Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Debut gig for the Thin Lizzy cover band - it's never going to be a "tribute" in the whole imitation way. Anyway, a great pub gig once we shoehorned ourselves into the space we had and played to a crowd that really wanted to hear the Lizzy classics and a few gems. Had 'em clapping along, singing along and up dancing - job done!

did the heart of kent hospice winter ball on friday at leeds castle (not in the castle itself but in the fairfax hall which is one of the buildings in the whole complex) - i cringed when i first walked in at the sight of all the stone/ceramic tile flooring covering the entire hall however the walls and roof were a mass of timeber and stuff and it turned out to be one of the warmest sounding gigs we've done imho

Edited by steve-bbb

It was a very quiet support slot tonight, with maybe less than twenty people in the room, although there were a fair few of them dancing and grooving. Unusually, the headline band watched us play, and they were enthusuiastically complimentary. Also, the DJ had a copy of our EP and blasted out one of the songs over the big PA - sounded awsome :-)

just got back from a great gig with the bluesband. small pub with great crowd, great bose pa, great landlord. got fed well, free drinks (great if they serve guinnes and you don't have to drive :) ) and the punters filled our hat 3-times which gave us double the amount we had expected. so, happy end for everyone! :)

Return booking in Darwen, Lancashire last night with 'Slander' (NWOBHM). Probably our tightest performance, but we were all a bit lacking in energy due to bugs/sleep deprivation etc… :(

LOTS of positive comments after the show. Loud though (as always!).

Played a small pub gig fairly local last night. From a band point of view, good gig, lots of people dancing and loads of compliments about the band. From a personal point of view, awful! The acoustics in the room are a nightmare, always struggle. Wooden floor, small raised wooden area for the band, we play in the corner and both walls leading to that corner are predominantly glass. Even with my cab on the gramma pad and loads of bottom rolled off it was still boomy. Spent the first few numbers tweaking the eq on the bongo trying to make it work. Got something workable eventually, but only after I remembered having this problem at this venue before, and the cure that time was to use my Warwick, which I didn't have with me last night! The Bongo is an awesome bass but in last nights venue, and in one other place we play, the Warwick just seems to work so much better. So much so that I was sat at home having a brandy coffee after the gig contemplating selling them both and buying an old Streamer Stage 1, less brandy in those coffee's next time I think! 😁

Small pub in Derby - Thr Smithfield. Odd space to play, a wall obstructing half of our 'stage' area so we were basically playing in a box :( Very odd boomy on stage sound with some obscure resonating frequencies but all good out front...I'll take that! Got to use my Tokai Hard Puncher in anger thanks to Tobiewharton driving over to deliver and finish the deal. Another great response to the Thin Lizzy material so we're doing something right. A few weeks off then back at it!

Final private gig for The Rock n Roll Outlaws on Saturday, 30th birthday party in mid Devon. Down to a 3-piece (the way I like it), and a bit empty at first as all the guests were getting drinks, yakking, etc, but got going nicely, and wanting us to carry on all night as usual by the end!
Still not sure why the band leader wants to kill this - great fun AND a money spinner.
Ah well...

Played the Opera House in Manchester last night on the West End Woman UK tour. Always a good gig and crowd there. It was just a case of getting through it though for me. My son had an accident over the weekend and it was hard to fully focus. got through though. Played alright. The gig went well which is the most important thing. It helps when you have world class singers!

[url="http://westendwomen.co.uk/the-cast"]http://westendwomen.co.uk[/url]

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1416818272' post='2613765']
Played the Opera House in Manchester last night on the West End Woman UK tour. Always a good gig and crowd there. It was just a case of getting through it though for me. My son had an accident over the weekend and it was hard to fully focus. got through though. Played alright. The gig went well which is the most important thing. It helps when you have world class singers!

[url="http://westendwomen.co.uk/the-cast"]http://westendwomen.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your son, hope he's back at 100% ASAP :)

John

Combined 50th and 21st birthday party at a small village hall up our way on Saturday night. The usual high ceiling and boomy wooden stage. Couldn't get a sensible bass sound after 10 minutes, gave up and cut the lows and played with a pick for most of the night. The singer as usual knew everybody and as it was a byob event, people were loading him up with 'house' size measures. You can guess the rest! wasted after the first set ffs! Forgotten lyrics and arrangements, luckily our rythym geetarist was on the ball and covered it. Singer decides that jumping off the fairly high stage onto a low beam and swing from it whilst singing would be a good idea. He actually managed it! for all of ten seconds. Falls off and it looks like he's unconcious, cue lots of girlies running up to him and suddenly he makes a miraculous recovery! Jumps back on stage and 'goes haha fooled yous' Me 'so whats with the blood pishing from your hand then you fanny' Drummer has a first aid kit in his bag and bandages the numpties hand. People actually pay us really good money for this nonsense and keep booking us!!!! It sure isn't for my bass stylings LOL

The first leg of the Terrortones mini November tour saw us in South Wales.

Great road trip complete with tunnel screaming to get to Neath on the Friday to play at The Duke. Very strange place (even by our standards). Looked completely closed from the outside. Inside appeared to be lit by 2 bulbs for most of the evening. Stage was one of the most rickety I've ever been on and that included one with holes in it that we were on this time last year… For a while it looked like we might be playing to just a handful of locals but it started to fill up just before we went on stage (and even more just after we came off - had we known we might have delayed playing for another 30 minutes or so). There was no support band so we were a little worried that people might leave before we played, but cheap drinks and what appeared to be a total lack of anything else to do in Neath meant that everyone stuck around for the whole evening (thank you). Played a great set and didn't mess up the new song. Sold T-shirts and vinyl afterwards and headed in Swansea for some late-night drinking where surprisingly we sold more vinyl to people who hadn't even been to the gig!

We were being put up by Ma and Pa Venom for the weekend, so had a leisurely Saturday stumble around Mumbles before heading off to our second gig at The Mason's Arms in Llanelli. Awesome support band called Texas Flood. Played less well than the night before but a bigger and more enthusiastic audience made the performance more fun. Managed to find a dirty kebab after the show and avoid getting beaten up for looking too weird.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10801519_10152894911320948_4357094078461257922_n_zps4f781197.jpg[/IMG]

There's a whole load more gigs this week, mostly Midlands and Yorkshire, [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249026-dick-venom-on-tour-in-november/]with full details here[/url] so if you are in the area it would be great to meet some more Baschatters!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1416840551' post='2614113']
The first leg of the Terrortones mini November tour saw us in South Wales.

Great road trip complete with tunnel screaming to get to Neath on the Friday to play at The Duke. Very strange place (even by our standards). Looked completely closed from the outside. Inside appeared to be lit by 2 bulbs for most of the evening. Stage was one of the most rickety I've ever been on and that included one with holes in it that we were on this time last year… For a while it looked like we might be playing to just a handful of locals but it started to fill up just before we went on stage (and even more just after we came off - had we known we might have delayed playing for another 30 minutes or so). There was no support band so we were a little worried that people might leave before we played, but cheap drinks and what appeared to be a total lack of anything else to do in Neath meant that everyone stuck around for the whole evening (thank you). Played a great set and didn't mess up the new song. Sold T-shirts and vinyl afterwards and headed in Swansea for some late-night drinking where surprisingly we sold more vinyl to people who hadn't even been to the gig!

We were being put up by Ma and Pa Venom for the weekend, so had a leisurely Saturday stumble around Mumbles before heading off to our second gig at The Mason's Arms in Llanelli. Awesome support band called Texas Flood. Played less well than the night before but a bigger and more enthusiastic audience made the performance more fun. Managed to find a dirty kebab after the show and avoid getting beaten up for looking too weird.

There's a whole load more gigs this week, mostly Midlands and Yorkshire, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249026-dick-venom-on-tour-in-november/"]with full details here[/url] so if you are in the area it would be great to meet some more Baschatters!
[/quote]

Mrs C would love you guys... this is just her sort of thing, with the live show and everything. Do you have any Central London venues on your circuit?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416840779' post='2614120']
Mrs C would love you guys... this is just her sort of thing, with the live show and everything. Do you have any Central London venues on your circuit?
[/quote]

Thanks! Unfortunately no London gigs lined up at the moment - our last one was supporting The Meteors at Camden Underworld. However we are bound to be back in London at some point in the new year. Why not [url=http://www.dickvenom.com/newsletter.html]join our mailing list[/url] to get all the details in advance?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1416841195' post='2614129']
Thanks! Unfortunately no London gigs lined up at the moment - our last one was supporting The Meteors at Camden Underworld. However we are bound to be back in London at some point in the new year. Why not [url="http://www.dickvenom.com/newsletter.html"]join our mailing list[/url] to get all the details in advance?
[/quote]

Good stuff... signed up so hopefully we'll catch you next time.

Underworld is just around the corner, I read your review of that gig though and it sounded like the Meteors took the piss a bit, so I'm guessing you'll be playing somewhere else next time?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416841350' post='2614131']
Underworld is just around the corner, I read your review of that gig though and it sounded like the Meteors took the piss a bit, so I'm guessing you'll be playing somewhere else next time?
[/quote]

We'll play anywhere that will put us on and pay us enough to make the trip from Nottingham worthwhile. I would be happy to go back to the Underworld, the venue was great and just because The Meteors were total arses doesn't mean we won't be playing there again. Despite all that happened the promoter did well out of the gig and he seemed to like us. However the most likely place we'll be playing next in London will be the 12 Bar where everyone can get up close and personal with Mr Venom!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1416842516' post='2614153']
We'll play anywhere that will put us on and pay us enough to make the trip from Nottingham worthwhile. I would be happy to go back to the Underworld, the venue was great and just because The Meteors were total arses doesn't mean we won't be playing there again. Despite all that happened the promoter did well out of the gig and he seemed to like us. However the most likely place we'll be playing next in London will be the 12 Bar where everyone can get up close and personal with Mr Venom!
[/quote]

Well the next time your down we'll be there, Mrs C is a fan of men dressed like Mr Venom is in your picture above... personally I haven't got the legs for it :blink:

A pogoing physician in a Ramones T Shirt who'd had 10 pints was the highlight of our gig in the Highlands last week.
Well played 'Doctor Mosh' as we dubbed him.
It's normally a reserved crowd but they were right up for it this time. Lots of dancing and whooping.
No Wi-Fi or phone signal for nearly 2 days. It was like being back in 1977.

In a word, sh**e. It's the first gig I've played in more than twenty years where the band outnumbered the audience. By 10 o'clock there were four people in. We put it down to it being the third weekend of the month felt it unfair to continue with such a small audience so, we offered to pack up and go home. The manager offered to pay but we refused, hoping instead to get a repeat booking on a better attended evening.