Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1391266036' post='2355160']
We managed to survive a gig in Cornwall's (allegedly) roughest pub, The Swordfish in Newlyn. Having heard of it's reputation, there was an element of trepidation, but the fact of it was that we had a really enjoyable and well-received gig. They seem to love their rock and roll. As a bonus, I was able to give my newly-acquired Geddy Lee jazz bass, and my new Genz combo a chance to stretch their legs. Good stuff! :)
[/quote]

You took your Genz into the Swordfish?! Brave man. :hi:

As our guitarist, whose band it is, has decreed that the Rock 'n' Roll Outlaws will play their last gig on 20th December this year, we are largely playing a selection of 'last time we'll be playing here' gigs. Last night, at the Red Lion in Exbourne, near Okehampton, was a double whammy - first AND last time we'll play there!
Was a good gig, many CDs sold, and one couple driving all the way from Plymouth to see us!

We had a demo CD made last year and have been dropping it into pubs around the area - seems to have worked as we're booked up pretty solid now till December. Last night was the first time at the Hole In The Wall, Stamford. We're a covers band (pretty much anything from the 70's up to today) and a decent crowd turned out - which was good. We played well - which was very good. Then in the break, someone said our backing singer shouldn't bother - which was less good. Thought things were going to kick off - but she rose above it, got pissed and sang better than she's ever sung before. Might try that again some time....

I was a bit ring-rusty for the first couple of songs and had that awful "oh Christ, I've forgotten how this one goes" at the start of a couple of songs - fortunately, my fingers could remember how to play them.

All in all, not a bad gig - we got called back for a couple of encores which is always good. Just a shame it's such a hike to the car park to get the gear loaded....

Week off next week and then it's Valentine's night. Best dust off the Erection Section

Last night we played in the Oystercatcher in Polzeath. For the uninitiated, that's where all the sloanes go for their holidays when they can't get to Klosters and need to slum it in Cornwall.

For the first set, it was one of those gigs where everyone likes the music, but you could hear a pin drop in between songs - everyone's too cool to clap, even though a couple of pissed up lads were horsing around on the dance floor and having a great time. Nevertheless, we got some very positive feedback at the bar during half time, so we soldiered on manfully, or in Emma the sax-player's case, girlfully!

Things loosed up during the second set and sufficient alcohol was imbibed in order to free people from their self-imposed fear of impropriety, and it all went dancey-dancey from then til the end and it was a good gig in the end.

There was a high proportion of blonde, fit surfer chicks with tight buns and tight jeans, which made Mr. Odysseus a very happy bass player. Bloody lovely! *wipes sweaty paws on front of flapping trousers*

Our regular drummer had to take a visit to the hospital so couldn't make the gig last night. Unfortunately his most likely dep was working in Cardiff until evening and got to the venue at 9:30 which is our usual show start time. We'd set up everything else so got his gear unloaded from his car asap and he got it set up sharpish. Quick soundcheck and we were on at 10pm, short break in middle then 2nsd set until about 12:15. I was due to attend a house party on way home, got there at 1am and was back home by 03:30, pretty relaxed evening all things considered...

I can't call it "gig" but it sure rocked the club for quite a few "songs" on an open jam last night. It is so blessing if you are able to create something really great together with some phenominal artists who carry you further than you would have been able to walk on your own...

Played a kind of battle of the bands thing at the Purple Turtle in Camden, North London last night. Four great bands (and my lot). A night made much more memorable when the stage caught fire! There are a couple of fans under the stage that I assume are there for the smoke machine, but one of them went up in flames as the headline act were partway through a song. The bar staff were useless, wandering off to find the manager once they realised what was going on, so I had to vault over the bar and grab a fire extinguisher. Passed it to one of the promoters who then put the fire out.

Edited by chriswareham

We had a terrific time at our regular Jam night last night! :)
We got to play 7 songs, we managed them all without any major howlers from anyone and they all got a really good reception from the punters!
I was actually conscious at the time of enjoying myself whilst playing. That's a first for me! :D
People we didn't even know came up to us afterwards and said they enjoyed it. Again, a first for us!

I was lucky enough to be playing a rather tasty USA Fender Jazz, lent to me by [b]KevB [/b]in an exceptional example of BC camerarderie! So I think that probably helped to inspire me. Some pictures were taken, so if I can get hold of any I will post them here so you can all see me weilding this wonderous instrument. B) :lol:

Great gig for us at Stamps Too last night. First time there and we were a bit worried coz the band area is very small. A handful of mates turned up but the place was mostly regulars who stayed for the whole thing and seemed to enjoy it (lots of cheers and even a few up dancing). The management seemed to like it as we got an extra £40 - result :lol:

Absolute stormer at the Pig and Falcon in St. Neots. Always a good gig there and the place was rammed. 4 new songs in the set all went perfectly. It's always a late one there and we didn't finish til 1 a.m. so didn't get home til nearly 3. So much fun though when the punters are really up for it.

Not last night but two weeks ago at my wedding.

Played a full first set with my old band that I had recently left ( on very good terms )

I had secretly planned with several people that they get up and play a song or two. They consisted of guys who I had played with many years before who hadn't played for years, people who had never sung live with a band before but done the occasional karaoke etc and also people who had not done anything at all but were game for a laugh.

It went down a storm especially with the partners of the people who got up who hadn't a clue about it. Had some great feed back afterwards about how special it made it and the people involved were so grateful that they had got to get up and play or sing with a live band and realise a lifetimes ambition.

It could have all gone horribly wrong but it didn't and was a cracking night.

Thursday 13th - Finn McCoul's Falmouth - a bit ropey after not having rehearsed for a week or 2. Went down ok though.

Friday 14th - The Westmister, Yeovil - very few people out as it was blowing a hoolie and belting it down with rain. The few punters liked what we were doing and have asked us to come back, which is cool.

Saturday 15th - The King William, Glastonbury - blinding gig at a pub packed with live music aficionados. Went down a treat, we all played well and we got twatted at the Backpackers across the road afterwards. And I can now say I've played Glastonbury! Wo0p!!

Had a quartet gig with Jazz trumpeter Steve Waterman and Essex guitarist Andy Watson last night. Monsterously good gig with great charts and great playing from everyone. I recorded the gig and it sounds fantastic (a few simple arrangmements can really MAKE a gig). Really exciting stuff. We also got to try out one of the tall skinny Bose PA systems which was nice. Next gig: Alan Barnes!!

Sunday night was our first ever gig that wasn't just an open night or jam night :)
We did an acoustic set at a local pub that has a regular acoustic 'club'. Drummer decided it wasn't for him as (his words) ' I only have 2 settings, loud and off'. So the three of us went ahead without him - but he did come along to watch.

I was dead nervous about playing without drummer - felt really exposed. We did some different arrangements of our usual covers set, mostly invloving Guitar and me doing more BVs than usual, which was a bit scary. But it went down really well!! We had a few friends in, but there were also some regular punters who seemed to enjoy it. I even heard someone murmuring 'Nice!' in true jazz club style during our version of 'Royals' B)

There were supposed to be 4 bands/artists on, but one of them didn't show up. So the rest of us were asked to do a bit extra to pad it out. Last on was a singer/sognwriter - great guy. At the end of his set, someone shouted out 'I'm A Believer'! He said 'I'll do it if someone comes up here and plays it with me'. As it happens I do know (a simplified version of) the bassline to this, so I got up and played and our singer sang. The audience loved it cos it was a bit of fun.

So we were all flushed with success. Felt like we'd just played Wembley :lol:
And what's more..
- the guy who runs it said he definitely wants us back again
- he also asked us if we'd like to do a support slot with his band in the summer!!
- I won a bottle of wine in the raffle

:) :) :)