Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1426455765' post='2718256']

Great gig supporting Big Country @ the cheese & grain, Frome, Somerset. 350+ crowd, played a blinder went down well & got to meet the mighty Derek Forbes resplendant in kilt & spats!
[/quote]

Slightly off topic but I went to watch some local wrestling not too long ago there with some mates who are all in bands and we said it would make an awesome venue. Glad they do gigs there

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1426456023' post='2718260']

Slightly off topic but I went to watch some local wrestling not too long ago there with some mates who are all in bands and we said it would make an awesome venue. Glad they do gigs there
[/quote]
Nice venue. We've supported a few over the years there, wishbone ash, focus, carl palmer etc & now Big Country. We are lining up another support there for september time.

Played a pub gig in Darwen last night - more covers than we'd normally do, but it was a dry run for some venues later in the year who have specified that we play more covers. The odd bit was when the original singer for the band turned up to see us. He was absolutely blotto and ended up coming round in A&E this morning after staggering into the road and being hit by a car. He's fine, apparently it happens a lot... Probably explains why he's no longer the singer in the band.

Impromptu!

Went to a jam night where I have been known to dep for the usual guy. I got a phone call to say they'd hired a new guy to take over as the usual guy wants to return to playing the guitar and I wasn't offered the job as they knew I wouldn't commit to a weekly. I went along, looking forward to a nice chat with my chums and a beer. I walked through the door and was greeted somewhat warmly and asked if I'd brought my amp. I hadn't so they found a DI box and said the other fella hasn't turned up do you want his money :)

we played the final slot at an all day rock metal show in plymouth,

was a cool show sadly we went on about half hour late due to a few problems with bands before us but that cant be helped, even tho alot of ppl left which as we all know can be a real mood killer! the ppl who stayed made noise and we played pretty well.

plus i got to use the di on my ctm for the first time really happy with how it sounded as normally i like to mic the bass cab, but what with time delays etc wasnt practical, but it sounded good.

andy

Sh*te.
We have played this venue a few times before, they have their own PA so I just take my Hartke Kickback and DI straight in. Up to now there have been no problems.
Last night they had the DJ doing the sound, he couldn't mix pollyfilla, no bass out front and not for the want of telling him, I even turned my amp down so it could not be heard out front but still no response.
As soon as our last number was done my bass was off, amp was off and coat was on, and the DJ was shouting to the crowd "do you want more" to the response of "Yes". I said to the band I'd had enough but was persuaded to come back on and do two more songs.
When we were stripping down the drummer said he could hear no bass at all when I came back on, I told him it was because I couldn't be bothered turning my amp on.
There was no problem with the house music though, that was thundering.
Next time I will be turning up with a bigger rig.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1427061192' post='2725371']
Sh*te.
We have played this venue a few times before, they have their own PA so I just take my Hartke Kickback and DI straight in. Up to now their have been no problems.
Last night they had the DJ doing the sound, he couldn't mix pollyfilla, no bass out front and not for the want of telling him, I even turned my amp down so it could not be heard out front but still no response.
As soon as our last number was done my bass was off, amp was off and coat was on, and the DJ was shouting to the crowd "do you want more" to the response of "Yes". I said to the band I'd had enough but was persuaded to come back on and do two more songs.
When we were stripping down the drummer said he could hear no bass at all when I came back on, I told him it was because I couldn't be bothered turning my amp on.
There was no problem with the house music though, that was thundering.
Next time I will be turning up with a bigger rig.
[/quote]

To misquote the late great Reg Presley: 'F***in' DJs, I f***in' s**t 'em!'

We played a charity gig at a local biker pub where we have played several paid gigs in the past. Good PA, pro sound crew, quality backline provided. We were one of several bands to play, the place was packed with locals, bikers & some backpatch club members. When we got there a heavy rock band was playing and the crowd were stood around watching them, when we took the stage a large section of the audience started dancing after the first three notes :) Great night in a very friendly and appreciative environment.

Just heard they raised over £600 for Macmillan cancer support, so a job done well.

We played our 1st " proper" gig with our new guitarist - it felt good to get my rocking boots back on.

we played pretty well , apart from a spectacular"where am I what am i doing moment ?"

Notables;

1. When we arrived about 8:30 a fella who'd only been drinking since lunchtime strikes up a conversation with me

DF " Eh, you the bassplayer pal?"

Me " Yip that's right"

DF " Eh, who's your favourite bassplayer then ,bud?"

Me ( Trying not to get too involved) " I don't really have one , I tend to just listen to the song rather than the bass"

DF " Well , I'll tell you who mine is, OK?"

Me " Sure , who is it?" ( Wasn'tt sure what to expect now, Mark King, Phil Lynot , The Bloke From Muse?)

DF " Gerry MacAvoy, Gerry f***in MacAvoy!!"

Me " Rory Gallagher's bassman , wow! , I'm a huge Rory/Gerry fan. Nice one. Good choice!"

DF - " Yeah , they're the f***in baws , the way they played together, total magic , by the way"

Me " Great nice speaking to you I need to get set up now. Cheers"

My new best drunk friend then proceed to play a selection of Rory tunes on his phone, while we were setting up. Once we started playing he kept waving , pointing & giving me "V" signs. :friends: :friends:

2 - An old friend of the band appeared later on and sort of invited himself up to sing. Imagine an aging Scottish Sam Cooke. :unsure: So we, having never played it before, launched into a shambolic but fun version of Twisting the Night Away.

Later on we did an encore and he got up again to do a bit of backing vocals, and the bouncer, who'd seen him up with us earlier , tried, unsuccessfully , to get him off the stage, despite us signalling that it was ok. Idiot :angry:. It did kind of put a bit of a damper on it but we kept going & won out in the end. Hurrah!! :drinks:

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1427139645' post='2726364']
Little vid of the standing ovation we got at the end of our Dundee gig. So proud :)

[url="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=823494034385240&set=vb.354714764596505&type=2&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=823494034385240&set=vb.354714764596505&type=2&theater[/url]
[/quote]

Having had a quick gander at the vids on your website justifiably so. Cracking stuff.
What a great gig you have there.

Saturday 21 March. StatusNo at The Ferry in Glasgow. We opened with three new songs for us that our audience hadn't heard us play before but some dim witted bass player forgot to press record on the DVD.
The dimwit is playing harmonica in this photo.
Played two x 80 minute sets to a great reception from the crowd.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1427139645' post='2726364']
Little vid of the standing ovation we got at the end of our Dundee gig. So proud :)

[url="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=823494034385240&set=vb.354714764596505&type=2&theater"]https://www.facebook...&type=2[/url]
[/quote]

Going to try to get down to see your show at Rescue Rooms in Nottingham in May. Partial to a bit of Bush now and again.

Dagobah reformation gig, first one we've done together for 15 years at the Cavern in Exeter last night. Went down brilliantly, and according to all accounts, I can still play one of them little 6 string things pretty well, despite all the time I have been spending messing about on bass inbetween, so that was good.
Am I allowed to post my guitar gigs on a bass forum? (yes I am) :)

Played at the Fixxion Warehouse in Wolverhampton again. Made sure I turned my amp up as did our guitarist (see my previous post as to why). Gig didn't start very well for me as I took my main bass out of the case and noticed the A string was loose. Thinking it had just taken a knock I tried to tighten it but it kept slipping. Decided it would be easier to just grab my backup and wing it.
Soon realised that I hadn't played half the set on this bass (usually play a 5 string and my back up is a 4 string)

But we all played really well for our third gig made some new fans

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1427370360' post='2729402']
Dagobah reformation gig, first one we've done together for 15 years at the Cavern in Exeter last night. Went down brilliantly, and according to all accounts, I can still play one of them little 6 string things pretty well, despite all the time I have been spending messing about on bass inbetween, so that was good.
Am I allowed to post my guitar gigs on a bass forum? (yes I am) :)
[/quote]no you ain't ;)

We did our 9:30-1:30 at Mamie's.

[i]Ask blues musicians, fans and experts around town and you'll quickly find that Mamie's, 3300 National Ave., is generally thought to be the sole remaining "authentic" blues bar in town. [/i]

Musically we were ok. However we had more than a respectable crowd for the lions share of the evening. Lot's of action at the bar.

I'll chalk it up as a long but fun night. When the LL is happy it's always a win.

Am I right?

Blue

Edited by blue

New venue last night and first outing with the 50% new line up. The place was tiny but had a great atmosphere. Went down really well but here you pay a price for that as they usually want a lot more. Supposed to finish at 11.30 and close at 12.00 but didn't finish playing until 1.10. Probably down to the set list as much as the band. Still, nice to have the punters shouting for more even as you're loading the car up :D