Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a hometown gig on Saturday. Turn out wasn't as good as I was hoping. Still good but not rammed like usual. This was the first gig with my new pedal set up so was a good test to see how it worked like... Good news is its fantastic.

Only real problem with the gig was the stage lighting... Couldn't see sh*t. Our manager was there to film us and you just can't make the band out. Shame cause the sound was pretty good

A couple of photos from our most recent gig:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1531847_781792965169779_1696480217_n_zps4f7e5e46.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1530338_781793321836410_1356807130_n_zps0597975b.jpg[/IMG]

The worst gig I've done with this band this year. Drums too loud, certain drums clashing and cancelling out my bass, vocals feeding back, songs played in wrong keys, and an ignored setlist. Horrible. New years eve better be an improvement or I'm off...

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1387738344' post='2315108']
Played my last ever gig with the band I've been with for 13 years yesterday at the local Golf Club's Christmas party, before I retire to go travelling with the good lady.

Brilliant! The guys made it into just the best night ever, changing the words of half of the songs in the second set (when the audience were well oiled) into anything that remotely sounded like or rhymed with "Bob" or "Sue" or "Bob and Sue"! (Sue is our lighting lady as well as having suffered wedded bliss with me for the last 37 years, so will probably be missed as much if not more than me by the band).

Our front man must have told the audience half a dozen times that I was leaving that night, and in turn I was showered with hugs, kisses and adulation (!) from them. I dug my lucky bass players pork pie hat out of retirement, played the Pedulla Sue gave me 12 years ago on our silver wedding and don't think I made a mistake all night, and we all went back to one of the guy's houses for cheese, biscuits and whiskey afterwards. They gave me a big photo blown up onto that canvassy stuff to remember Breeze by, and its now in pride of place in the hallway, just in case any visitors don't believe I was once a 59 year old budding rock star...... Life just doesn't get any better than this, but as one door closes a new door has now opened to our latest phase of life as travellers, something we have wanted to do for ages, and now we are both retired and waiting delivery of our motor home has become a reality. Have to go now as I'm starting to well up writing this. Cheers to everyone here and have a great Christmas.
[/quote]

Great to hear you've signed off on a high Bob, all the very best for your travels in the New Year

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1387738344' post='2315108']
Played my last ever gig with the band I've been with for 13 years yesterday at the local Golf Club's Christmas party, before I retire to go travelling with the good lady.

Brilliant! The guys made it into just the best night ever, changing the words of half of the songs in the second set (when the audience were well oiled) into anything that remotely sounded like or rhymed with "Bob" or "Sue" or "Bob and Sue"! (Sue is our lighting lady as well as having suffered wedded bliss with me for the last 37 years, so will probably be missed as much if not more than me by the band).

Our front man must have told the audience half a dozen times that I was leaving that night, and in turn I was showered with hugs, kisses and adulation (!) from them. I dug my lucky bass players pork pie hat out of retirement, played the Pedulla Sue gave me 12 years ago on our silver wedding and don't think I made a mistake all night, and we all went back to one of the guy's houses for cheese, biscuits and whiskey afterwards. They gave me a big photo blown up onto that canvassy stuff to remember Breeze by, and its now in pride of place in the hallway, just in case any visitors don't believe I was once a 59 year old budding rock star...... Life just doesn't get any better than this, but as one door closes a new door has now opened to our latest phase of life as travellers, something we have wanted to do for ages, and now we are both retired and waiting delivery of our motor home has become a reality. Have to go now as I'm starting to well up writing this. Cheers to everyone here and have a great Christmas.
[/quote]

I had a great time last night but I read this and thought, Yeah way to go!!

All the very best.

Cheers. :)

Played in Brum on Monday night. 2nd on out of 5 bands. Pretty quiet, being between Christmas and New Years, but ok.
3rd band didn't show up at all.

But we've been asked to do some more support slots later in the year.

Edited by bartelby

Good'n at the local last night playing with an ex local hero.
Straight in, no rehearsal and played everything from Day Tripper (in the key of A <_<), through Hotel California to Auld Lang Syne and back again to Wonderwall.
5 hours of crazy fun with a great bunch of punters and we got paid and had free food and beer. :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by Jazzneck

All a little disorganised on the part of the venue but we did our best and got good feedback at the end, venue apparently sold out of tickets and it did look packed by the start of the second set. They wanted us to start at 10pm and we eventually got off stage at 12:45 but we did have a break between sets and then an enforced break for 10 mins into the 2nd set as they closed the bar and we did the countdown for them to midnight followed by auld lang syne (no one else in the band could be arsed to learn it so it was played in from an ipod, don't know which version it was but it was really slow and rather dull. I was into my third consecutive cold and running a temeprature so it was all a bit surreal for me anyway, like playing through someone else's body. Worst part as ever is clearing up but when the venue stays open later than usual then you are trying to pack up around a bevvied up audience which takes twice the time. Even when they were all chucked out they just congregated in a mass in front of the doors which is the only way to get gear in and out of the venue. At least the slightly over double our usual fee lessens the burden a bit. Bizarrely they still want us to honour our regular first Sat in the month residency there so we will be back in 3 days to do it all over again, it'll be dead though the first weekend after new year always is. Might be an opportunity to thrash out some new stuff. Bought some cheapish LED lights from Maplins to give us a bit more presence, seemed to do a job and easy to set up/break down.

Went well in the end, crowd wasn't as big as we were hoping, pub was maybe 2/3 full - I think the £15 ticket price for a pub in a small village put people off. But we had people saying they came specifically to see us, and the people who were there seemed to have a really good time.

Was a long slog though - played from 10-2 with about an hour's break and the singer's cold came back with a vengeance after the first set and he couldn't speak after we'd finished :-s

It has brought home how much lighter my new G&L is than the Lakland I was playing last year - on New Year's Day last year my shoulder was in a fair bit of pain after a similar length set the night before, today it's fine.

A great NYE gig depping with my old soul/functions band. However it was at rather affluent venue in the middle of Dartmoor and was mostly attended by wealthy OAP's who were not quite up to the party - not sure they were ready for a Pink Panther ska moment in the middle of Minnie the Moocher or the obligatory Hendrix Auld Lang Syne...ahem!...none the less a good gig, despite being slowly roasted by our lights, but i got to debut my superb Genz Benz NX2 212...did the business lovely :)

Edited by Rasta

NYE gig, set up at 6.30, did 3 sets, 9.30 - 10.15, 10.45 - 11.45 & 12.15 - 1.15, 52 songs in all.

Crowd were good, though I don`t think they expected The Daves as there were some bemused faces at the start of the first set. A well-to-do looking group of people (family possibly) chose the table nearest the band and they really looked like they wished they hadn`t, though a few were tapping their feet/singing along by the end. Had plenty of people up & dancing in the later sets, especially the last which we did a Clash Pistols set, all the classics.

Altogether a good gig, the landlord loved it and really wants us back there for more, so job done. Am crackered though!

Finally did my first new years eve gig last night after gigging for over 20 years! Great fun, packed venue in Berkhamsted, everyone dancing and having a good time. We did two sets from 11.00-1150 and then 12.30-1.30 with a DJ in between. Got home at 3AM and I'm to tired to do anything today.

We were booked for a party last night at Alexanders in Chester , we unloaded early as they wanted us sound checked by 7.30 , but got a call from lead guitarist at 6.30 to say he couldn't get out as he was being constantly unwell :(

we called the guy whose party it was as they had not arrived yet and told him the score , and he said not to worry as his cousin can play guitar and could probably play with us , apparantly he had 20 guests phone and cancel with similar sickness :(

so with a phone home SWMBO brought in my acoustic guitar , the barstaff lent us another , and we pretty much busked an hours first set with the hosts cousin B) , We had re-sorted the set so that we had the rocky stuff that we could do shorthanded for the second set. the cousin learned that in the break :)

So from an impending disaster it turned out alright in the end , most of the punters that weren't with the party didn't realise we were busking the set . we got full money but made sure our 'dep' got his share

Just played The Junction in Rainford. Only our second paying gig and not many people (it being the first weekend after Christmas and New Year so everyone's skint). However, we really enjoyed it and we played quite well. A few bloopers but not too bad. I actually thought we played well because we were fairly quiet on stage and let the PA do the work. Great fun and hopefully we'll be back at the beer festival in May. Thanks to Paul (the owner/manager) for having us on.

Here's to the next gig on Wednesday.

The Golden Fleece in Stamford on Friday night. First weekend after Christmas and we were expecting it to be dead. Last minute booking, tiny pub, no room at all and several drunken fights (or maybe the same one in instalments) outside. But a brilliant crowd, packed to the rafters and loads of fun. Great surprise.

Unlike the gig we played in November where we turned up to "we've been trying to ring you to cancel"....the pub was closing down the following day, no-one, but no-one came in all night but with a guitarist having driven 40 odd miles to get to the gig, we played it as a paid rehearsal and took reduced money to cover petrol. Audience consisted of two barstaff and a dog.

The dog left after the first set.