Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Mixed really

Load in the stuff, bar stuff come over say hi and then "You'll need to turn the bass down".

I was boggle eyed, we hadn't even started to set anything up! Talk about the quick reaction force!

Ten minutes later she's back with the boss saying "we told you the neighbours have issues, you'll need to turn the bass down"

I'm like "We'll do our best but it is a funk band, bass is integral, but we'll try and accommodate you"

Eventually set everything up and do our sound check aiming to be as quiet as possible, thinking that should be ok it's half our normal rehearsal volume when back she comes saying "The bass has to come down its far too loud in the low end, youre rattling those windows" pointing to the windows directly behind tge bass rig. Id rattle them with a decent fart i thought, but roll off about 6dB of 40Hz saying That should sort it. This seems to make thdm happy, the bass sounds really thin now of course but never mind, its that or an hour drive home.

Punters loved us though, one of them quite literally gushing about how amazing we were after the first set (in fairness we were pkaying really well). Unexpectedly massive positive reaction. The management never reappeared so i guess we dix ok for volumes but the speedwhen we arrived was quite alarming

Not sure if we'll go back again to be honest....

Just back from closing Saturday evening at the 4 day Radfest in Radcot, Oxfordshire. There were bands all day outside (some truly excellent bands, at that) but the final band each day played two full sets as opposed to the 45 mins of the rest of the day, and played inside the pub. Large and enthusiastic audience. Got off to a rocky start when our guitarist's 'Shitocaster' proved to be either inaudible or howling with feedback. Quick change after first number to his Fender cured that and we soon settled down. Couple of overenthusiastic (drunk) punters crashed into our gear, but the night went very well, finally packed up half an hour and two encores after the was due to close. A good night,and for me the first gig I've managed to play on my feet (rather than perched on a stool) since my op.

Had a most surreal rehearsal - well...you need a crowd for it to be a gig, right? You have to wonder at the intelligence of a venue that has a "band fest" planned as an outdoor event with no indoor contingency for the likelihood of the British weather! Whilst the bands were kept nice and dry under a marquee, the punters had to endure rain and wind in coats or under brollies ergo most of them stayed indoors!

Still...ever the consummate pros we played for the odd punter that wandered out now and again...and incurred the wrath of the landlord by playing on his bouncy castle!

It was different and will no doubt go down as one of the more strange gigs I've ever played with one Thin Lizzy fan choosing our set for us as he felt like!

Edited by DaytonaRik

The Terminal Five Experience played at the South Notts Beer Festival at Wilford last night. Venue is a rugby club, and when we arrived to set up in the clubhouse a match was in full progress outside. This resulted in having to set up in a crowded clubroom surrounded by 40 drunken Vikings (complete with false beards, horn helmets, plastic axes, the works). Quote of the day - "Is there a mic on, I need to make a speech" - at that point the rig was just a pile of boxes and cables with not a speaker in sight! No time to sound check properly because the European rugby final was on the big screen directly above the drummer. Then they wanted us to go straight on, 40 minutes earlier than our advertised start time.

You'd think this would be a recipe for disaster? But no - it was a great gig. Sound was tight and clear, plenty of dancers and audience singers, and a good time had by all. First gig with our new drummer after just 4 rehearsals with him - he sounded like he'd played with us forever. 2 new (to us) songs went down a storm. Bonus - the early start meant back home with cocoa by 11.30!

Edited by Marillionred

Cracking gig for DefunkT last night.

I wasn't looking forward to it due to having had a rough week.

The load in didn't lift my spirits, there was a travellers christening party going on. Getting the kit through the crowded pub was a challenge and then marauding kids bashing the drums and generally running riot added to the general tedium.

However, they all cleared off about ten minutes or so before we started, the place filled up and a good size group of tipsy ladies danced to just about every number. Happy days.

Our first festival gig of 2015 at Puzzfest in Sowerby Bridge.

We were the last of the bands playing the outdoor stage before the final band of the day played in the pub. Typically for a bank holiday weekend there was a slow and study fall of rain all through the afternoon and into the evening when we turned up. The stage and a large portion of the area around it was under cover, but the section just in front of the stage was open to the elements and consequently the audience was huddled in the sheltered areas away from the bands.

Luckily by the time we came to play the rain had stopped and some people were actually down the in front of the stage. After a few lack-lustre gigs recently, the extra rehearsal we've been putting in for our forthcoming album recording played off and we played a stormer, with Mr Venom climbing up into the rafters and some of the more enthusiastic (drunken) members of the audience joining him in a state of undress. The cold weather played havoc with the tuning of the semi-acoustic guitar and bass, but we managed to sound reasonably in-tune for most of the set.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/11210515_10153250914127836_5616556718067456548_n_zpsquxsbw97.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/11150692_10153250914637836_3978842837679579347_n_zpslro71cbg.jpg[/IMG]

Next week we're in the studio and then it's Strummercamp in Manchester on 22nd May.

Good gig last night. It was a biker bar that has a crowd that's not really there for live music and difficult to engage. However last night being the first day we have had nice weather (80 degrees and sunny)the crowd was larger than usual and more responsive.

Got home by 1:30. Now it's time to shower and head out to our 3-7 gig today.

Blue

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1430415704' post='2761249']
Pretty good session last night. The highlight was playing Albatross for the first time, with some very talented guys who are a lot of fun.

[/quote]

Very cool black & white photo. Who ever took it knew what they were doing.

Blue

We played The Road House yesterday 3-7 gig. Sunday gigs can be tough, however yesterday was a good gig for us. First weekend with great weather 80 degrees and sunny. All the bikers came out. This place has a very large room and stage for the band, all wood floors and ceilings. Easy load in and out.

I have no idea what the house sound was like , the stage sound was perfect. Primarily an older crowd, nice folks and responsive.

Blue

We played a rather flat gig this evening, in a pub we have played before where there is very little interaction with the audience as the bands are placed in what is basically a passage way between the bar and the loos. It's a big pub and there were plenty of people there, but very few can be seen from the stage. It was also very hot, I had to lean against a wooden post during the first set as my legs were giving way. We opened a window for the second set and it went much better. No comparison with the previous week's gig when we were really flying with an energetic audience up close and personal.

Hopefully, those people that came along to see us weren't too disappointed.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1431130424' post='2768186']
We played a rather flat gig this evening, in a pub we have played before where there is very little interaction with the audience as the bands are placed in what is basically a passage way between the bar and the loos. It's a big pub and there were plenty of people there, but very few can be seen from the stage. It was also very hot, I had to lean against a wooden post during the first set as my legs were giving way. We opened a window for the second set and it went much better. No comparison with the previous week's gig when we were really flying with an energetic audience up close and personal.

Hopefully, those people that came along to see us weren't too disappointed.
[/quote]

My singer and guitarist were there, they enjoyed it but like you say it was a funny setup!

Last night's gig was cold and moist. Semi-outdoor courtyard gig in a town-centre bar. Not many people out as it was utterly tipping it down, fingers slow due to cold, guitars going out of tune... Wasn't too bar otherwise!

Badly Stuffed Bears played at the Nags Head in Belper last night. Our first gig at this venue which has only started live music on Saturday nights since the new landlady took over a few months ago. It does seem to be getting a bit of interest locally, hence we played to a pretty busy room. I suppose it also helps that I live 400 yards away and that a few of my mates came down including my other band Water for Dogs.

No pressure then.

As it was we had a great night, our guitarist Henry describing it as one of the best pub gigs he has done for a few years. Went down this morning to pick up my gear and I have been cordially invited to pop back one evening this week and "bring your diary as you ARE playing here again" although she is worried that after such a good night she is not sure there is enough beer in the cellar to last until their next delivery on Tuesday! It looked like this;

although I remember it more like this;

busy, lots of people dancing, and a little bit blurred...

A posh wedding at a farmhouse outside Wokingham. The sound on-stage (actually; on-stone floor in a corner under a low ceiling) was awful - but fine out front. The guests danced the night away and the bride and groom were really pleased. The bride's mother was very greatful, as we were a replacement for a big-band and she sais we were perfect. And we got a pig roast!

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1430069950' post='2757707']
the mythical massive tray of cheese
[/quote]
If that's not a perfect album title, I don't know what is. :lol:
Brilliant gig last night at the Tunnels in Bristol. One of their soul/funk nights, huge sold-out crowd up and dancing from the first note. They nearly brought the roof down when we did Uptown Funk. Wonderful night, best I've had in a loooong Tim.

The Wood Demons footed the bill at The Comedy Pub in Piccadilly last Wednesday. Having asked to go on first to make it easy for our friends who work in town, we got a decent crowd and we played a 30 minute set really well with no (obvious) cock-ups. This doesn't sound that interesting really - stuff going wrong is always a better read. But I'll settle for it. Next one, Walsall Woodstock on Bank Holiday Monday.

We played The Fox Den in Mequon for the second time. The band sounded pretty good, place was packed with lots of dancing.

Very cool to see how many people are following our band around and I had a chance to chat with most of them.

It was a rare 7-11 gig, I was home by 1:00.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431304734' post='2769858']
I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that you guys in the UK play 2 hour bar gigs and for us here in the States it's 4 hours.

Blue
[/quote]

I wouldn't be able to do it these days Blue. It would mean retirement from gigging for me. I had to rest up all day yesterday to recover from a 2 hour 30 min gig on Saturday night :(

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1431323897' post='2769879']

I wouldn't be able to do it these days Blue. It would mean retirement from gigging for me. I had to rest up all day yesterday to recover from a 2 hour 30 min gig on Saturday night :(
[/quote]

^^^^ This!!!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431304734' post='2769858']
I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that you guys in the UK play 2 hour bar gigs and for us here in the States it's 4 hours.

Blue
[/quote]

We do 3 1/2 to 4 hours hour sets at some of our residencies but it's treated mostly as background music and we throw in some loooooooooong instrumentals.