Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

There's always some sort of 'system' involved with jam/open mics, ranging from properly organised to near-chaos but worth going along with whatever you are instructed until at least you become familiar faces. At least it didn't sound too cliquey. The first attempt I ever made to get up in front of an audience and actually do something on bass was a particularly 'in crowd' atmosphere where some people flatly refused to play with some other people. I think i only got up to play twice and then stopped going and didn't perform in front of people until several years later (wasted years in retrospect).

The Jam Cafe last night, a tiny but lovely venue with a continental feel. Gig not bad for a Thursday, some dancers and a reasonable number of people. A highlight was that the rider was not the usual crappy Carlsberg, but a nice Chinese beer instead.
The act on after us were great - grimly rap/ragga with bass and drums backing. The bass player was really nice and very talented. Slight awkwardness with the drummer, as we soon recognised him as the chap who had unsuccessfully auditioned (as keyboard player) for our band a while back! It was all pretty friendly thankfully.

Oh, and it got to play my own rig. I bloody love that amp :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

Played my local pub last night, the band's played there a few times before but this was the first time with our new singer. I had been telling everyone how great she is for weeks, and despite her being unwell, she still put on a great performance, including an incredible version of Janis J's Move Over.

Same again tonight, somewhere in Swindon.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1395482657' post='2402873']
Played my local pub last night, the band's played there a few times before but this was the first time with our new singer. I had been telling everyone how great she is for weeks, and despite her being unwell, she still put on a great performance, including an incredible version of Janis J's Move Over.

Same again tonight, somewhere in Swindon.
[/quote]

That 'somewhere' would be the Royal Oak in Old Town. I know cos I played there Friday night with Get Carter and saw your poster above the urinal!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395537127' post='2403552']
That 'somewhere' would be the Royal Oak in Old Town. I know cos I played there Friday night with Get Carter and saw your poster above the urinal!
[/quote]

We always get such favourable billing!. Someone from Get Carter turned up to collect a case of some sort while we were getting our gear in.

Edited by FinnDave

Really rather good... and rather welcome as things haven't been as good they should have been
through a lot of things outside the actual playing side.
New gtr and drums settling in..and the band can now obviously go up a level.
Still, things not perfect but at this point, not a real problem as the energy
and power is working.

So, yes, enoying it

Pretty decent, we had a dep drummer and it was her first gig with this band, but she's the drummer for the guitarist's other band, who I've also depped for, so she wasn't an unknown quantity; plus there is some crossover between the sets which helped.

Only downside of that was there were a couple of new songs we wanted to try last night that I think would have gone down really well (Pharrell's Happy and Mountains by Biffy) but she didn't know them which was a shame. Maybe next time, as the singer was suitably impressed with her that she'll probably be our first call dep now.

The other issues we had were the singer trying out some new PA speakers and blowing one of them, so had two stacks of three speakers on stage and only one speaker was in-use. Tried some frantic surgery on the speaker in the break, but no joy.

The crowd was relatively thin as we're getting on for the end of the month, but was still a pretty good audience considering how dead town was, which kept the bar staff happy. Despite all that, was a pretty enjoyable gig and we had a good number of people dancing in the second set.

About 65-70 I'd say. I was outside having a fag after the gig and this drunken woman is sort of leaning up against me, started running one of her hands over my chest, then down on to my abs, then...er... further south. Her husband was sat at the bar inside, too. Shameless hussy! I wonder if she was that frisky when she was younger - she looks like she'd have been a bit of a looker 30 years ago.... :ph34r:

Weird gig on Friday night.

Small town pub, rap music blaring so loud that setting up was done using sign language, and a middle to upper aged crowd sat waiting expectantly.

We played the first song and the audience moved their seats into 'seated gig formation' on the dance floor and sat there the whole night, listening intently and clapping enthusiastically at the end of each song and someone coming up to us at the end of the last set and asking if we'd "possibly consider playing a couple more songs".

Never experienced anything like it with a rock covers band. :D

Played a local club in Kirkcaldy last night, first gig in a month, but more importantly, first gig with new singer.....a few iffy moments here and there and a few occasions where drummer, guitarist and myself had to adlib a bit to get around a wee faux pas or 2 by vocalist. But all good in the end.

Odd one really. Wedding at the Oxford Union. A very old building that is the heart of Oxford University and every bit as grand and quirky as you'd hope. We played really well despite an awkward room with really high ceilings and had a packed dance floor all night. Did 2 sets (8.30 - 9.30 & 10.30 - 11.30) and between sets we were given food / drinks in a private room. The bride had her own ipod playlist for the gap between sets which we ran through our PA for her. When we came back for the 2nd set it became quickly apparent our gear had been messed with. All settings on desk had been adjusted, drummers sticks were on floor, guitars were out of tune and mics had been moved. We were all mega annoyed and then best man (some posh twat) bowls over and says "we tried to sing karaoke while you were away but couldn't work out how to turn mics up - how do we do it?". Discreetly told him to do one and then set about assessing damage and sound checking again. Luckily no lasting damage. At the end of the night we took our money before letting groom know about incident, reminding him of contract he signed (including bit about guests not being permitted to touch our stuff) and said we would be looking over our kit in detail today. He was very apologetic but I have today let him know all seems ok. Lesson learnt methinks.

we had a good one last night in Buckley at a regular pub for us , there was lots of bouncy dancing from the off , some superb fancy dress outfits in attendance , lots of singing along , 4 new tunes in , and to top it all lead guitar kept his chunking volume under control :rolleyes: , wound up the PA got the vocal EQ nice for the room and lots of compliments about the bands sound , so good news all round for that one B)

Mister Super Juice on Friday at the World's End Brighton.

What a brilliant evening!

Band soundcheck in less than five minutes, everything just sounded perfect.

We played an hour and twenty minutes of instrumental original funk, some of which gets a tad jazz funk in places.

The people who came to see us were really enjoying it, but even more importantly the entire pub crowded over to check us out, and get down with their bad selves

Tons of complements from strangers, the manager loved it, thought we were ace and wants us back asap...

And people who'd seen us before said we had really improved over last time and the four new tracks were great.

Chuffed to bits!

Highlight of the night? Getting an entire pub chanting "Tuba, tuba, tuba" before we played the encore tuba driven final track, I doubt that's ever happened in there before!!

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1395590279' post='2404061']
About 65-70 I'd say. I was outside having a fag after the gig and this drunken woman is sort of leaning up against me, started running one of her hands over my chest, then down on to my abs, then...er... further south. Her husband was sat at the bar inside, too. Shameless hussy! I wonder if she was that frisky when she was younger - she looks like she'd have been a bit of a looker 30 years ago.... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Chick magnet LOL ;) :P

John

Edited by madshadows

Two gigs over the weekend with the Terrortones.

First up on Friday another Dick Venom Presents… night this time opening for the fantastic Pussycat & The Dirty Johnsons at Nottingham's Jam Café. For some reason it just didn't jell and everything ended up sounding a bit lack-lustre. Apart from "SpiderQueen" it was a set of new material which I don't think helped. No-one in the audience seemed to mind although a couple of people did tell me that they would have preferred to hear some more "old favourites". I think we'll bear that in mind next. We do like to try out new songs at the DV Presents gigs, but I think this time we went too far.

So on to Saturday and off we we to the 12 Bar Club on Denmark Street in London. This was everything that the previous night's gig wasn't. Even the new songs clicked and we played a storming set to an appreciative audience, many of whom had seen us before and come back for more. Threw plenty of rock n roll moves as the following photos reveal:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1157666_10152032747252379_359725675_n_zpscc2501d6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1907616_10201754803647890_550817538_n_zps454309f4.jpg[/IMG]