Why become a member? ×

What’s your birth year bass?

Rayman

40 minutes ago, ahpook said:

To me, a bass from the year I started playing bass has much more relevance to me than one from when I was born.

My 1986 Fender Jazz commemorates that excellent decision quite nicely :)

That would have been a 1976 Hayman 40/40 for me, and I know when it was made because I made it. Sadly, I've sold it since then.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, neepheid said:

I've already played this game - I owned a '75 Gibson Ripper:

image.thumb.png.529061c1a57ffade5f3b3f1f6d00e611.png

If I was to do this again, I'd prefer a G-3 or take a punt on a Grabber, yet to have the pleasure of playing one.

I love how the Gibson Ripper and Grabber basses look.

Lou Barlow's (Dinosaur Jr) current main bass is a Grabber (which was also his first bass, that was used to record Dinosaur Jr.'s first album, before he sold it and got a Rickenbacker).

That said this got me thinking, it's rather strange to have neck dive and having the headstocks being prone to snap off as a signature design concept.

Of course it seems to have worked for them just fine, but I am pretty sure rather in spite of that, rather than because of it, and probably also the reason why Gibson basses never became quite as popular as Fender's.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I prefer more modern basses, but if I had to choose something from my mid-70s year of birth, it'd probably have to be a Wal (bit of a Mick Karn thing, I suppose). I'm too old to be able to nab a Steinberger L2 or a Kubicki Factor, sadly. Speaking of Steinberger, I just discovered Ned's half sister, Julia, is a renowned ecological scientist and that's really cool to me.

• Like 1

Hofner 500/1 Violin Bass 1962 - Mersey

image.thumb.png.b668d910b4062aa77dddfcaf9cbe7af3.png

Would do very nicely for me as it is a short scale :)

Tho the one pictured is for sale at £10,000 🤯 ... even the reissue comes in at about £2k ... but a girl can dream! 😊

S'manth x

• Like 3

I was born in 1986 and already have a couple of basses which are older than me.

I would say a Wal, but if I went the Wal route I would prefer a Mk 2 or 3 which only came out after I was born.

I own a late 70s Fender Precision and I looked for years to find a nice vintage Jazz bass to match. However I never found one I thought was worth the money and I ended up buying a Sadowsky which I preferred to any vintage jazz bass I had previously tried. 

Generally, I am more likely to buy a new YOTF bass, as in a 'Year of Turning Forty' bass as I could get something I really want like an ACG, Warwick or Spector Forte, or (sacrilege) a guitar!

• Like 1

I’ve always thought of a Year I Started Playing bass, as in if I could have afforded anything when I started in 1980 at the age of 15 what would I have bought.

Inevitably it would have been a Fender Precision but at 15 would I have gone white/rosewood or black/maple?