Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

played "the garage" in swansea last night!

for a new promo companies opening night, bloody awesome show, ok the place wasnt full but the other bands on the night all hung around we got people to the front of the stage even if we had to go get em!

sold a few ep's and impressed a few guys from other companies who came down well worth the 6 hours in a focus with our gear to get there and back!

andy

Played at Audio Glasgow last night, DarkSky supporting Die So Fluid on the Glasgow leg of their tour.

First time I'd been to Audio Glasgow (formerly Rockers I believe), a dark (and cold) space below the railway lines leading to Glasgow Central Station. Really nice people to work with, big raised stage, smashing PA and sound guy. We opted to use the house backline, a Laney Linebacker feeding an Ashdown 410 for me, and DI'd into the PA.

We played our 'rockiest' 30 minute set - probably wasn't quite rocky enough to really complement Die So Fluid's rock, but we got a few heads nodding in the audience.

Outstanding set from Die So Fluid, excellent bass playing from Grog Rox!

Very enjoyable night, would love to play there again.

Ralph

www.facebook.com/darkskyband
www.darkskyband.co.uk
www.soundcloud.com/darkskyband

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1398609952' post='2435687']
Definitely one of the more interesting weddings!....
Queen's Court Hotel, Exeter.... woodland creatures theme! ...... We had a go on the masks :)

[/quote]
What the fox say?

May Day Morning so 5.15 on Beverley Westwood with the Morris side to welcome the spring. About eighty people there. The team is going through one of those stages when people have moved away or have other commitments that early in the morning (or child sitting problems) so a small and select team which meant that not only did I play double bass but did a solo dance and led the singing of Hal an Tow (the May Day carol).

Was good fun, the crowd seemed to enjoy it and all done and dusted by 6.00 am.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1398923701' post='2438991']
May Day Morning so 5.15 on Beverley Westwood with the Morris side to welcome the spring. About eighty people there. The team is going through one of those stages when people have moved away or have other commitments that early in the morning (or child sitting problems) so a small and select team which meant that not only did I play double bass but did a solo dance and led the singing of Hal an Tow (the May Day carol).

Was good fun, the crowd seemed to enjoy it and all done and dusted by 6.00 am.

Steve
[/quote]

Sounds great fun.

Little gig in Bridgend last night, as a favour, we treated it like a band rehearsal. Thank goodness I'm on annual leave this week as I can't gig on a school night! LOL!

Very very drunk punter decided he would take it upon himself to share "all my bass playing tips from my last 30 years"

I thanked him, but said no thanks

"You should put some more runs in love"

"um, no, I play Pink Floyd basslines authentically"

"Are you a Pink Floyd band?" This was after the first set! PMSL! "Well Roger Waters is sh*t, you should play like Entwhistle"

"Um, he wasn't in Pink Floyd! I play the tracks authentically"

"Well all you are ever going to earn is beer money"

And well I couldn't resist the next line in retaliation "well judging by how much you obviously drink I take that as a big compliment"

I know, I know I shouldn't have dropped to his level!!

Very busy month of gigs, festival in Gloucester on Sunday, seaside gig in a couple of weeks and then a theatre gig! We only tend to gig a month normally!!

Similar experience at gig in an Army Barracks on Tuesday. Very drunk girl walked into our "stage" area, and proceeded to shout in my ear mid-song to ask whether it bothered me that nobody likes us because no one was dancing. :huh:

Edited by allighatt0r

The very best response to the classic 'wandering drunk' scenario is, no matter what they're actually trying to say, to shout "Brilliant! Cheers!" back to them repeatedly, and nod and smile in the most cheerful Fast Show style you can muster. Requires no actual thinking on your part, so your playing won't suffer, plus they get confused quite quickly and wander off...

Works even better when I've got my in-ears in... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1399041537' post='2440371']
Similar experience at gig in an Army Barracks on Tuesday. Very drunk girl walked into our "stage" area, and proceeded to shout in my ear mid-song to ask whether it bothered me that nobody likes us because no one was dancing. :huh:
[/quote]

I've come to the conclusion that mid week gigs are full of people with serious alcohol problems and no life!!

I'm sticking to Fri, Sat and Sun gigs from now on!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1399041901' post='2440380'] I've come to the conclusion that mid week gigs are full of people with serious alcohol problems and no life!! I'm sticking to Fri, Sat and Sun gigs from now on! [/quote] I've had plenty of PPS (pissed punter syndrome) experience at weekend gigs so it's no guarantee! I recall one a month or two back being harangued by a woman saying we should be playing sopmething or other by Westlife because it would 'get people dancing'whilst being oblivious to the fact we'd had plenty of people dancing all night and the lady in question was so paralytic we had difficulty understanding what she was saying, she could barely walk never mind dance!

Edited by KevB

Super enjoyable dep at the weekend with old mates. I don't half look grim when I'm having fun [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"] :lol:[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv3ZfUg1gP4&feature=share[/media]

Just got in from quite a nice friendly wedding reception gig.
It was in a posh village hall in Eccleston, nr Chester on the Duke of Westminster's estate.
Big old cave though, but was nice that the groom had hired in a big 12kw FoH set up - 2 x 18's per side and 2 x 15 mid highs per side so we just took in the 32 and a pair of mons!
Nice easy set up and pack down, lots of dancing and generally a happy bunch so easy.
Bit of a blag though as I updated the X32 remote app on my iPad earlier today, but didn't realise I needed to update the firmware on the mixer.
Set the desk up behind the speakers at side of stage, then found that the x32 iPad app wouldn't work due to running the old firmware.
It meant the poor sound guy was running back and forth all night rather that sitting out front working off the app.
Ah well, he earned his money!

Unloaded and home by 12.15. Better than the 5am last wk.
2 band members off to NY now, flying at 6am, doing a 2 wk US tour so I've got a bit of time off.
Hope everyone else had decent gigs?

Not been on with a report for a while (not been on much at all recently) Then again there's not been much to report.

Only just back from a gig that is 2 mins from home ... I suspect te others who had hour plus drives were in before me - that'll be something to do with being sent by 'er indoors to collect #2 son from the station and drop him home before getting to crack down the reeeeeediculous amount of gear I took.

Wal, BF Super12T & GB Streamliner was the easy bit. It was the bass pedals & synth & keyboard, guitar with piezos and a normally good acoustic model split out between the model, and a PODxT and sub mixer for all that stuff that took forever ... and after all that the guitar that had sounded great at soundcheck went technical on me when it came to be used. :angry2:

Still a danm fine night of prog was had & it sounded pretty good from where I was. Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Asia, UK, Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Rush & others I forget, and it went down pretty well.

Got a bit lost on one song we've not played in a while, but I think we got away with it.

Now what I have to do after the shower is order a GruvGear double strap as my replaced shoulder is/was REALLY giving me gyp after two hours with the Wal.

There should be photos & video to follow. Hopefully that won't make me change my view of how the night went!

I ruddy love a prog workout me :wub: