Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Saturday was my first wireless gig, and I've got say I loved it. I wasn't dancing around, but being able to move on the stage when required is brilliant.

Also the bands first gig for quite a few months which, combined with a lot of new material, made me quite nervous. A few silly mistakes made I'm afraid, but all in all a great gig and well received.

I think that the singer might at last be realising what a general pub audience wants to hear!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1431323897' post='2769879']
I wouldn't be able to do it these days Blue. It would mean retirement from gigging for me. I had to rest up all day yesterday to recover from a 2 hour 30 min gig on Saturday night :(
[/quote]

The skin fell off my fingers after the last hour set I played in my main band. I'd vowed to take it easy but with the adrenaline... 4 hours would see me down to bloody stumps.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1431465054' post='2771735']

The skin fell off my fingers after the last hour set I played in my main band. I'd vowed to take it easy but with the adrenaline... 4 hours would see me down to bloody stumps.
[/quote]

In the states if your working the bar circuits it's 4 hours. The only way to get out of it is to achieve headliner status. But then your going to be playing 500 to 2000 seaters and probably 4-5 nights a week. You will be traveling but also get a decent and significant bump in pay if managed correctly.

Blue

Edited by blue

Open Mic blues night last night. Not many bass players in so I got a fair old crack at the whip. Did The Hunter, Shake Rattle n Roll, and a couple of things I didn't know but which were a slow blues in Gminor and a fast blues in A. I'm getting so good at winging it now! :-)

Then the main band on were Big Wolf Band, featuring occasional BCer Ian Savage. Another one of BC's good guys. He was really encouraging to me when I first started out. He's a bloody excellent bass player and looks amazing. Anyone who doesn't think appearance is important should take a leaf out of his book! :D

Played another gig with a covers band I joined earlier this year. Same pub as the first gig, but this time it was pretty busy. The landlady told us she loved us and one of the band's regulars reckons each time he hears the band we sound better than we ever have before. I can't claim all the credit but it'd be nice if a little of the improvement was down to me.

I'm still the most animated in the band, though, which is a bit worrying. Apparently the Eagles were once accused of "loitering on stage" by a critic. Good job we don't get critics to our gigs!

Just home from our gig.

It was one that was thwarted with technical problems..... Our lights were playing up, our click track kept cutting out, the on stage sound was appalling, couldn't hear my basses for toffee (even worse on my fretless when I'm listening for intonation), we didn't seem as "tight" as usual..... however, the punters loved it and the venue want us back.

Unfortunately, my gig last night had to be cancelled.
Our guitarist's mother has bben in hospital for a week and a half. On Friday afternoon he was called to the hospital where the docs told him and his father that his Mum had suffered kidney and heart failure.
They were unable to treat the kidneys as the strain on her heart would be too much. Equally, treating her heart would be too much strain on the kidneys. All they could do was make her as comfortable as possible.
They were advised to prepare themselves for the worst. They were advised that she will deteriorate and when that happens it'll happen "very quickly ".
Incredibly sad situation. The venue were very sympathetic when they were advised.
Kinda puts the rest of your worries into perspective, huh?

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Played the Tywarnhayle in Perranporth. We played well, but it was one of those weird crowds who don't clap. Silent as an angel's fart in between songs, but loads of people coming up after and saying how much they enjoyed it.

We played a new one for us last night , the pub opens and gets shut down a fair bit ,but the new landlord is hoping to make s go of it. Lead guitars amp packed in after the sound check so me and rhythm had a bit more sonic space until he fixed it , that was good :)
But we pulled in a decent crowd , the best he has seen since taking over , so LL was very happy and gave us an extra £50 and got his diary out , so a good night all round .

ed to add , Ive just remembered that the LL provided drinks, served to the band and even helped us load out :D

Edited by lurksalot

Second gig of our weekend three, in a venue new to us, fortunately an enthusiastic audience made it a pleasure. All packed up and back home ready for tomorrow night, at my local pub, so a friendly audience guaranteed.

Last week's gig had aggro written all over it. The pub had been an established music venue, but the landlord explained to us that he stopped live bands because it was too much grief, but he had made an exception for us because we wanted to do it to get something on the CV and for the practice (ie we did it cheap). One rather drunk looking regular kept frowning and complaining to the landlord while we were setting up, after the pool table was moved out of the way. When we started playing, most were dancing, including the "doubter" and we got invited back. Result.

Friday night at McVention, Scotland's annual Status Quo convention.

We opened Friday with a 90 minute set, followed by Predatur (Insert an umlaut above the U). Saturday was an acoustic Quo set by Status Quoing followed by original Quo drummer John Coghlan playing a blistering 2 hour set of fan faves backed by Predatus without their own drummer.

Anyway, we opened with this Quo classic album track.

[url="https://youtu.be/y6VGRhj11MU?list=PLsLJVfohXabGjIV7PUIGgsvYgddALO4DC"]https://youtu.be/y6VGRhj11MU?list=PLsLJVfohXabGjIV7PUIGgsvYgddALO4DC[/url]

Not terribly, waking up to see the band talking about a mystery Youtuber that recorded it and uploaded a bit of the gig onto Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAesjkHUqo

Sounds pretty solid, I'm wondering what his recording device was. (I never actually noticed a camera there) But I can't see a thing without my glasses on.

Did a slot at Eaglefest up on the Fylde coast this afternoon. Played my usual DHA VT1/SM400 setup into a Genz 6x10 cab. Soundguy looked at my DHA a little suspiciously ( I like to use the DI feed from that instead of the SWR head, as phantom power can blow the SWR). Soon changed his mind when he heard it.

We ended up doing an encore (unusual for a festival slot, but there we are) so we stuck Priest's 'Breaking the Law' in - had to borrow a pick from one of the guitarists...

Bad news - started cramping up during one of the Maiden songs - off to the Physio in a week though.