Why become a member? ×

A mysterious chip appears on your brand new bass guitar.... you....

DDR

So... you got your brand new bass, it's shiny and gloriously perfect.

You take it to a tech for a minor adjustment

When you go to pick it up you notice nothing wrong, you're extremely happy to have your bass back and in fact you go straight to a recording session and play it all night and just simply enjoy that great tone and feel.

The next morning, you take it out the case and do some routine practice and suddenly... it's not dust, it's not a watermark, it's not some fluff from your jumper...

It's a tiny chip right on the edge of your brand new sparkling bass...

Do you :

A. call up the tech and ask him straight if this happened accidentally during his 'operations'

B. call up the band and see if when you went to the toilet someone picked it up and accidentally dropped it on a pin on a nail on the floor but then couldn't face saying anything

C. say nothing and accept that these things happen

D. take it to the same tech and ask him to fill in the chip while looking to read him for his reaction

E. ....................................................................................................... (make a suggestion why not?)

Would love to hear your opinion on the matter

Hope everyone is well

DDR

Thanks

• Like 1

I don’t care. It’s a guitar and, over time, will get damaged. If it’s a damaged component or something that materially affects the operation then that’s a different matter, but the odd mark here and there means nothing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Depends how tiny the chip is. As Burns-bass says, the odd mark is of no consequence. You're bound to add a few of your own pretty quickly. It's actually something of a relief to put that first scratch or chip in a shiny new toy. Saves fretting about keeping it mint.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DDR said:

So... you got your brand new bass, it's shiny and gloriously perfect.

You take it to a tech for a minor adjustment

When you go to pick it up you notice nothing wrong, you're extremely happy to have your bass back and in fact you go straight to a recording session and play it all night and just simply enjoy that great tone and feel.

The next morning, you take it out the case and do some routine practice and suddenly... it's not dust, it's not a watermark, it's not some fluff from your jumper...

It's a tiny chip right on the edge of your brand new sparkling bass...

Do you :

A. call up the tech and ask him straight if this happened accidentally during his 'operations'

B. call up the band and see if when you went to the toilet someone picked it up and accidentally dropped it on a pin on a nail on the floor but then couldn't face saying anything

C. say nothing and accept that these things happen

D. take it to the same tech and ask him to fill in the chip while looking to read him for his reaction

E. ....................................................................................................... (make a suggestion why not?)

Would love to hear your opinion on the matter

Hope everyone is well

DDR

Thanks

In my world, it's always my deranged son. Can't leave my bass 'out' if there's a chance he'll appear and start playing some American-punk racket. Usually manages to break something. 🤬

Edited by snorkie635
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

In my world, it's always my deranged son. Can't leave my bass 'out' if there's a chance he'll appear and start playing some American-punk racket. Usually manages to break something. 🤬

I like him already!

About the chip: great how you immediately take yourself out of the equation and expect differently from everyone else. Perhaps the manufacturer produced a subpar product with a flaw beneath the clearcoat?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In my world it’s “Oh bum!! Oh well!” …and no more reaction than that. 

Now, if you’d spotted the chip AT your tech’s place or very, very soon after, then you would at least be entitled to say, “Erm, look. That wasn’t there before. Guess you’d better retouch that.” However, having taken it to a session and then played it all night then it’s hard to say for sure the knock wasn’t while it was with you. These things can easily happen unbeknownst… either way, it’s hardly worth stressing over. It may have its first knock but it probably won’t be its last.

If you [want / feel you need] to pay to get it retouched, that’s for you to decide but don’t get into mind games with it like your Option D.

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you only play a bass at home you might be able to keep it quite shiny and unmarked by playing in your PJ's and always putting it straight back in its case. Imagine how ticked off you would be to mark it after 5 years of keeping it pristine.

Taking it out into the world to be used you got zero chance of it lasting 5 years. You are just ticked off that it happened already.

Not the same level of ticked off I hope. If it is you have bigger problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

E. Feel glad it's only a tiny chip and happy that it plays really nicely

I know it's probably not going to help but my bass is just over a year old now and is still looking pretty much pristine even after 50+ gigs, and despite being gloss black. I'm half thinking of deliberately putting a dink in it to save worrying about it 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1