Why become a member? ×

McCartney's Jubilee bass

woolf

There isa limited edition run of 60, I got an email this morning, [nothing to do with me]

[b][size="3"]Limited Run Of Union Jack Hofner Violin Basses[/size][/b]
[b][size="3"]Need Help? Call Sam [/size][/b]
[b]01695 57 00 23[/b]
[b]At last night Queens Jubilee Concert Sir Paul McCartney played a Union Jack Violin Bass on the last number of the night. This was sent to him by Hofner a few months ago and we were in on it...

We now have a limited run of just 60 Union Jack Basses all with certificate of authenticity. These are sure to be highly collectable, and we are offering the first 5 serial numbers prior to their arrival in a couple of weeks time - so secure yours now. [url="http://therickenbackershop.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=444ac2019a57b378bd317ae00&id=bd7a175cad&e=f40b10bb38"]Union Jack Violin Bass.[/url]

This bass is a Contemporary series model which is a replica of Macca's 62 original bass. Made to a high specification and painyed inglorious red white and blue.

Don't miss out on this great oportunity to get a historical limited model.[/b]

[b][/b]

So, it`s a German instrument company, the bass is built in China and it has a Union Jack painted on it?

Sounds about right!

Quick question. Has any pro other than Macca or guys in tribute bands ever been seen using one of these?

Just being rather pedantic here, but would the Union Flag be upside down on a right hander?

I got the feeling that Elton had been partying with Macca, as both their vocal performances were a bit below par last night....Didn't stop me enjoying it though...

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1338895117' post='1680622']
Quick question. Has any pro other than Macca or guys in tribute bands ever been seen using one of these?
[/quote]Yep, Jimi from Doves uses on, quite a few tunes on Some Cities feature one. Great album.

I knew a guy a few years back who had an obsession with all things retro - used to play/write music under the nom de plume of Sgt Love. He had (from memory) a Hofner violin bass. And from my memory it was awful to play. Would'nt use one if they gave me a freebie.

So, it`s a German instrument company, the bass is built in China and it has a Union Jack painted on it?

Sounds about right!

[/quote]

Incubus :) i know hes used it live and found on the "love hurts" video

I'm afraid I avoided the Jubilee stuff but the Hofner forum did wake up a fair bit after Paul McCartney appeared with this & the excitement about the new run of basses was very apparent.

Sven Pippen from the Black Crowes uses a Hofner 500/1 and Neal Casal's bassist from the Hazy Malaze records used one too. I think Hofner have always been a pretty respectable underdog. I get a lot of comments about my tone since I switched to Hofner and as most of us appreciate bass players are so often traditionally ignored. I don't care that it's Chinese, it's just a nice bass to me.

Sounds about right!

[/quote]

Damon Minchella from Ocean Colour Scene used one now and again. Although he pretty much stuck to his 70's Jazz Bass live.
He's using one here in the video for The Circle:

[url="http://youtu.be/6hYgc0fTONc"]http://youtu.be/6hYgc0fTONc[/url]

And Paul Weller used one a fair bit during the Wild Wood sessions.
Here's a recent pic of him holding one:

[url="http://workfile.barnesandmullins.co.uk/images/news/f8f9f08e-9a72-4652-bcca-2aafff711a1b.jpg"]http://workfile.barnesandmullins.co.uk/images/news/f8f9f08e-9a72-4652-bcca-2aafff711a1b.jpg[/url]

Of course they doubled up on gear. The Vox stuff is there for image and may have a use...he has used Messa B for ages now and they swap bass playing duties..

If you don't have Fenders on the stage then you need an amp for every gtr swap to make them sound useable :lol: :lol: