Why become a member? ×

If you could, would you be a Pro player

TheGreek

In years gone by I thought I would have loved to have been a Pro bassist.

Obviously there have to be sacrifices - relationships seem to take a beating. 

Arguments with Record companies,  getting ripped off by managers and ending up hating your band mates all seem commonplace. 

Fame and fortune are fleeting, and it must be really grating to others to hear "don't you know who I am". 

Most of us play because we love to. When it becomes a job that must suffer. 

So given the opportunity who would have been a Pro player as a career?

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

• TheGreek changed the title to If you could, would you be a Pro player

I was going to be in a signed band at one point. Unfortunately it transpired that the A&R mam was just interesting in grooming the 17 year old singer. Who told him in no uncertain terms that he wasn't into men. 

Well, that and I got thrown out of the band because I wouldn't grow my hair long because my day job required me to look smart. 🤣

My dad was semi-pro and out playing every weekend and he told me to get proper job and play music as a paid hobby. 

He was right. 

• Like 7

There may have been a time where independent musicians could make a decent living but that era has been and gone.

Some might still be able to scrape a living but you can only survive on cornflakes and pot noodle for so long.

• Like 2

Depends what you mean as pro? Not many make it as artists/ famous bands. I wanted to be a session musician until I really understood what that meant, travelling the length of the country to play a wedding, corporate gig, Christmas party ect. All for a moderate living and unhealthy work/ life balance. Then I found that a lot of bands out there require BVs and there’s no way anyone would pay for that from me.

• Like 4

I spent a few years playing 'pro' (ie: full time...) in variety bands, but we're far from any notion of fame and fortune (just as well, as they've never been my goals...). After a while I supplemented my income with a job as technician in a music shop, which brought regular dep propositions. Once we bought our cottage, I took on other employment, but continued playing week-ends for functions, weddings etc. Now retired, from work and playing, mostly, but still gig, rarely, with a group formed a couple of decades ago, with our two sons and buddies. Happy daze. :friends:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Obviously there have to be sacrifices - relationships seem to take a beating. 

I have a very good friend who I only see once in about every three years due to his incredibly busy schedule. He has three very high level jobs as a pro drummer and MD. One get together was near to Christmas, and when we talked about what we were doing there was some genuine sadness and regret that he doesn't have his own family. His level of touring just wasn't compatible with a steady relationship. 

• Like 1

Never wanted to be a professional musician. As OP states, too many strains on relationships. I also refuse to fly anywhere  - ever (no discussion). Generally don't like travel and always liked early beddy-byes. Hate hotels. Will not be told what/how to play.

just as well I never wanted to be a professional musician. 😵‍💫

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Never wanted to be a professional musician. As OP states, too many strains on relationships. I also refuse to fly anywhere  - ever (no discussion). Generally don't like travel and always liked early beddy-byes. Hate hotels. Will not be told what/how to play.

just as well I never wanted to be a professional musician. 😵‍💫

Yep I hear you. I've always been too partial to my own bed and toilet to ever be away from them for too long. Besides, I only like playing music I'd choose to listen to and could never bring myself to be a hired hand, whether in someone's band or as a sessioner. Then there's the stuff about being away too long getting in the way of lurve and a good social life. Playing in bands as a hobby has been enough for me..

• Like 3

I always knew I’d never be what most people think of as a pro musician - original material, record

company and management involvement, trying to find fame and riches etc.

I have though been a pro bassist for 30 years, doing all the stuff you need to in order to make 

a living - functions, weddings, corporate events and then theatre tours with tribute bands. 
I left a boring and increasingly pressurised job in the early 90’s that was making me uptight

and stressed, and went pro which initially made me feel the same way! However, it has 

turned out to be the right course for me, and am soon retiring at the age of 66. I’m going

to continue gigging with my acoustic duo, and the odd dep gig that may come along.

I understand it isn’t for everyone, but I’d do it all over again if I had a second time around. 

• Like 10

I was pro for long enough to realise I wasn't really going to make any money out of it.

I've enjoyed being a weekend warrior for the last few decades though. It took a lot of pressure away from playing, not having to earn a living from it. Now that I'm a fair bit closer to retirement, the house is nearly paid for and the family has grown up, I might have considered it. But then I like my life: I'm in a nice place

• Like 2

I was lucky to be one of the few who has been pro and I say lucky as for me, I was living my dream so I look back with absolutely zero regrets. It is incredibly hard work, absolutely no doubt about it and the band have all fallen out and no longer speak to each other, arguments with the record company resulting in us suing them and winning, arguments with producers, managers and A&R guys, we've had it all. Plus its incredibly tiring both mentally and physically and even go as far as stressful and a pressure cooker environment at times.

However, I loved absolutely every second of it because I was living my dream. From the many years of playing hundreds of gigs, travelling up and down the country, building a buzz and a following to then get the offer of a record deal and that moment where you go into work, stick two fingers up and say to all the doubters, you've done it and you're out of here, see ya. Then putting pen to paper and actually signing your record deal. Getting an advance and heading down to the Bass Centre in Wapping, picking out your dream bass, a huge rig, a spare bass and other bits and pieces and saying, the record company will pay just felt so good. Spending 6 months living in a studio with a top producer recording the album and b-sides while having our own chef, cottage and being able to focus 100% on music and being creative was incredible. Then going on tours to promote the album with our own crew, tour bus, tour manager was to me awesome. I loved going on tour, travelling, seeing new places, staying in hotels, meeting new people, playing new venues and being fed and watered was amazing but the rest of the band didn't seem to enjoy it as much and found it tiring, boring and a bit of a slog. Plus, playing two John Peel session, a Virgin session, Radio 1 roadshows, advert music, songs on the radio, CD and records in shops, interviews, photoshoots which I did hate, and then all the fan mail, gifts, being spotted and the attention.

What's not to like but as I say it was hard work. Being locked in the studio was hard as you'd have periods of doing nothing for days and its no 9 to 5 type schedule either. For example, it's 2am and we need you to lay some vocals down or let's start recording the bass for this song at 9pm and after trying lots other ideas, its 4am and you are mentally drained. You then go to bed to then get called back 2 hours later for something else. Then, being locked in a studio for weeks or months, not seeing anyone but the same few people can do things to you. Just going out to the shops feels odd and all of the band had periods of paranoia thinking people are staring at them. Plus you don't see girlfriends or family and you do kind of get used to that so it can cause tension when you do to the point of feeling like you don't want to be there and you can't wait to leave again. Then the pressure of writing new material, maintaining an image, not just from gig to gig but photo shoots, interviews, TV etc. Keeping relationships among the band and crew can also be challenging and maintaining a positive attitude to keep selling the band and yourself to fans, promoters, radio stations, pluggers etc. can also be draining. You do live in a bubble and you can be so isolated from the real world but also living in a pressure cooker and not actually realise until it explodes.

However, we were pretty smart, we knew we were all young so we negotiated with the record company to not give us our advance in one hit to last us 3 years as certain band members would spunk it all on various alcohol and substances within a year but instead, pay it to us monthly. We also set a routine which was Sunday and Monday is our day off, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we'd either stay at the rehearsal studio to write songs and rehearse from 10am till 7pm and then spend the evening having dinner and then Friday and Saturday we'd gig. If we weren't at the rehearsal studio, then me and the singer would stay at mine to write songs and the other two in the band would do band admin, promotion, tax forms etc. It actually worked and we stayed on the straight and narrow and did quite well and actually became quite savvy. So as I say no regrets.

This is the moment I'm actually signing the record deal with the lawyers in London 😁

141649252_1305891636448888_5115430030769004254_n.thumb.jpg.4a6e700f4786da205532d250f0c6a974.jpg

My bass corner at ths rehearsal studio.

196643_1002270689848_1474_n.jpg.e8112469059c839e392b3e03c8c26b46.jpg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Right now, as an almost forty years old with a wife, two kids, and a dog... No. Not unless I won the Euro Millions (no email telling me to check last night's results so I haven't) and money was no object so I could basically be in my covers band as a "full time" job.

As a younger man I'd like to have given it a go with a band. I have never been good enough a player to adapt to instant instruction on new material so I would never get remotely near studio work, sadly. 

Having acquaintances who tried to make a living out of music I know it's really, really tough. One quickly became a teacher, the other worked for a music hire company. One travelled all over London rarely breaking even on his travel and expenses to play gigs for anyone who'd ask, the other was in a band who were desperate to "make it" and wanted a lot more dedication than he could give. Weirdly they are good mates together and both moved to London with a band trying to make it in the first place, probably early 2000's. 

• Like 1

I had the chance to go pro towards the late 80's through circumstance - you know, one of those right place, right moment deals with a Glasgow band flying high in the charts ...

As a school dropout with no qualifications two buses arrived at the same time and another opportunity coincided, namely the offer of a 'job for life' which paid well and offered a good pension. 

Once I'd weighed the implications I opted for the steady income stream.

No real surprise, I hated the job. It's particularly difficult for those more inclined to creative expression to fit into the mainstream. Nonetheless, in the end it gave my family a comfortable life and I retired at fifty-two. 

Given the 'what if' factor, would I do the same again? Definitely not. If I had the chance I wouldn't do anything again. Why would anyone. Life's about new experiences, right? 

My only regrets centre on the things I didn't do.

• Like 1

If you asked me when I was 18 = yes. 

If you ask me now (44 with 2 kids) = no. 

A band rehearsal mid-week and a local gig at the weekend is what I do, and that's about as much time I want to put to it. No finance pressure means it's just for fun. I've got a 9-5 that's interesting enough and reliable to pay my bills without me stressing. 

There's some ambitious band talk about getting bigger, it's nice to have the ambition I guess, but I'd perhaps have to quit if there was much more travel and time being spent on it and more pressure. 

• Like 2

Being a musician in my own band, making our own music and making sufficient money without having to play 5 nights a week in some duff sports bar would be excellent...

However, I don't think I could do the session musician thing. It always appals me to read some ace player's resume - "X played with Miles Davis and Stanley Clarke, also with Deep Purple and Hendrix and went on to be in-demand session musician to play with the likes of Little Mix, The Spice Girls, Take That and Black Lace". 

• Like 2

I suppose it depends on the definition of being a "Professional Musician".

Some of us would consider it being in a signed originals band, touring, recording, playing gigs etc. 

The reality is being in Wedding / Function / Lounge / Cruise / Theatre settings, playing any one of thousands of cover songs on request, playing shows daily, sacrificing evenings & weekends, travelling all over the place.

I had a chance to audition for a signed band in the 90's, but turned it down as I didn't think I was good enough. 

• Like 1

I'd like to have given it a go when I was younger, just for a short while. Maybe a couple of cruise ship tours. But the only people I know making a living from music are music teachers. I've run a couple of small businesses in my time and I found it really hard to make the same money as I could make working for someone else. I expect being a self-employed musician would have been the same. 

• Like 2

I formed my first band with the intention of 'making it' (which was the equivalent of 'turning pro' for us although we didn't think of it like that at the time). If we hadn't had that ambition, I doubt I'd be playing in bands now as it gave me the motivation to learn and improve on my instrument, to write songs and record them and to play live. But with the gift of hindsight we were never going to get far as we didn't have the all out dedication and energy. We gave it a few years and although we gigged regularly, it wasn't really happening the way we wanted and as an originals band, the money was dire. For most of that time, we also held down jobs and I decided that when I was making as much money from gigging as I was getting from the job, I would quit the mainstream and be a 'professional' musician. Still waiting for that trigger 😂.

When I moved on to play in covers bands and duos, I realised that I didn't want to be a professional musician (I was playing guitar and bass depending on the line up) as although I liked the performance element, playing a limited set list was dull and I struggled with maintaining the level of enthusiasm required. 

So apart from a few years in the mid 80s, I have never wanted to be a pro player. For the most part I've enjoyed the level at which I play and I think had I gone down the pro player route it would have ruined the simple pleasure I get from picking up the bass and tinkering with my effects boxes and amp.

• Like 2

I studied sound engineering, worked in a studio for a while, produced a few bands and thought it would be a nice way to earn a living. However, I realised that having to work on music I simply didn't like removed all the joy from it. Having bands in who I couldn't click with turned the thing I truly love into an excruciating chore, so I choose to do music for love and a "regular" job for money. My taste in music has always been a little too niche to make a living out of playing and fame is something I would run away from with surprising speed. Covers, weddings or sessions playing music I don't like are of no interest at all. Being an anonymous schleb who plays what he wants when he wants, and enjoys every second of it, sits just fine on my shoulders.

• Like 3

I did it for a year back in 1973 playing sax in a four piece covers band working out of London. We used an agency which got us good gigs supporting some major name bands (even 10cc!) and large venues. However, we were always only just about surviving financially, typically doing sequential gigs in say Bath, Birmingham, Manchester, Penzance, Deal, Lincoln and sleeping in the van. We were ultra-tight and good mates but in the end when I hadn’t got enough dosh to pay the rent on my bedsit I resigned; enough was enough after nearly killing us all by falling asleep while driving back from Cornwall at 3am and crashing the van (fortunately right outside the Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor and the only phone box for miles). 

No, we’d never been going to make it big or even small, but it was a time in my life that I don’t regret and do look back on with a wry smile, especially as I then spent 40 years on the corporate grindstone at Westland Helicopters!

• Like 2

I'd have liked to have done it in an originals band, but before I'd settled down, bought a house, got a cat and started my family. For everyone in my current band, it'd be very hard to cover equivalent wages with doing it full time. I'd need to win the lottery to make it work now.

It'd also need to be the right group of people. In the band where we did a couple of (self organised) tours, I couldn't have coped long term. On our short UK tour:

• We ended up getting a parking ticket on one of the vechicles because I didn't have enough cash, and no-one else thought it was urgent/would help me get the change together
  • The drummer put petrol in my diesel car
  • The drummer didn't bring his counterpart licence, so I had to drive the van all of the time
  • After drving from London (and getting a bit lost in London - hate driving there!) to Brighton following a gig, I couldn't convince one person to have a pint with me at the youth hostel we were staying at

Plus I don't think we were prolific enough to maintain a decent song output. The guitarist was a total perfectionist and nothing else would do, so it'd take MONTHS to finish a song.

I think maybe the one I'm in now would be better at those sorts of things. Not sure I'm tempted to find out right now, especially after writing that down!

• Like 3

I worked 'pro' from 1973 to 1977, which was very exciting to begin with, but chugging up and down the M1 and staying in cheap hotels soon became tedious. Ended up taking any gig on offer just to pay the rent.

However, I did meet and work with some great people and have many great anecdotes from this time.

It was a hard way to earn a living then, would guess it's pretty well impossible now.

• Like 1