Why become a member? ×

Beer gut woe..

Dandelion

I have a problem with the beer gut. When I stand and play, the gut causes the bass to find a position where I can't see the fretboard. I could shorten the strap and play with the bass hanging under my chin but that is not the aesthetic that I am after. Apart from loosing weight, is there a solution to this? A fancy strap or something? 

Or a girdle... 

Make some kind of pad, maybe sponge would do ( just ask Waddo for piece of his brain  :) ) and tape it to the bottom half of your bass body rear.  This will kick the bottom

of the bass outwards.  How thick you make the sponge is down to how much you need the bass to tilt

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I have a problem with the beer gut. When I stand and play, the gut causes the bass to find a position where I can't see the fretboard. I could shorten the strap and play with the bass hanging under my chin but that is not the aesthetic that I am after. Apart from loosing weight, is there a solution to this? A fancy strap or something? 

Or a girdle... 

I had exactly the same problem about 30 years ago. It took me a while to admit to myself that my belly was the problem.  For a long time I blamed the strap I was using at the time. 

Eventually a combination of self-loathing and vanity enabled me to overcome my "stomach problem", but I'm still fighting to maintain my boyish figure every day. 

Would deliberately balancing the body of the bass on your  upper belly elevate it to about 45 degrees, making it easier to see the fretboard? Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

Whats the Bass?

Move, or add a strap button to the neck heel / back of pocket... SG style, it moves the bass round, and hang more central, but nut will be further away...

I want to turn up some neck plate screws that have a strap button on the end...

'Prolly best with a machine thread in to neck collet nut inserts...

Edited by PaulThePlug

9 hours ago, YouMa said:

Stop consuming so many carbohydrates and burn some calories.

Harsh, but this is the solution not only to this dilemma but other Bass related ones (sore back etc) and potentially more serious non Bass related ones further down the line too.

I'm sure Yoda or some other equally esteemed religions figure would have an inspiring saying about the difficult path leading to the best destination. 

• Like 1

Losing weight is very difficult, and keeping the weight off after you have lost it is even more difficult. And the older you are, the more difficult it becomes. You have to be really dedicated to the project or it just won't work.

It might help if we knew what kind of bass the O.P is using. If it's something unusually light and insubstantial then that might give an insight into the potential remedy.

Maybe a bass with a slightly curved body, like a Warwick or Spector, might help. Or a bass with a body substantial enough to flatten an unruly gut, like a Yamaha BB or Jaydee Supernatural. Or a Music Man Stingray.

There's plenty of  bass players who proudly sport a big belly and play a wide array of basses perfectly well. I'm sure this problem is solvable without resorting to diet and exercise.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

be like me, drink more beer, then you can use the bass like a lap steel guitar, easy

sorry, i could not resist, its like a form of tourette's, i just cant help myself.

🙂

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 3

Shame to see there are a few comments that immediately went down a route the OP was clearly trying to avoid. Given that, maybe it’s not surprising they’ve not been forthcoming with further info.

I’m sure the OP feels far more enlightened now some have suggested losing weight. Im sure that had never occurred to them before. 🙄

• Like 5

I agree with using the side fret markers more than the front ones. It's always worked for me and actually I don't ever recall using the front fret markers when playing (similarly they don't always appear on basses such as Sandbergs, Warwicks and Status). 

If that doesn't work, is it worth doing what BB King used to do and tuck the bass more under his arm than across his front? It seemed to work for him and he was a stout chap. 

Alternatively, it may be a case of shortening the strap, which I've seen a number of bass players who are built for comfort rather than speed do. 

• Like 2

What about some kind of "sideways" slinging posture so the bass is twisted round to the right hip, kind of.... might look quite cool too... 

Edit, I've just tried this and it works very well in my ( poss crazy) opinion 😁

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

What about some kind of "sideways" slinging posture so the bass is twisted round to the right hip, kind of.... might look quite cool too... 

Edit, I've just tried this and it works very well in my ( poss crazy) opinion 😁

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

AlbertCollins1990.jpg