Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Day 9 - Bournemouth

Quite an interesting day, although not for the best reasons.

We played well, the minor problems of the previous night were quickly forgotten during soundcheck and we were pretty happy with the onstage sound.

Sorry to hear about the end of your tour, surprised you didn't get to hear about it first but I assume he wanted to make sure it didn't leak out before he mentioned it, quite good to actually deliver the news in person.

I do love that building though, did a convention there and it is a really good building.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good news from our Sat gig that the lady has recovered and now doing well.

Dave 

That's good news. Full props to your nursey singperson for leaping into action so effectively, who knows, she may well have saved the lady's life.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Day 9 - Bournemouth

Quite an interesting day, although not for the best reasons.

We played well, the minor problems of the previous night were quickly forgotten during soundcheck and we were pretty happy with the onstage sound.

We played the set well and seemed to get a good reception from the crowd, so all was good.

There's a 30 minute changeover slot, allowing us to off-load our gear, during which time the crew do final line checks on the stage mic's etc, with the house music being the same timed number of tracks each night, culminating in the walk-on track for Kiefer and the band. 

As I was stripping down some of the equipment in a side room, off the main hall, I heard the usual huge cheer from the audience, but without the track playing. He then went on to announce that, after 3 days of feeling unwell, he'd tested positive for covid and couldn't continue on with the show.

Obviously the crowd were very dissapointed, but in the majority were very understanding. We hung around and chatted to people afterwards, which was nice as usually we would have been travelling to the next venue, but we'd already decided to stay locally.

Sadly, the three remaining dates have now been cancelled, which included Manchester, the nearest one to home for us all, but these things can't be helped. Still, it was an amazing experience and we were extremely lucky to have been invited onto the tour, so, many thanks Mr Sutherland and get well soon!

20221105_151246.jpg

20221105_175651.jpg

Screenshot_20221106_235142.jpg

Stunning venue

• Like 1

Gig at a club just outside Huddersfield on Saturday night.  It was coupled with a bonfire night and the number of young kids was on the frightening side (the number of kids doing 'Peter Kay' knee slide dance was above the torment threashold).  So the auspices were not great, thankfully many of the young uns disappeared after the first spot and normal service was resumed and a great night was had by all (especially the seriously big, semi pi55ed unit that teetered on the verge of falling into our lighting rig).

• Like 8

Got a very last minute gig on Sunday night for an end of season party for staff at a PGL centre (they run residential activity holidays for school kids) near Woodbridge in Suffolk. Amazing Manor House but when we arrived, realised that the crowd were pretty much all in their early 20's so a bit concerned about how they'd like our 60's/70's/80's funk and soul set.

Needn't have worried. This audience, lubricated by some cheap sparkly, were determined to dance all night and loved the music. What a great night and no more assumptions from me about what people might or might not like!

IMG_5336.thumb.jpeg.7ca4805c37f5c51c4716375800fac5fe.jpeg

SL-C-Accommodation-Bawdsey-Manor-House.jpeg

• Like 16

Great gig on Friday.  A longtime friend and former vocalist started playing guitar a few years ago and really started to put in extra effort over lockdown.

His dream was to play a gigbat his 50th birthday so asked us lot if we would be his band.  We roped in another friend, who is a great jazz/blues singer and lover of metal and got to work.

A few months and 7 rehearsals later we had an hour set   mostly Iron Maiden (Powerslave, 2 mins to midnight, moonchild, fear of the dark, losfer words, wrathchild), plus dio and priest.

He said it was the best birthday present ever.  100 punters (mates), loads of positive feedback and we actually sounded really good.  I was standing next to him onstage and he didn't stop grinning.

Added bonus, I got to be Steve Harris for the night and got loads of compliments.  Eventually the penny dropped that three of us had been in bands together for nigh on 30 years.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

Got a very last minute gig on Sunday night for an end of season party for staff at a PGL centre (they run residential activity holidays for school kids) near Woodbridge in Suffolk. Amazing Manor House but when we arrived, realised that the crowd were pretty much all in their early 20's so a bit concerned about how they'd like our 60's/70's/80's funk and soul set.

Needn't have worried. This audience, lubricated by some cheap sparkly, were determined to dance all night and loved the music. What a great night and no more assumptions from me about what people might or might not like!

8e5242bd-98c0-47a4-9234-ce3a4b4b074a.mov 1.73 MB · 6 downloads  

IMG_5336.thumb.jpeg.7ca4805c37f5c51c4716375800fac5fe.jpeg

SL-C-Accommodation-Bawdsey-Manor-House.jpeg

Cool , looks very historic.

Blue

• Like 1

Just got in from a gig in The Underworld, Camden, as main support to The Guana Batz.

Great on stage sound made the gig really enjoyable, and the applause & reaction from the pretty much packed out crowd was great. 

I used my Ashdown RM500 this eve as space in the car was limited, this put through the venues Orange OBC410, gave a great sound.

Overall a very enjoyable gig.

• Like 11

Last night was a standard Cheltenham acoustic race gig, endless aggressive peaky blinders wannabes bellowing for Oasis all night, meh. It’s hell but pays and there’s a crash barrier to keep the idiots at bay.  
Friday was a band gig, standard stuff, 50th birthday private job, ‘‘twas fine apart from the stage acted like a big drum amplifier. The guitarist was deafened. I, on IEMs, was not :) best thing I’ve ever done move to in ears. 

• Like 4

Two gigs this weekend. Friday was the first outing for newly reformed 'The Long Road', playing songs of the Eagles. At the last minute it was revealed by the guy who organised (one of the singer/geetards) it that it was a showcase with two agents attending. We weren't ready for that. We were a 6 piece on a tiny stage, no lights of our own and with a small audience. We played well for a first live outing, but not well enough (IMHO) to showcase what we are really capable of as the band hadn't tightened up. The crowd loved it. Difficult to judge what the agents thought as the feedback was filtered through the organiser, who tends to select comments to suit his own opinions. We enjoyed, there is potential to go forward and the money wasn't bad for a 6 piece.

Last night was a semi regular dep with Getting Even, the same singer/geetard as above (he's a mate and we've worked together for years) and a female singer. They occasionally need a third body to fulfill contracts booked as a trio after their original guitarist let them down. It pays for my GAS and I've learnt not to get concerned about the mechanics. I just turn up and play and it's a useful opportunity to try out new pedals etc. The singer guitarist uses a laptop for his backing tracks, the singer uses her phone for tracks and lyrics. Last night the laptop crashed at the start of the 2nd set and the phone stopped working after one song of the same set. No back up options so we played bass 'n' guitar (it'll be a thing before long) versions of cabaret classics. Sound was grim - the acoustic guitar was booming and there was no need for bass on many songs - in fact we chatted about me playing guitar for these gigs as it gives us more flexibility.

Despite the negatives I enjoyed both gigs.

• Like 6

Another gig on the outskirts of Huddersfield last night, we really are world famous in Huddersfield.  A nice cricket club, had a great night, lots of dancing, great compliments and happy punters. It was also a small landmark for me being my 200th gig with this band....ironic in a way as I went in as a dap for 8 gigs and just never left.

Now as it’s that time of the year it’s time to learn the Christmas songs 🎅

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 7

We love getting asked to play at Wembley Boxpark, although it can be quite a tough crowd, at times, as folk are eating and drinking with their mates and not necessarily wanting to engage with the band. Our singer, Ami, never fails to give 100% at every gig and she really helps to energise the rest of us when we're not getting that from an audience. I guess it can be all too easy to lose sight of how fortunate it is to have great bandmates, and it's lovely that she's still so passionate about the band which she's been fronting since 2016. Here's a little clip from last night: 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

Another gig on the outskirts of Huddersfield last night, we really are world famous in Huddersfield.  A nice cricket club, had a great night, lots of dancing, great compliments and happy punters. It was also a small landmark for me being my 200th gig with this band....ironic in a way as I went in as a dap for 8 gigs and just never left.

Now as it’s that time of the year it’s time to learn the Christmas songs 🎅

200 gigs...............nice one.

We are starting to get offers coming in now. We were just getting up and running when covid hit and killed our first year into gigs with the Glam band. Had to start all over again but we did change our guitarist and that's made a huge difference to the atmosphere in the band.

We started on the Xmas songs on Fri at a last minute rehearsal. They are fun songs to play tho.

Doing the Wizzard Xmas song this year so that's a nice one to do.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice wee gig in The Cave in Paisley last night with Emergency Exit punk band. Turned out to be a good size audience. Lots of singing and dancing and a few fall-overs onto the stage area. No harm done but i had to stop playing to stop someone falling into me and the guitarist lost his signal when someone fell right over his monitor and pedals. Like any good band we carried on while he sorted out the problem. Complete Control by the Clash too which is one of my fav songs to play.

I always worry when people start dancing while holding a full pint glass. Beer and mains dont go very well together.

All in all a great night.

Dave

• Like 7

Played our third 3 hour gig this year in a pub in Dereham yesterday, with the blues band I play in. They had a remembrance event and lunch for the Royal East Anglian regiment beforehand, so I wasn’t sure how we would be received but it turned out with enthusiasm. We also had enough of a following locally to get people to turn out on their Sunday, which was gratifying. I noticed a few members of other local blues bands checking us out. For this one we had the benefit of a sound man, so it sounded great out front. The singer/guitarist has recently got himself a wireless system and has taken to walking around in the audience, which seems to go down well. As we all have wireless, we are thinking of doing a 3 man conga at future gigs. 

All in all a good gig.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

200 gigs...............nice one.

We are starting to get offers coming in now. We were just getting up and running when covid hit and killed our first year into gigs with the Glam band. Had to start all over again but we did change our guitarist and that's made a huge difference to the atmosphere in the band.

We started on the Xmas songs on Fri at a last minute rehearsal. They are fun songs to play tho.

Doing the Wizzard Xmas song this year so that's a nice one to do.

Dave

I think we’re just doing ‘the Slade one’ and lonely this Christmas. But our drummer wrote a Christmas song back in 2019 and what with the pandemic and what not it got sidelined. He offered it up to 70s glam band Hello who have recorded it and put it out as a single - check YouTube ‘glam fever - Hello’. We will work out an arrangement and do this song in December also.

• Like 5

Saturday night at Cafe Indie in Scunthorpe. So many stairs to load in, I was sweating before I'd even started to set up! They had a brand new set of monitors, some sort of passive d&b things, but apparently they were totally maxed out and we could barely hear them. I switched to a quieter snare drum which seemed to pacify the singer somewhat, but it was still a terrible on stage sound. Apparently it was great out front so I guess the engineer did their best with the equipment available. Still, it makes for hard work

Sunday afternoon at the Black Bull in Gateshead. This is a proper punk venue. No dressing room but as much beer as you can drink. This was a "matinee show" which our singer has started doing on Sundays, so we were on just after 5pm. It didn't feel that early in such a dark venue, and everyone had been drinking for a while. The landlord did the sound from around the corner. One monitor at the front of the stage, one on-top of the PA stack to one side, firing across the front... after Saturday night my hopes were not high, but somehow this guy got an awesome sound out of his rig. We've been playing some proper big professional shows recently, and this little punk venue in Gateshead had the best sound we've had for ages! 

That was the last gig of the year for us, nothing now until January. I might get some sleep!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Did one in a local pub that reopened this year (which is a rarety round here, normally closing, not reopening). Paid way more than usual as he liked us when we did the first opening night when he started - which was an amazing night which, although I would like to think it is because we are great, is probably more becuase it was one of the first gigs after lockdown.

Anyway, started at 8:30 as they have built a block of houses next to the pub in lockdown so they now get noise complaints and we have to finish by 11 - had a hard 'no one more song' at 11.

Crowd were great, dancing from the 3rd song, very interactive, everyone seemed happy, came up afterwards asking where we were next, got some new people we haven't seen before, as well as regulars. Even the drummers mum said it was good and she normally doesn't (even though she comes to every gig).

• Like 6