Why become a member? ×

Three-song sequences

Rich

We all have favourite albums and favourites tracks from them. But what is your favourite sequence of 3 songs from an album? Not just your favourite 3 from an album, but 3 consecutive songs. 

Mine are Manhattan Project -> Marathon -> Territories, from Rush's 'Power Windows'. They're great songs anyway, but the three together are just a stunning combination. 

Over to you, BC Massive. 

• Like 6

Wow! Difficult and easy at the same time. There are so many great albums by so many people, in so many different genres that I'm sure the good people here could come up with loads of these. No doubt, whatever someone feels works really well, will have others disagreeing. Anyway, I'm jumping back to early 70s and three tracks from the Slade Alive album : 'Hear Me Calling', 'In like a Shot from my Gun' and 'Darling Be Home Soon'. Reason? Because it shows rockier numbers (not the usual pop singles) and a 'ballad'. Need to go and listen again. 😢

• Like 2

On 12/01/2024 at 11:45, tayste_2000 said:

Apologies- must have still been on my clipboard!

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The opening three tracks of Manic Frustration by Trouble, the way each runs into the next, just sublime

A truly Immense album - Listening to it right now \m/

Edited by dudewheresmybass
  • Like 1

From ELO's Out Of The Blue:

Big Wheels

Summer and Lightning

Mr Blue Sky

I like how it starts with one of the saddest songs Jeff Lynne ever wrote and gets increasingly upbeat to finish on a high.

• Like 4

Random albums from my collection : Slayer - Angel of death , piece by piece , necrophobic ( reign in blood) 

Hawkwind - Levitation , motorway city, psychosis ( levitation ) 

Masters of Reality - theme for the scientist of the invisible , Domino, the blue garden ( The blue garden ) 

Swamp Terrorists - Truth or dare , nightmare , so sweet it's painful  ( grim stroke disease ) 

Rush - Animate, stick it out , cut to the chase ( counterparts) 

Kraftwerk , Europe endless, Showroom dummies, Trans- Europe Express 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier

A Design For Life

Kevin Carter

From Everything Must Go by The Manic Street Preachers. To think this is how the album after losing Richey starts, is just incredible. The swagger and confidence (and melancholy). One of the very rare true 10/10 albums, imo.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, lozkerr said:

From ELO's Out Of The Blue:

Big Wheels

Summer and Lightning

Mr Blue Sky

I like how it starts with one of the saddest songs Jeff Lynne ever wrote and gets increasingly upbeat to finish on a high.

How can you leave it out "Standing In The Rain"? Those four songs (Side 3 if youre as old as I am) are the complete "Concerto For a Rainy Day" - they all go together (I know the OP said three, but c'mon! :D )

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Waiting in Vain, Turn Your Lights Down Low, Three Little Birds. The fact that they are preceded by Exodus and Jammin', and followed by One Love/People Get Ready puts this Bob Marley album right up there along with Marvin Gaye's What's Going On.

• Like 2

Great thread.

The trio that springs to mind is from the 'Yesshows' live album. Technically the three tracks are Parallels into Time and Word into Going for the One. But Yes frequently came on stage to the final part of Stravinski's 'Firebird Suite' and I love the way on the album, the band start to play over the final few bars of Firebird, and Rick Wakeman takes the key change from the last chord up to the start of Parallels. As a kid, this album influenced me in so many ways and it's still one of my all time favourites. So my three are:

Opening (Firebird Suite)

Parallels

Time and a Word.

• Like 1

I could take any 3 song run from Pixies' Doolittle as it's the greatest rock album ever...IMO ....including Monkey Gone to Heaven/Crackity Jones/Mr Grieves, the opening trio of Debaser/Tame/Wave of Mutilation and La La  love you/No. 13 baby/There goes my gun

Stranglers' Rattus Norvegicus runs it very close  with a cracking start...Sometimes/Toulouse/London Lady and a strong final flurry with Grip/Ugly/Down in the sewer

• Like 3

Good choice on the original post Rush! Love that album!

I'd pick what is a 'perfect' album for me, where I just love every song - Be-bop-deluxe Modern music. I could literally pick from anywhere, any three consecutive songs, however, I will make a choice:

The Bird Charmers Destiny - short and haunting

The Gold at the End of My Rainbow - Lovely melody to the chorus

Bring Back the Spark - uptempo song with a KILLER guitar solo! so melodic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rib13Bass said:

How can you leave it out "Standing In The Rain"? Those four songs (Side 3 if youre as old as I am) are the complete "Concerto For a Rainy Day" - they all go together (I know the OP said three, but c'mon! :D )

I know they are, but I've never really liked Standing In The Rain. Though if the OP had said four, I've have included it.

• Like 1

The first three tracks of The Joshua Tree: Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For and With Out Without You. 

Mind you, Bullet The Blue Sky and Running To Standstill make it a run of five for me and the whole of side one for me. 

• Like 5

Not many albums I listen to end to end, the one that used to be on full play on long journeys was Powerslave - Iron Maiden. The last 3 tracks.

Back in the Village

Powerslave

Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 

I've just seen they're the entire second side on the Vinyl. 

All the Pink Floyd albums run seamlessly from one track to the next. Great band for concept albums. Meddle - pick any 3 from side 1. 

• Like 2

Any three songs off Bat out of Hell (I know it's cheesy but I wouldn't mind 1% of the royalties off that one) and it's a very well put together album. Also, any three song sequence off Appetite for Destruction because it's the greatest rock album ever, IMO of course and not wanting to start a debate, but seriously that album just flows and Sweet Child O Mine (also known as the Devil's Ice Cream Van) is the worst song on it, and it's a great song.

• Like 1