Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423359710' post='2683984']
Well I'm just in from my gig tonight.

Welsh Floyd were playing Neath Little Theatre. We had a good crowd about 150 people.

A few hiccups pre gig in that the PA turned up nearly three hours late, which resulted in much stress and included me and the drummer having a massive bust up and screaming at each other.... He started it ;)

I don't think he expected me to retaliate so viciously. He apologised and we hugged and made up.

The crowd were really appreciative.

It was our first gig with our circular projections and they worked a treat (thanks to my hubby's hard work). It was also our first gig since the saxophonist joined us and he kicked arse!!

I made 2 mistakes and I am beating myself up over them!! I always do!! Also I couldn't hear my fretless very well, so have concerns that my intonation may not have been perfect!!

Although speaking to friends afterwards they commented on how amazing and flawless I was!!! One friend loves my fretless work and commented on how I give him goosebumps and nobody can come close to me! I loves him I do ;)

We had a few little hiccups but nothing which stopped anyone's enjoyment.

The theatre were chuffed to bits, as we'd been their largest live music event to date and so they made a tidy commission and bar take :D

We also had a film crew there, so hopefully we will get some good live footage for YouTube.

Also interesting that my mother in law came (as it was a local theatre) and she may be in her 70s but she really enjoyed herself :P

Cream crackered now!! just finishing some ready salted peanuts to stop the post gig cramp I always get (which isn't as bad when I have peanuts) and then it's time for sleep!

I love being a part time rock star I do!! Next gig, next Saturday!
[/quote]

Superb! Can't wait to see the footage!

Nx

Great photos mate!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1423385444' post='2684060']
not exactly last night was last friday but only just got some images - early start to the day as had to be soundchecked by 1pm - superb sound and lights by Panache Audio using a very nice compact RCF rig - then a spot of lunch from the venue and off down the road for a personal guided tour of the beeb (courtesy of our saxomophone playist who is a sound engineer with said establishment - the radio one live lounge is barely big enough to swing a cat!) and only two hours playing from about 830-1030pm and all packed down before 11pm - oh and a guest list including several top fashion models :P

[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1423572490' post='2686427']
[url="https://m.soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/estate"]https://m.soundcloud...palmer-1/estate[/url]
[/quote]

Very very nice. Is the rest of the band the same at all the nights you put on or are you the only 'house' player?

Not a proper gig, but our regular open mic spot at Barge and Barrel, Tipton. A lot of fun as usual, and during our cover of Sheela na Gig by PJ Harvey, a young man threw some underpants at us! :-D
To be fair, we do know him. He is lead singer/guitarist of another band that we are friendly with. It amused me to think he had gone along specially armed with underpants to chuck. :D
Or maybe he always has spare pants on him. Who knows...

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1423573842' post='2686457']

Very very nice. Is the rest of the band the same at all the nights you put on or are you the only 'house' player?
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. It started with me and a drummer friend as the core sction but he had to leave and now there is a 'stable' of players that I use (3 guitarists, 3 or 4 pianists, a couple of saxophonists and a few drummers) depending on what is needed. One of our early strategic decisions was not to have the same rhythm section every week because I think that, if you are a rhythm section 'afficianado', you are going to get bored hearing the same people every week (as I do at other similar events). A bit of mixing and matching adds to the variety. I also set up occasional gigs with no drums or other variations (this week, for instance, we have Pete Oxley and Nicolas Meier as a guitar duo, we have had Organ Trios and singer/guitar duos etc) and sometimes I book a whole band which has it's own bass player. As I don't really pay myself, I am the only bass player as a rule but I don't always play. I did use someone else recently just to break it up a bit (I was there, just let someone else who wanted to play have a go for 'expenses').

Had a great gig last night as part of our monthly themed nights.
This month was carnival so we had a samba band to start us off with Celebration suite and then a full choir in for 'Mas Que Nada'.
Absolutely smashed the set and got two yes TWO bass playing compliments :)

Only downside was that for the second gig in a row the mic attached to my GoPro failed - aaaaaaaaargh! :angry: :(

But anyway, :)

Well, tonight's gig was a world of difference to last weeks gig.

Last week we played to a sell out theatre, this week the grand total of 11 people!!!

We only just made enough to pay the sound man!

However, those 11 people were incredibly enthusiastic and cheered loudly :D

Also being such an "intimate" gig, we were able to chat to them all individually :lol:

Two of the 11 played bass, and were incredibly complementary and were very impressed that I played fretless.

You win some, you lose some.

But we still played our all for those 11 punters!!

A few weeks until the next gig now.

An odd gremlin-infested Friday 13th gig! Sound check run fine, then a strange vocal feed back that was a bugger to track, and a few moments with my wireless cutting in/out!

First set we didn't seem to get it together but that all changed in the second, although some one-stage monitoring issues mean one of guitarists going a bit "Jazz" at times - eek! A good sized room full of enthusiastic punters meant a lot of noise but not much room for my wireless walkabout so during Emerald and Suicide.

All in all an acceptable if not sparkling night, we got paid a 25% bonus and we've been invited back - can't have been all that bad eh?

Our first gig at a new-to-us venue, good amount of space, decent load in and parking area, but not a whole lot of people (apparently most of the regulars had gone to a party in London).

We were happy with our playing, but the sets were shorter than usual which left us feeling a bit unsatisfied, but at least I was home by midnight.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423963186' post='2691058']
Well, tonight's gig was a world of difference to last weeks gig.

Last week we played to a sell out theatre, this week the grand total of 11 people!!!

We only just made enough to pay the sound man!

However, those 11 people were incredibly enthusiastic and cheered loudly :D

Also being such an "intimate" gig, we were able to chat to them all individually :lol:

Two of the 11 played bass, and were incredibly complementary and were very impressed that I played fretless.

You win some, you lose some.

But we still played our all for those 11 punters!!

A few weeks until the next gig now.
[/quote]
Rock and Roll hey Debs? :rolleyes: Livin' the dream :gas:

I have often had that experience.......once played to four people....but soemtimes they are great nights because of the intimacy.

Great to hear that The Welsh Floyd are doing well though Debs.....keep on keeping on :i-m_so_happy:

Really enjoyable gig last night, only one other band on so we got a decent length set for once. Driving into London at rush hour was a bit unpleasant - ended up taking me about 1h45 to get there and not much less to get back (there was a crash on the M4 at around midnight). It was also a really nice opportunity for some family members to come along who haven't seen me play a gig for a long time (or even at all!)

We've got a much more local gig this evening, which will be a relief. I'm also very happy about the strict cab-sharing policy, because it means that I can go on the train!

S.P.

dog and gun maidstone last night - (formerly Conan's) LH500 head got it's first outing with the kick-backs and performed admirably nice to hear a decent amount of power coming through the 410 at last - our guest singer even managed to persuade our lot to live dangerously and do a song which we have never rehearsed (signed sealed delivered) which went down rather well not 100% accurate but plenty of groove and drive in all the right places so looks like its finally in the set list :lol: