Why become a member? ×

What’s your birth year bass?

Rayman

I played a 1965 fender jazz at one point that I really loved, and was tempted because it was my birth year, but problem was it was £3k which seemed a stupid amount of money for what it was and some added nostalgia, now they have got even more stupidly priced I know I will never have one, and there aren't many other basses of that period I like, and tbh, any 4 string is almost certainly going to end up unplayed, so it would be a waste.

There was a walnut Es355 guitar that was 1965, and £1500 that I almost got but I just didn't have the money at the time, regretted that one.

• Like 2

An early 1964 Precision for me, preferably a blue one.

3.thumb.jpg.def5ce9f4d3f52a29f8e9b746441e87c.jpg

I could never get away with spending that amount on a guitar so I made my own, as close to spec as I could get it. I've never played a real one so I couldn't say how close I got, but that's beside the point, I really enjoyed doing it and I love playing it.

IMG_4085.thumb.JPG.c17dff0175a79297d0caa34c514b8d70.JPG

Edited by rubis
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Rayman said:

The bass that you would love to own from the year of your birth….

No boring P or J for me (yawn!)

So i'm going to choose their Grandpappy - the Tutmarc ...which was still on the scene (just) when i was born

Tutmarc.jpeg.4c0a82aca5471254856dfe4405111c35.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

For 1957, that gives a Fender Precision, Gibson EB-1, Kay K162, Danelectro Longhorn, Rickenbacker 4000, and Hofner violin bass. Not sure what the least worst option is, there's certainly none that I'd love to own.

Me too.  Closest I had was '57 reissue JV Precision.  I'd pick a Danelectro or Gibson from that line up nowdays, if pushed.