Why become a member? ×

Bgm! is pants or is just me?

kevvo66

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1398693227' post='2436596']
I like having a physical magazine to read as opposed to looking at everything on a screen... I only buy it to look at the pictures / read the gear reviews really anyway, I've little interest in the interviews.

I remember bassist magazine though, I seem to remember it didn't last long. One issue had a CD with it with containing a great track by the flanagan ingham quartet and a super cheesy version of blues for alice on a clifton upright... it had a doug wimbish track on it too... although I remember it was crap.
[/quote]

I remember that CD, in fact I may still have it. It also had a demo of the bass for an Albert Lee song, as well as Walking on the Moon

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1398696022' post='2436640']
I remember that CD, in fact I may still have it. It also had a demo of the bass for an Albert Lee song, as well as Walking on the Moon
[/quote]

Think it was country boy wasn't it? they had two versions one with the bass and one you could play along too if you were that way inclined... In fact I remember the blokes voice introducing it..."Albert Lees country boy with phil hilborne on rhythm guitar..."

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1398687706' post='2436519']Really? I don't remember it being all that much better than BGM is now. It too had its share of editorial bloopers and smelling pistakes, and fixations with certain manufacturers.[/quote]
It just caught my imagination at the time and it was pre-online days so I remember sending off for ashtray covers etc that were advertised in the back. I'm sure I view it through rose tinted spectacles like a few others here.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1398693227' post='2436596'] I like having a physical magazine to read as opposed to looking at everything on a screen... I only buy it to look at the pictures / read the gear reviews really anyway, I've little interest in the interviews. [/quote]

Pretty much sums up my feelings really.

BGM isn't that bad overall , but it just seems to me to be an opportunity wasted. They have got access to players and gear and the means to produce and distribute the magazine, so all they need to do is enhance the content and make it a bit more interesting by going into a bit more detail and, crucially, being more imaginative.

Edited by Dingus

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1398694188' post='2436621']
Given that it always seems to be the same complaints every time this subject comes up, maybe he's not that interested in our opinions cos nothing has changed in the way the mag is presented for years.
[/quote]

Hey all, I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinions, positive and negative, about our magazine, so feel free to express them here or to me at [email protected] if you prefer confidentiality.

Cheers all

Joel McIver

I liked this months edition - much more gear/players I`m interested in. This is the thing with such mags, you can`t please everyone all the time. There have been editions where I`ve not been interested in much of the content. Doesn`t stop me buying it though, as I can often learn something from the items I`m not that keen on, such as never really had funk worked out, but the tutorial at the back gave me a nice grounding on this style.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a 'Basschat Magazine' yet... Lots of players, people who have access to gear who work in music retail or within the industry (or could include reviews of gear by basschatters playing other basschatters basses... That would be an interesting twist on the usual reviews!) and we have designers and educators.

Not such a far-fetched idea!

I haven't renewed my subscription; I had every issue from the get go, but it had started to get a repetitious with its cycle of interviewed bass celebs and a few other features were the same too. I now check it online and buy a digital copy if there'e anything/anybody that I really want to read about.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1402669759' post='2475836']
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a 'Basschat Magazine' yet... Lots of players, people who have access to gear who work in music retail or within the industry (or could include reviews of gear by basschatters playing other basschatters basses... That would be an interesting twist on the usual reviews!) and we have designers and educators.

Not such a far-fetched idea!
[/quote]

Except that it would need a lot of editorial work by an entire team to organise it all - for free! - and could obviously only be published online, on here, as printing and distribution are immensely expensive nowadays, compared with any returns.

Edited by bluejay

• 7 months later...

This month's issue has just arrived and it's possibly the worst one yet. The annual LBGS "preview" issue, with 7 pages of stuff we ALREADY KNOW, like "profiles" of players appearing this year, and (snorrrre.....) pages of manufacturers profiles too. This is stuff BGM have been banging on about since they announced the first guest months ago, a complete waste of paper. They have included more interviews but these are just expanded versions of the dismal "Bassically Speaking" section (which in itself now runs to 5 pages) and it's all THE SAME; "I don't/do slap because...", "I don't/do play 5/6/7/8/10/12 strings because..." GAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! Oh, and here's a handy hint for BGM's gear review photographers - when you take a picture of a guitar can we have an image where we can actually see what it looks like (preferably from the top) instead of pointing your camera down the bass from the bridge end (see this month's Jackson Dave Ellefson Kelly Bird review...)
Time for a new format guys, seriously. It's really dreadful this month. :(

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1423680957' post='2687914']
Not read it for ages IMO I really think it is to expensive for what is in it
[/quote]
It is very expensive indeed, I haven't bought it for a good while. There is so little content for the money, just look at other magazines on the shelves and the thickness vs price.

Its full of ads too...

The page design for the new edition for LBGS is pants. There's a review of a Jackson Kelly Bird crammed onto 2 pages with the photo taken from the arse end making it hard to see the extent of its shape.
Loads of so called interviews with top players which are just rehashes of the " Do you play a 5 string" and "Who's the best player in your opinion?" questions.
Still at least I've got a fold out cover so I can go and ask Mark King for his autograph...!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398549466' post='2435245']
....The interviews and features are too short and usually pretty vapid , and, for the most part, the equipment reviews aren't precise enough or impartial enough to be useful.

[/quote]

Word of the day tomorrow will be Vapid. Excellent use there Dingus.