Why become a member? ×

Playing bass with a wedding ring on.

NJE

Thanks everyone, I am really thrilled and it has been a really positive start to the year. Even selling my main bass didn't cause me too much heartache.

I was going to quote replies, a lot of them made me chuckle, but there are too many :lol: Some mixed experiences with the playing, I guess a lot will depend on technique and style, I must admit I do have a general issue with anything being around my hands when playing, I don't even like long sleeves, but I am sure I will get used to it.

I got an evil look when I suggested not having a wedding ring so perhaps something thin and light might be in order. Its good to know that you get used to it quite quickly, it feels rather alien to me at the moment having never worn rings before.

I thought if there were a lot of people saying it caused damage to bass necks, I might have tiny excuse to get a pre-relic'd bass. I don't think I can use that excuse now though.

Edited by NJE

When I was married, I chose to wear a ring on my right hand. I was very concious of contact being made to the neck of my bass when wearing a ring on my left hand. Be prepared for some odd questions from the "well informed" if you do decide to wear it on your right hand, though. In some circles, wearing a ring on that finger can signify that you are in a gay relationship. lol

Congrats mate.

My wedding ring has never been a problem, has been there ten years and not got in the way of anything much.

It's dead light though as it's made from titanium, to be honest I don't think it makes too much difference as once you've had yours on for a little while you'll stop noticing it.

Titanium has all sorts of benefits, it's feather-light, strong and possibly best of all, dead cheap! Mine was about £75 iirc.

Edited by planer

I've never worn jewellery of any kind so wearing a ring took a bit of getting used to. I started off leaving it at home when gigging, the first gig with it on was when I forgot to take it off, and then I only noticed I still had it on when I was driving home! It'll feel normal in no time for you. Congratulations.

I've seen some damage caused to fretboards and necks where they've been caught by a wedding, or other, ring.

If you're not worried about the odd little knock then I'd keep the ring on but if you like to keep your instruments in pristine condition then I'd definitely think about taking it off whilst playing.

Never noticed any problem but have nearly ripped my finger off getting it caught (on a door handle, I think). That would not change my lousy playing as I've never been good at OFPF. Mine will not come off now without surgery to ring or finger. Plain wedding band should be OK, just avoid that diamond encrusted skull and you'll be fine.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422008565' post='2667629']
If your wife doesn't go to the gigs, I wouldn't advertise the fact that you're going to take your wedding ring off to go play music in public. Sends the wrong sort of signal, I fear ;)
[/quote]

hehe! No I mean't when I practice and occasionally I forget to put my wedding ring on! I'm certainly not saying that I deliberately take it off to go gigging! In fact the only band I am in is my Church band so I was just making a joke! :o

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1422010472' post='2667666']
At the age of 36 I've been with my wife 18 years, and married for ten of those. She's fairly confident in my commitment, and by this point I'm so institutionalised I wouldn't know how to get laid elsewhere if i tried! :lol:
[/quote]

I appreciate what you're saying but the OP is just embarking upon married life; my advice was tailored to that situation to be honest. I've been married 6 and a bit years, for reference, and I totally agree with you. My wife's take on the matter - "I wouldn't cheat on you, I'd dump you first". Thanks, darling! :)