Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 27/11/2022 at 08:47, Thor said:

We had a gig in Portsmouth last night, bit of a schlep in pouring rain, but thankfully the rain had stopped in time for load in, we played a working men’s club and during soundcheck their was a table of oldies sat with fingers in ears complaining that we were too loud.  

By the second song the oldies that were complaining were in full flow, singing and dancing and it carried on that way all night😁

i was using my Trace Elliot RAH600 back up amp as my DB750 started banging and popping during rehearsal last Tuesday, heard something rattling in the case so thought I’d take the lid off and found a loose capacitor!?  Guess I need to find an amp shop around Wiltshire or Bristol….☹️

2A1A1C17-2ACC-41E9-B711-00F06C15801F.jpeg

9B39B967-9CED-4071-9E40-FEF1E002C7DB.jpeg

9B54230B-7562-4D9C-A1B1-B1A5266359ED.jpeg

5B18FB58-963B-4504-A3D6-6D315FAAA550.jpeg

06FDB94F-560F-4ACE-8432-5A8CCEB285BD.jpeg

6FCDA831-3235-4567-ABF0-AAD9DD8D1C2E.jpeg

DC2626B3-5026-4432-9C17-4B6E5B105CCB.jpeg

Nice size crowd !

Blue

• Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 07:48, casapete said:

Done 3 gigs this week. Sunday was my favourite venue for our acoustic duo at The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough.

Usual brilliant audience, with some great requests which we managed to fulfill.

Forgot to take pics but this was the view as I was loading out.

IMG_2440.JPG

3 gig week . 👍

Blue

• Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 14:47, Thor said:

We had a gig in Portsmouth last night, bit of a schlep in pouring rain, but thankfully the rain had stopped in time for load in, we played a working men’s club and during soundcheck their was a table of oldies sat with fingers in ears complaining that we were too loud.  

By the second song the oldies that were complaining were in full flow, singing and dancing and it carried on that way all night😁

i was using my Trace Elliot RAH600 back up amp as my DB750 started banging and popping during rehearsal last Tuesday, heard something rattling in the case so thought I’d take the lid off and found a loose capacitor!?  Guess I need to find an amp shop around Wiltshire or Bristol….☹️

2A1A1C17-2ACC-41E9-B711-00F06C15801F.jpeg

9B39B967-9CED-4071-9E40-FEF1E002C7DB.jpeg

9B54230B-7562-4D9C-A1B1-B1A5266359ED.jpeg

5B18FB58-963B-4504-A3D6-6D315FAAA550.jpeg

06FDB94F-560F-4ACE-8432-5A8CCEB285BD.jpeg

6FCDA831-3235-4567-ABF0-AAD9DD8D1C2E.jpeg

DC2626B3-5026-4432-9C17-4B6E5B105CCB.jpeg

There’s a guy called Ollie in Bristol who has the user name Ampstack - he used to be on here and he’s definitely on Facebook.

• Like 2

On 27/11/2022 at 08:17, martthebass said:

Gig in Marsden, nearly ‘moors country’ last night. Didn’t look too promising at first with only 8 punters in at 8:30 so we delayed going on until 9:30. Placed filled up to capacity before we went on and two great spots were had and enjoyed. Did the first Christmas song of the season, the full Christmas show starts in earnest next week at one of our favourite little pubs in Huddersfield.

Nice!

We have a hand full of December gigs. I wish I could talk the BL into doing a few Christmas Songs.

Blue

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 16:43, JapanAxe said:

There’s a guy called Ollie in Bristol who has the user name Ampstack - he used to be on here and he’s definitely on Facebook.

Thanks for the recommendation, had a chat last night, dropped off the amp today, seems like a lovely guy and had a good chat about all sorts of bass related stuff, fingers crossed he can sort it out🙂👍

Edited by Thor
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We're doing Let It Snow by Sweet, Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade and I Wish It Could be Xmas Everyday by Wizard this year.

Wizard song has a different ending in each of its 4 choruses so trying to remember them has been the difficult part.

Dave

Dave, in your punk covers band do you do A Merry Jingle by The Greedies (Thin Lizzy & Sex Pistols)? If not would be a great one to put in.

28 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Dave, in your punk covers band do you do A Merry Jingle by The Greedies (Thin Lizzy & Sex Pistols)? If not would be a great one to put in.

For some odd reason the punk band doesn't add any Xmas songs. To be honest i dont really know much about punk songs other than whats in the set list and a few other Ramones songs i quite like.

I'll have a listen to your suggestion as i've never heard of it before. Might recognise it once i hear it tho.

Dave

EDIT : i do remember it now that i've heard it. I've put it forward to the punk band but we only have one punk gig in Dec. 

Edited by dmccombe7

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

For some odd reason the punk band doesn't add any Xmas songs. To be honest i dont really know much about punk songs other than whats in the set list and a few other Ramones songs i quite like.

I'll have a listen to your suggestion as i've never heard of it before. Might recognise it once i hear it tho.

Dave

Do a 'punked up' version of Merry XMas Everybody Dave, you know it makes sense lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Do a 'punked up' version of Merry XMas Everybody Dave, you know it makes sense lol.

I'd love to try that as i've heard another version of it where the bass line was straight 8's unlike Jimmy Lea's amazing basslines. That would work.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'd love to try that as i've heard another version of it where the bass line was straight 8's unlike Jimmy Lea's amazing basslines. That would work.

Dave

Love that Dave.  I agree it'd be nice to bash through on punching 8s rather than getting my head around Jim's melodic progressions.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

EDIT : i do remember it now that i've heard it. I've put it forward to the punk band but we only have one punk gig in Dec. 

We did it before Dave...two years in a row!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theplumber said:

We did it before Dave...two years in a row!!

No-one's mentioned doing Xmas songs in the punk band Steve which surprised me to be honest as we're doing them in the Glam band and drummer and singer obviously share both bands.

PS : do you still have your notes on it Steve :laugh1: :santa2:

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

For some odd reason the punk band doesn't add any Xmas songs.

I was looking for a 'version' of Auld Lang Syne and came across Der Toten Hosen, kind of German punk band. Then discovered a whole Christmas album and that they'd changed their name. Lots of easy to copy versions so great for a covers band. "Mit bonus tracks."

https://open.spotify.com/album/6fjZocev4hdF6prrHEQeND

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

If anyone's short of time, Wham's Last Christmas is the same four chords over and over...just sayin... 🙂

My least favourite Christmas song, and video 😆

In my old band we often used to do Wizzard’s ‘I wish it could be Christmas every day’ and always enjoyed

playing it. Great song for drunken folk to dance to as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

We are doing Fairytale of New York for our pre Christmas gig - would prefer to be doing a bit of Slade. 

We're doing both. Slade is much better for getting the crowd involved. We're also doing Elvis' Blue Christmas. Not my choice. It'll be a close run thing between the depressed drunks and the bouncing drunks. 🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

We're doing Let It Snow by Sweet, Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade and I Wish It Could be Xmas Everyday by Wizard this year.

Wizard song has a different ending in each of its 4 choruses so trying to remember them has been the difficult part.

Dave

Sounds festive Dave. 🎄 🎄

Daryl

• Haha 1