Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We had a great one last night, supporting Dr Feelgood.
Nice to just turn up with bass in-hand, without the usual load in load out drama.
Slight gas now for an 810 :(

[attachment=184633:The OHW.jpg]
[attachment=184636:Peg.jpg]

Edited by Highfox

Did a headline slot with the originals band at a Big Lebowski themed party at The Lanes in Bristol on Friday. Having never watched the film properly it all went over my head a bit really! It was the venue's first gig with their new PA and the soundcheck took forever! By the time we played at 11.15 the sound engineer had ironed out most of the problems though so apart from a few odd moments of low hum feedback it sounded good. Good appreciative crowd and some good feedback from people after which was cool. Have gone back to using my Ashdown hyperdrive pedal, and after some time spent at rehearsal this week tweaking the settings on the pedal and eq on the Shuttle 9.2 to suit the cab, finally got it sounding just how I want. Used my Streamer LX and had a lovely driven, gritty tone but still with a fat, well defined bottom end. Well pleased.

We had a radio interview last night, went so quickly, quicker than gigs!
Was great to be on a well established rock show. Interviewed was Grant Nicholas from Feeder, Joey Tempest from Europe, and us! Ha!
Happy to be added to our hosts wall of fame :P
[url="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/urbanxphotography3/media/NJ%20Overall%20%20-%20Copy_zpspnbfrhdd.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1424711726' post='2699469']

I hope that's not just because Tina Weymouth was the only female bass player he could think of!
[/quote]

No, if he only knew one female bass player it would have been Suzi Quatro. I get that ALL the time. So the Tina Weymouth comparison made a nice change.

Actually Friday just gone (20th) in Paris. Just got back. Probably the most amazing gig of my life. Playing to a 1000 people, but I did have 99 other people to hide behind.

You can just see me far right edge (middle) with yellow guitar strap on YouTube video. Nice gurning!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tko5z5ynSI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4Tko5z5ynSI[/url]

Edited by Mr Arkadin

Got a call last night at 8:20 from band leader that apparently we had a gig! Perhaps if he'd actually updated the band's google diary more recently than last November or maybe just told me, as he had evidently done to other band members. First night using a dep guitarist that the outgoing (paternity leave) gtr player found and said he 'thought would be OK' after they had met a couple of times for a short jam. I was amazed that a formal rehearsal hadn't been booked to make sure he would be OK in full band context as he'll be standing in for a couple of months. Sure enough he was woefully unprepared despite having had 2 months to learn the set. One rehearsal during that time would have made this abundantly clear but hey what do I know? So after band leader made some smart arse comment about my bass tone during the first set I duly handed in my resignation at the half time interval. I was planning to do it at tonight's gig anyway so just brought it a day forward, 2 years was always going to be about my limit with this one. Big sigh of relief. On to the next project!

Last night we played at The 100 Club, as main support to Sham 69. The gig sold out, so it was heaving in there. All through our set there was great applause, and people dancing/singing along to the choruses (we write easy to remember choruses for this reason). To finish we played our customary cover, Warhead by The UK Subs. Went amazingly well - the WAGs on the merch stall said the sound of the audience singing along was deafening. OK, not our song, but if they weren`t enjoying us, or we played Warhead badly I doubt they`d have had so much enthusiasm. I`d say it was, in terms of audience size (400) the loudest and best audience reacion I`ve ever had, in any band.

After the gig, everwhere I went people were coming up to me, shaking my hand and saying how well we played/how good we were. And when I had to go back to the bass amp to put the settings back to how Shams bassist had them, virtually everyone I passed patted me on the back and said great gig. Must admit, I did find it a bit bewildering that people were that much into it. Not that I don`t have belief in what we do, because I have, but this was another level on appreciation.

We sold a fair bit of merchandise too, which considering most people when they came in bought Sham merch, and that it was £25 to get in, was great that they still spent out for us as well. One guy who bought the CD told us he doesn`t even have a CD player, but had to have a copy of our music - we`re going to e-mail him MP3s of the songs.

So all in all a fantastic gig, fingers crossed we can get some more there, though given the way the promoters were also saying how much they liked us, I`d hope that was already in the bag.

Wow, that 100 Club gig sounds perfect - I can almost feel the buzz from here!

We played at a pub in Sheffield last night. The first point is that the organizer was sh*t - bad communication:

- Gear share was a guess despite repeated requests. It ended up ok, except the drum kit had no means of attaching toms. He didn't think to mention this.
- The lineup changed after a band pulled out. He didn't tell anyone about the new times
- The lineup was terribly incompatible (He had initially billed the Eva Cassidy style singer to headline, just after the loud indie rock band)
- There were no posters, and noone on the door to take money
- He didn't even show up!

Anyway, luckily we had a number of people coming to see us, a surprisingly large amount considering we were in a different city.
There was a brilliantly quirky electronica duo called The Dirty Tactics who I loved - really brilliant.
Our set went very well - tight as a button and new song Pressure played for the first time was brilliant. We had a great reception, encore etc.

All in all, a good gig, despite the best efforts of the non-existent promoter

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425114053' post='2704021']
Got a call last night at 8:20 from band leader that apparently we had a gig! Perhaps if he'd actually updated the band's google diary more recently than last November or maybe just told me, as he had evidently done to other band members. First night using a dep guitarist that the outgoing (paternity leave) gtr player found and said he 'thought would be OK' after they had met a couple of times for a short jam. I was amazed that a formal rehearsal hadn't been booked to make sure he would be OK in full band context as he'll be standing in for a couple of months. Sure enough he was woefully unprepared despite having had 2 months to learn the set. One rehearsal during that time would have made this abundantly clear but hey what do I know? So after band leader made some smart arse comment about my bass tone during the first set I duly handed in my resignation at the half time interval. I was planning to do it at tonight's gig anyway so just brought it a day forward, 2 years was always going to be about my limit with this one. Big sigh of relief. On to the next project!
[/quote]

As you say Kev.....it was only a matter of time. I think you deserve a "long service" medal lasting two years!

Good luck with a new project, let me know when you gig.

Do you ever do the jam session on a Sunday?

All the best ( I'll keep my phone turned off just in case :ph34r: :lol:

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425114053' post='2704021']
[/quote]

Wow Kev, I missed this. Disappointing to leave on a low note, but as Ray says, onwards and upwards. I'm glad I caught you in the old band, and look forward to seeing you in your next one :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425115146' post='2704045']
Last night we played at The 100 Club, as main support to Sham 69. The gig sold out, so it was heaving in there. All through our set there was great applause, and people dancing/singing along to the choruses (we write easy to remember choruses for this reason). To finish we played our customary cover, Warhead by The UK Subs. Went amazingly well - the WAGs on the merch stall said the sound of the audience singing along was deafening. OK, not our song, but if they weren`t enjoying us, or we played Warhead badly I doubt they`d have had so much enthusiasm. I`d say it was, in terms of audience size (400) the loudest and best audience reacion I`ve ever had, in any band.

After the gig, everwhere I went people were coming up to me, shaking my hand and saying how well we played/how good we were. And when I had to go back to the bass amp to put the settings back to how Shams bassist had them, virtually everyone I passed patted me on the back and said great gig. Must admit, I did find it a bit bewildering that people were that much into it. Not that I don`t have belief in what we do, because I have, but this was another level on appreciation.

We sold a fair bit of merchandise too, which considering most people when they came in bought Sham merch, and that it was £25 to get in, was great that they still spent out for us as well. One guy who bought the CD told us he doesn`t even have a CD player, but had to have a copy of our music - we`re going to e-mail him MP3s of the songs.

So all in all a fantastic gig, fingers crossed we can get some more there, though given the way the promoters were also saying how much they liked us, I`d hope that was already in the bag.
[/quote]

Great to hear!

Imho the 100 Club is one of the best venues in London.

[b]Hour of the Dog, Alley Cat Club, Denmark Street, London - Friday February 27th 2015[/b]

A bit of a chaotic night. I was supposed to be doing two sets with two different bands, but due to a fairly major error by the promoter, Cowboy Hat and that Fuzzbox Voodoo did not play - I did do the planned set with Hour of the Dog, albeit about an hour late, which was a bit of a pain to say the least for those who came to see us but needed to get home via public transport.

So apologies to Happy Jack, Billy Apple and bluejay, who staunchly made the effort to come and see us! Thanks guys, and I'm very sorry about the bands which preceded us - they were, shall we say... not really up to the standard one would have liked, to say the least! :)

The gig itself was very enjoyable. There were a fair few there, the atmosphere was typically rowdy for the Alley Cat and we got an enthusiastic reception. We also got good feedback after the gig too, which was nice. I was using an Ashdown combo which was surprisingly good and the on-stage sound was better than you'd expect. The only downside was a lack of monitoring level for the vocal, but hey.

Silvia (bluejay) took some pics (thanks, Silvia!) and so did the current mrs discreet (on her iPhone), so here they are. Should these go in the Live Pictures and Videos thread..? Sod it, I'll put them in both to be on the safe side... I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1425147027' post='2704522']
Glad it went well Discreet :D Your singer has a unique dress sense! You are looking marvellous stylish in the back :P
[/quote]

I thank you! :) Yes, he's got a woman's top on. He looks nuts, and is.
Having seen these pics I'm of the opinion that maybe I should get down the gym and leave the Häägen-Dazs[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font]alone for a bit... :D

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1424603666' post='2698120']
dog and gun maidstone last night - (formerly Conan's) LH500 head got it's first outing with the kick-backs and performed admirably nice to hear a decent amount of power coming through the 410 at last - our guest singer even managed to persuade our lot to live dangerously and do a song which we have never rehearsed (signed sealed delivered) which went down rather well not 100% accurate but plenty of groove and drive in all the right places so looks like its finally in the set list :lol:

[/quote]

I think your band has a nice likable look. However, I wish you had worn a black shirt.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425146784' post='2704519']
[b]Hour of the Dog, Alley Cat Club, Denmark Street, London - Friday February 27th 2015[/b]

A bit of a chaotic night. I was supposed to be doing two sets with two different bands, but due to a fairly major error by the promoter, Cowboy Hat and that Fuzzbox Voodoo did not play - I did do the planned set with Hour of the Dog, albeit about an hour late, which was a bit of a pain to say the least for those who came to see us but needed to get home via public transport.

So apologies to Happy Jack, Billy Apple and bluejay, who staunchly made the effort to come and see us! Thanks guys, and I'm very sorry about the bands which preceded us - they were, shall we say... not really up to the standard one would have liked, to say the least! :)

The gig itself was very enjoyable. There were a fair few there, the atmosphere was typically rowdy for the Alley Cat and we got an enthusiastic reception. We also got good feedback after the gig too, which was nice. I was using an Ashdown combo which was surprisingly good and the on-stage sound was better than you'd expect. The only downside was a lack of monitoring level for the vocal, but hey.

Silvia (bluejay) took some pics (thanks, Silvia!) and so did the current mrs discreet (on her iPhone), so here they are. Should these go in the Live Pictures and Videos thread..? Sod it, I'll put them in both to be on the safe side... I thank you! :)

[/quote]

Again, love the stage look of your band. You guys look like a band not punters. Cool venue too.

Blue