Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Our gig last week, with the wonderful Jenny Haan getting into her stride. Blew the socks off the audience to see a talent of her magnitude up close and personal in a small pub.

[attachment=158503:Jen & birds.jpg]

(and to answer the obvious questions, yes we do have a drummer, he's at the back, on the left, out of shot. And no, Jenny isn't sitting down, she is just a petite woman surrounded by tall guys!)

A disappointing turnout - think I timed that one badly as all the students from the nearby college had probably already cleared off for Easter. Not being a student for a few years means I've lost track of these things! But we got a few people through the door so at least I was able to give each band a few quid at the end of the night. A pity there weren't more people as the other two bands were absolutely excellent...and I must admit I thought our set was a pretty good one as well. Hopefully we'll get a few more in for the next one!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1395701727' post='2405394']
BigRedX, I can't help but feel that that Warwick is a little 'trad' for your good self!
[/quote]

Ah... but it's got 5-strings, which is enough to keep it sufficiently weird. It annoyed the guitarist in Ellie Goulding's band anyway and that's good enough for me! ;-)

Edited by BigRedX

school night charity fundraiser raised over 1000 for NSPCC

great sound because of carpet in venue and absolute packed out with acoustic meat dampening - rather good curry too (event was in a large indian resaurant)

unfortunately with the starters pakoras and bhajis and stuff i used my fingers instead of knife and fork - even though i thought id wiped my hands clean the residue left on my fingertips proceeded to generate a most unusual sticky/tacky sensation with the strings and i spent most of the gig playing as though i felt as if i had half dried superglue on my finger tips :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1396013241' post='2409020']
Needs subtitles BRX ;)
[/quote]

It probably does. It's a relatively new song - written this year so even I don't know all the words yet (which actually helps as I won't notice when Mr Venom gets them in the wrong order and therefore won't put me off my playing!)

Played Rock zombie in Dudley last night with three death metal (or whatever sub genre they use). Was a really good place to play at and the sound was awesome but we were just on the wrong line up. We're not heavy enough for the metal kids anymore

God I sound old

well, just got back home. simply had a great gig as a dep. italian oldies -definately not my usual style- with an italian singer/songwriter/guitarist and band in an high class italian restaurant as sideact during a 5-course-meal and then showact at the after meal party. ;)
top food, top wines (just enjoing a fantastic 2010 Prunotto from Piemont).

we had a short rehearsal at 12am after the last gig in august 2013. different drummer and saxophone player, both top notch.
improvised a lot during the meal and nailed the songs very well to get the crowd dancing during the "party-set". played my cheap '81 eko acoustic fretless through my l.r. baggs para d.i. into my acoustic image focus sa through my SAD 1/12H cab. sounded great outside, but as usual just ok on stage if you have no monitoring and the pa is only for vocals, acoustic guitar, sax and cajon. but I did the job well, got paid and enjoy myself right now! :D

life can be good! Cheers! :D

I'm just chilling too with a shot of Drambuie having just got in from my gig too.

Function room in a gastro pub. Good turnout, not a spare seat and lots standing.

The odd wobble during the set but nothing major. Landlord delighted though and upped our fee and wants us back later in the year, so a result I reckon!! He'd already thrown in free food and drink!! I'm liking this landlord :P

We'd tried out some new lighting effects and they worked a treat!

Had a load of fun :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1396057909' post='2409612']
I'm just chilling too with a shot of Drambuie having just got in from my gig too.

Function room in a gastro pub. Good turnout, not a spare seat and lots standing.

The odd wobble during the set but nothing major. Landlord delighted though and upped our fee and wants us back later in the year, so a result I reckon!! He'd already thrown in free food and drink!! I'm liking this landlord :P

[/quote]
I like! :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1396057909' post='2409612']

[/quote]

Glad it went well Debs. There are some decent landlords about, looks like he was one of them.

Played a social club with a band which is not my usual one. I agreed to join them when they wanted shot of old bass player and I needed to bring a little more cash in. Great guitarist, decent singer and a really nice chap on drums who sadly can't keep time. They seem to think it was a great gig but I thought that with the exception of about 10 songs it was poor. I'm all about giving an audience songs they know and love but these guys are dead set on playing their favourite stuff regardless. Think my days may be numbered with them.

Sweet as a nut last night, both sets went down a treat, great audience participation on Gimme Some Lovin', dragged back on for an encore of Enter Sandman. Then to top it all, landlord says he'll pay each of us £10 extra if we do Killing in the Name of. No problem mate!

God I love Saturday nights, feck knows what I'm gonna do with meself when I get too old for this...

Edited by Mark Dyer

Fairly odd one in a social club last night, very muted reaction for almost the whole night but did manage to get a few dancers up on a few songs in the third (last) set.

The events organiser did say at the end that everyone had really enjoyed it and wanted us back. He also said it is very hard to get their members dancing and only one other band, who played ska covers had ever got people dancing which was gratifying. He then gave us a booking for the Saturday before Christmas for more money on the spot.