Why become a member? ×

Do You need to wear glasses when playing bass?

nilorius

I have to wear glasses to do pretty much anything. Spent a few years wearing contact lenses but in venues they would quickly dry up (especially before the smoking ban). I have varifocals now but there's a certain distance that isn't covered. It can be best described as the distance between me and the setlist. Regardless of where the setlist is! 😀

• Haha 2

Not for playing bass.

I wear glasses for reading and computer work, and while my long-distance vision would benefit from some correction it's not bad enough to require them. I had varifocals when I first got some "proper" glasses, but found that the middle portion for computer work (which was the most important for me)  was too small in size and focal length, so these were replaced after a couple of weeks with "occupational" lenses for close up reading and computer screens up to about 4' away.

I do have a pair of emergency glasses (always my last prescription) in my leads bag in case I need to do any close quick repair work at a rehearsal or gig, and use them for setting up the computer that plays our backing, but after that everything is automated and the display on my Helix Floor that also acts as a set list is clear enough for me to see without glasses.

In fact I find wearing glasses when I don't actually need them to read a book or computer screen very distracting and a little uncomfortable, so I have to take them off while I'm working on new material playing guitar or bass and only put them back on when I'm at the computer manipulating audio or MIDI or programming my effects.

I wear glasses for distance pretty much all the time, only take them off for reading or using my laptop/phone, etc. Without my glasses, everything further than three feet or so away becomes blurred.

I often take my glasses off when I gig so that I am less distracted by the activities of members of the audience. I am easily distracted by some of the saucier ones!

I rarely look at the neck when I'm playing, and, strangely, find my way around the fretboard more easily after my recent switch to 30" scale basses than I have ever done in the last 50 years of playing 34" scale basses.

I’ve worn specs since I was about 5 or 6, they are, for better or worse, part of who I am in terms of looks. The only time I don’t need them, in fact they get in the way, is when I’m doing really close work and then it’s a joy to dispense with them. I wear contact lenses for outdoor activities sometimes. In answer to the OP, yes I do. Do I need them to play? Not really, but if I need to read something or look beyond the stage whilst playing, they’re a necessity.

I started to use glasses about 4 years ago, for seeing 3m distace without little blur. I mainly use them at home to see pc, tv, phone better, but don't wear when going out, because don't feel comfortable. Sometimes use when going on with bass, if pc is used also, but not on rehearsals or gigs.

I wear varifocals most of the time and occasionally contacts.

Don’t enjoy wearing glasses to gig ( vanity and the fact it makes you look older ) 

Until they make better multi vision contacts that don’t dry up after 6 hrs I’m stuck with them !! 

• Like 1

I need reading glasses but don't wear them gigging as everything further away becomes blurred. A solution for reading setlists, rather than have one on the floor is to tape it to the back of the PA top speaker, which is usually just in front left of me. I also prefer this as I think it looks a bit crappy every time a band finishes a song they all look at the floor to see what's next. The audience don't always realise what the band are looking at the floor for and just think we're a bit miserable. 

I'm long sighted in one eye and short sighted in the other. When I was younger I used to gauge how drunk I was by how long it took to pull focus. 

Then they both changed and got worse in each direction, so if I don't wear specs, I'll get a headache that would decapitate a rhino after about 15 minutes as no matter where anything is, without specs it's always half blurred.