke would think about this as a problem... :lol:
[/quote]

Took me a few weeks to get used to it, not a problem now. My wife can't play guitar wearing hers though, it becomes an unwanted bottleneck slide on certain chords!