Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Interesting London Zulu gig at the South African Embassy, playing an event for the South African Defence Force. We had a General and a Full Colonel singing and dancing on stage after they asked us to do a song with them, they sang the melody and we improvised it, it was brilliant fun and they had great voices! A lovely evening with lovely people (and lovely wine and food!). Many of these people had fought against Apartheid and I felt honoured to play for them and hang with them after, they were a really good laugh :)

This is the Full Colonel (on the right) who sang a song with us ..

Edited by xilddx

What's you're band man? We're in the same battle - week before you though :)

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1392075127' post='2364509']
Played a kind of battle of the bands thing at the Purple Turtle in Camden, North London last night. Four great bands (and my lot). A night made much more memorable when the stage caught fire! There are a couple of fans under the stage that I assume are there for the smoke machine, but one of them went up in flames as the headline act were partway through a song. The bar staff were useless, wandering off to find the manager once they realised what was going on, so I had to vault over the bar and grab a fire extinguisher. Passed it to one of the promoters who then put the fire out.
[/quote]

:
Just in the van on the way back from my gig last night with Musical Youth at the watering hole in perranporth, Cornwall. We played another excellent set. The crowd loved it and the venue was jam packed ,it had a low ceiling lots of wood in the construction so the sound was mellow and solid just right for reggae.

Jazzyvee

I think we fell victim to 'new management ideas' at a regular venue for us. Insisted we start at 10pm and didn't finish second set until 12:30am. Problem is that all the punters have got into a routine over the years and half of them were heading home at [i]their[/i] usual time so we were playing to a half empty dance floor for the last 30 mins or so. In fact the place generally wasn't quite as busy as usual so maybe they are doing other things that are keeping folks away too. Presumably sense will prevail when they start looking at the lower bar receipts. Also annoyingly they had put some games machine smack in the place I needed to set my gear up, no way could we fit our band in the remaining space if it stayed there so I gave it to them straight - shift it or no gig. Our band leader also invited a mate's trio to act as a support for us. Quite enjoyed their set actually, more than playing my own in fact! :happy: A previous bass player from the band turned up as did our own bc'er seashell. So I had an ex band member, the bass player from the support band and a forum regular all watching my cockups!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1393149163' post='2376582']
:
Just in the van on the way back from my gig last night with Musical Youth at the watering hole in perranporth, Cornwall. We played another excellent set. The crowd loved it and the venue was jam packed ,it had a low ceiling lots of wood in the construction so the sound was mellow and solid just right for reggae.

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

Sounds ideal - glad you had a good gig

This is us Donkey Hospital playing in the bar at the Sands Centre Carlisle last night. We share the drummer with The Freedom who also played. Between the 7 of us we hired the room, PA and stage plus sound staff for £150. We sold enough tickets at £3 each to cover the cost plus enough to pay a months rent on the rehearsal room.

We'll also be getting a recording of the night taken from the desk and mixed bt one of the staff which will go to make a video as we had two cameras set up and Barrie in the middle is well into making videos so should be interesting.

A good night had by all both bands and punters but I'm on a post gig come down now as I had to be at work at 7.15 this morning.

Edited by simes

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1194791104' post='86873']
Saturday night at the Fleece in Bristol... always a good night there, but the placed was absolutely rammed to the rafters last night... they hit the fire limit and were turning people away by 9 o'clock. Support from a very good covers band The Collective, nice guys and some unusual covers well played. We had one or two new tunes in our set, seemed to go down well. Crowd were in good voice, brilliant atmosphere and god it was hot! Too funky in heeyar..! A great night.
Bassist's eye view of the punters:

[/quote]

Looks like you were stage right - I have been stage left when I have played the Fleece.

Played a WMC in Camberley last night. More of a clapping crowd than a dancing one, and some of the people who did dance were doing it by the bar, not on the dance floor!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1393150361' post='2376599']
I think we fell victim to 'new management ideas' at a regular venue for us. Insisted we start at 10pm and didn't finish second set until 12:30am. Problem is that all the punters have got into a routine over the years and half of them were heading home at [i]their[/i] usual time so we were playing to a half empty dance floor for the last 30 mins or so. In fact the place generally wasn't quite as busy as usual so maybe they are doing other things that are keeping folks away too. Presumably sense will prevail when they start looking at the lower bar receipts. Also annoyingly they had put some games machine smack in the place I needed to set my gear up, no way could we fit our band in the remaining space if it stayed there so I gave it to them straight - shift it or no gig. Our band leader also invited a mate's trio to act as a support for us. Quite enjoyed their set actually, more than playing my own in fact! :happy:
[/quote]

Went along and saw this. I thought Kev's band were really good . They played a nice variety of stuff from all eras.
Alas I was one of those who had to leave before the end, due to a long drive and an early start today. That was the only downside to the evening.
That, and fighting off some Frightful Bounder who was trying to chat me up (no, not Kev, lol!) :D

Now you know why I suggested you brought along a mate with you - safety in numbers ;) I've edited my original post to acknowledge your presence, good to see you again but not the best of nights for us, a whole string of things added up to it being a slight off-night. Lots of gigs in March so we just chalk it off and do better next time.

Edited by KevB

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]On Saturday I finished a week-long run of The Full Monty with a local musical theatre group. Great fun with a fantastic bunch of performers and musicians, and sold out every night. Also the first time I’ve had to play off a bass score since 1991! The last night was full of exuberance and silliness: guitarist hammering on the fingerboard like an amphetamine-driven typist, silly slap-bass with OTT envelope filter in one of the funkier numbers, and two female cast members constantly trying to put the band off by coming backstage and flashing. Happy days :)[/color][/size][/font]

Well technically its now Saturday so I guess we did play 'last night'. City centre pub, not really a dancing crowd but we were going down OK. Suggested we try out a few of the new ones the band leader keeps bringing up but he baulked. In stead called out a number which we've tried a few times and it's emptied the dance floor pretty much every time. I told them from the off I couldn't see how it would work in the rest of the set but what do I know eh? this time as there was no 'dance floor' as such it just emptied a good third of the room and they didn't come back. Oh well another gig tonight (Sat) so ever onwards...

Played Source FM's awards bash last night at Miss Peapods in Penryn. Good crowd - pissed as a mattress, the lot of 'em. Nice to play with a proper sound engineer and top notch PA gear and monitoring. My bass was pumping thunder!! :yarr:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1392978478' post='2374797']
Awesome gig Nige!
[/quote]
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1393011538' post='2375339']
+1
It must have been a joyous experience! :-)
[/quote]

Cheers, yeah it really was. We had to play pretty quietly though which was tricky, we usually have a lot of energy on stage and that's partly down to volume and vibe. Really enjoyed it though, lovely people!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1393696802' post='2383506']
Basingstoke. Full of scruffy young people. Half a dozen came up to compliment my 'awesome' bass tone. Who crew how the rest of the gig went? ;)
[/quote]

Haha! You should post that pic you put on FB :D Were the peeps dancing? Having a good time?