Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1413107554' post='2574901']
Glad it went well Chris, I did call in at the venue around 11:40pm but couldn't see you, there were one or two guys packing up gear but I didn't hang around.
[/quote]

Ah yes, Chris' Taxi Service was doing his first run taking Mrs RR and friends home, before returning to perform band van duties. Sorry I missed you - nice of you to drop in :-)

See you @ H20 on the 1st

Edited by Roland Rock

Mixed!

Sound in sound check was great. Come show time we were all struggling to hear anything.

FOH sound was good apparently. So that's okay.

We all played well and the crowd response was positive.

I started to get a migraine about 10 minutes before we went on stage so didn't hang around for the headline act.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1402132126' post='2470257']
Interesting one last night...

Turned up to a usual sort of Friday night pub gig with my covers band. While setting up the power tripped no less than 5 times (before we'd even turned the amps on!). Finally managed to get consistent power from an extension lead behind the bar. I had a feeling it was going to be one of 'those' nights...

Next thing, we do soundcheck, who should appear... None other than Mr MDP! Thats right the infamous eBay master bodger extraordinaire himself is standing right in front of me! Turns out he's having a fish supper around the corner with his family...

He comes over after the soundcheck and says "sounds good guys" then leaves...

SO we get started, to a suspiciously overenthusiastic rabble of a few. Within about 5 songs, a couple of guys who were dancing (to smooth operator!!!) bump into each other, a heated discussion turns in to a bit of pushing and the place quickly descends into a moshpit briefly before a fight breaks out. (oh my days)

Police are called, they have a word with the worst of the offenders and leave. Allowing the meatheads back in to the pub!!!

Second set. And another punter decides to walk over to the stage area, expertly navigating the leads and mic stands despite his drunken state and makes a bee line for our singer. I step in his way and politely tell him to move away (mid song here so options limited) he doesn't, instead stands touching my shoulders watching my fretboard intently. I start to push gently away, guiding him to the edge of the stage, where he stays for the rest of the song playing air bass! In the end an audience member stepped in (3 times) to have a quiet word with him and eventually he backed off a bit.

Believe me, I've never seen a band pack up and leave a gig so fast!
[/quote]

Oh the joys of playing in a pub band! The guitarist/singer (in a band I play in) had to headbutt some guy in a God forsaken pub, in nowheresville, recently, for doing the same to him. He didn't seem too bothered.

Edited by gjones

Mmmm....odd! Well,not really...Turned up at the venue,a pub on the outskirts of Edinburgh with the drummer. We have recently joined the band and had not been at this gig before. The barmaid told us we had a choice of either setting up in the large,empty lounge,which didn't seem to having any heating on,or in the smallish bar area,which was seperated by sliding doors. We decided on the bar after speaking to the band leader on the phone. As soon as we started,punters started arriving. Mainly a young 20,s and 30's crowd,they were rather refreshed at the start time of 10.30.Within minutes we had them dancing...well,maybe it was more drink fuelled than music driven,they seemed to be enjoying themselves. First issue,dancing too near the band,arms and legs going everywhere,causing the keyboard player to fear for his rig as he held on too it a few times during the first few songs. Then the usual clowns coming up to speak to the singer in mid song,asking for songs we don't do! Oh I forgot to mention the drunk woman who,while we were setting up,told us to to f***ing get on with it and sing something! Anyway,it's been a while since I played this kind of sh*tehole,I looked around amused and it brought back a few memories! After one person too many stood on his effects unit,grabbed the mike and tried to sing,the singer told everyone to move back,whilst the barmaid moved some tables out the way to make way for the dancers.
I suppose it was our own fault setting up in the bar,but the gig went on untill we stopped at 1.45! Spoiled by a few stupid folk and the general don't give a f*** atitude of the staff,it was a pain in the arse. During the break the drummer had been rattled by some young guys in the bog,whilst trying to answer the call,the demanded he hurried up and let them use the urinals,when he said he would do so,when he was finished,they decided to turn the hand drier on hi,causing him to flee,peeless in to the car park. I think it was maybe a bit of banter getting out of control,but he thought it may have led to something more serious.....I thought it was funny,but hey,that's just me!!
Nothing new as far as young idiots with far too much to drink,not knowing how to behave when out...oh,then again,there was a few old drunks as well,one who would not give the keyboard players girlfreind any peace and another,who clung to the wall,sliding down it as we made our way through,Love Hurts.....He managed to hit the floor,and I don't mean dance,as we got to the end of it. All in all a pretty sad Saturday night out for me although I think the telly was gash last night and I got £50 and a free bottle of lager for my trouble.

Had a blast Saturday noght, 7 piece version of the band, back in the Worlds End, decent crowd turned up, played for an hour and forty minutes, all long instrumental funk tracks, lots of positive noises from the crowd, made some new friends, got asked back, got asked to do some session work for Sussex Uni's media courses (they are always looking for original instrumental music apparently :D)

So top night, cant complain :D

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1413203703' post='2575768']
I did the first gig the other night where the pub made us buy our own drinks !!! We got a great crowed in an otherwise empty pub , won't be playing there again .
[/quote]

You must have it good on the island, not many venues supply us with drinks.

I've taken to taking my own along (non alcoholic) :)

Saturday night at (or to be precise) on The Ferry in Glasgow
Always a great gig with a brilliant audience.
We're a five piece and the keyboard player plays guitar on two songs.
The photograph was taken during Quo's magnum opus - Slow Train.

[attachment=173742:TMN5Guitars.jpg]

This Saturday we're heading to Falkirk.

Edited by NoRhino

Opened up proceedings at an all day charity bash this afternoon...not only the first gig for this band but my first gig in over 2 years and loved it!!! Small but appreciative crowd and a vocalist who had never sung live before but more than held her own. A few gaffs mostly down to having too much fun and enjoying playing live again. Excellent engineer (thanks Marcus), great in-house lighting and sound and a return to the venue in the spring.

Job done!

Stratford on Avon - 90 mile hike, left at 3:30 set up by 6:30 managed to get drummer and guitarist in the van.
Good crowd about the 5th time we had played for them in last ten years. Hotel brought coffee and tea to our dressing room then sarnies and big bowl of chips :)
3 hours later we are on. Good news is we now stop at 12 not 01:00 as per contract :)
In bed by 03:00 now to empty van 11:20Sun :(

Edited by deepbass5

Friday with the Terrortones at one of our regular gigs - The Jam Café in Nottingham. It's been a while since we last played here (all the way back in May) and it's always a bit of a squeeze to get in. Luckily the venue had cleared the tables from the "stage" area early, so loading in and setting up wasn't quite as fraught as it can be.

The fact that we haven't done any local gigs for a while meant that there was a very good sized crowd ready for us when we came on. A short set featuring mostly newer songs and a duet version of "Tight Pants" with Headstone Horrors' Nat and a (slightly) shambolic cover of Louie Louie set up the evening to follow with a full sets from Headstone Horrors and the excellent Surfin' Birds. An excellent night was had by all...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1457496_10152795278344082_7281420711486625950_n_zpsf3493348.jpg[/IMG]

In many ways The Jam Café has become a ridiculous venue for us to play, and these days it's only just big enough to old the audience that the "Dick Venom Presents…" evenings attract, but for me that's what makes the gigs so good!

Played The Approach In Nottingham last night, the place was rammed and we had them dancing from the off. Seems playing Disco and more recent dance classics goes down well every time!

The night was rounded off with a fight between four women in their forties, leaving one of them out cold. Unbelievable. Do people really never learn to grow up?

Very very tired still today....fibromyalgia is a b**ch!...still I should mention our gigs as KevB drove all the way to Birmingham and bought the lovely Seashell to see us at The white Horse in Harborne on Friday night.

I thought it went well and was a busy night for the pub ......so they were happy....we got booked back for two Fridays next year and three Saturdays at the other pub they own in Cradley Heath so I assume that they were very happy :lol:
We had a small gang of bikers come to see us who also really enjoyed our set and took details to book us at their festival next year

Saturday saw us play at the Polish Center in Nottingham ...a private party ...big stage....very loud disco ...lots of drunken party goers....including the Hostess who kept coming on stage grabbing my mike and swearing at her guests to "come and dance you miserable f***ers!" she even managed to completely destroy my mic stand, these young forty year old party throwers really need to grow up ;)

That aside (she is a friend and was very apologetic the next day!) the gig went well ...dep drummer was awesome ( knew he would be...KevB knows who I am talking about ;) ) and I have become a bit of a celebrity among my group of friends who had never seen me play before.

great weekend ....paying for my silly dance moves and my rock star poses now though :D :D :D

Edited by Raymondo

Good to see you in action Ray, enjoyed it and might catch you again closer to home in future if I'm not treading the boards meself. I knew your dep drummer on Sat would suit most of the material you do, keep him in practice for this weekend with us ;)

Just done 3 nights. Assylum 2 in Brum, Station hotel in Evesham and the Zephyr lounge in Leomington Spa. Supported Redline first 2 nights ( their the lads that do King of the mountain as used on the closing titles of the The isle Man TT highlights show on tv). Last night supported Diamond Head, all gigs went swimingly great bunch of lads and awesome PA in the Zephyr Lounge. Ed on the desk was very bass freindly and did us a great mix :-)

Edited by Bassulike66

Well played my first gig on bass at the weekend. Just a half dozen songs at a birthday day. I thought it went ok until the singer and LG suggested we do a song we had not practiced as a band. Went from playing a reasonable tight bass, to a load of half hearted notes. Spoiled a little for me:(

• 2 weeks later...

Our singer, Ben, got married yesterday so we did a very short set to the reception. We've just changed drummers and the new guy has yet to practice with us other than the audition. This presented a little problem - "not to worry" says Ben, "a few of my mates who drum will be there, I'll get one of them to sit in".

Roll on gig time, we plug in and are ready to go... drum seat empty. Ben gets on the mic and cajoles one of his long-term friends to come up and drum... We blast through Song 2 and Alive with Jeff and we swap drummer. We're introduced to Andy and rip through Vertigo and jam through Pretty vacant and Back in Black as the singer had gone awol seeing off some guests!

Short and sweet 'set', sounded great and utterly gob-smacked how good drummers can just slot in seemlessly. Found out the drummers full names and I've now had the privilege of meeting and playing with drummers who have been in/played with: Blaze, Paradise Lost, Moby, Faithless, Groove Armada. Plus got to celebrate a wedding with a good friend and his gorgeous wife.

Happy days.