Why become a member? ×

Your perfect album.?

bubinga5

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My only issue with Joshua Tree is its too perfect, too polished and it feels to me like they could have made it a bit worse to make it better

Considering what they did next - Achtung Baby, a +1 from me, I suspect the band felt the same way!

Others on my list:

• Japan - Tin Drum
  • James - Millionaires
  • Steven Wilson - hand. cannot. erase

but if there is one that pushes all my buttons, it can only be The Yes Album.

• Like 2

So many great albums in this thread already and some I nearly bought but didn't at the time (only so much cash you can spend on CDs, tapes and vinyl in the old days! 😆)

Here's some of my own personal fave all killer, no filler (to me anyway) albums 

Level 42 - Standing In The Light

Jellyfish - Bellybutton

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (Laughing Stock too!)

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues (I know, I know but I love it and it has their best tune on it)

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

NC & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads 

Jim White - Transnormal Skiperoo

Roy Harper - Stormcock

Roy Harper - HQ

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Beck - Odelay

Richmond Fontaine - 13 Cities (got me through a tough time)

Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All (Zappa's mid 70s output the best although The Best Band You Never Heard almost on this list)

Music is the best 😁

Mine would be something like:

A Love Supreme & Giant Steps (at least) by John Coltrane 

Mingus Ah Um -Charles Mingus 

Skyscraper - DLR (Vai/Sheehan supergroup)

Angel Dust - Faith No More

Début, Post and Vespertine - Björk

Rust In Peace - Megadäve

The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and Three Snakes And One Charm by the Black Crowes

10,000 Days - Tool

Blood Sugar Sex Magick and One Hot Minute - RHCP 

etc….

Also I’d have Gold by ABBA, but I guess we’re not allowed live albums?

• Like 1

Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions

Killing Joke - Hosanna's From the Basements of Hell

Mastodon - pretty much all of their albums

Voivod - Voivod / Katorz / Infini / The Outer Limits

Pretty sure there are many, many others.

22 hours ago, Stofferson said:

Unida- The Great Divide (never released which is a shame)

Clutch - pretty much every album, but Robot Hive, Exodus

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Ah, forgot my two fave Clutch albums. Earth Rocker and Psychic Warfare. Crackers all the way through

Also forgot to say

Music has the right to children and Tomorrow's harvest - Boards of Canada

Adventures beyond the Ultraworld, UF Orb, Abolition of the royal familia - The Orb

Music for the jilted generation - Prodigy

Tri repetae, LP5 and Amber - Autechre

Looping state of mind - The Field

Supermodified, Permutation and Out from out where -Amon Tobin

Lifeforms and the Archived series 1-6 though these aren't 'proper' albums  - Future Sound of London

Suzuki and No hassle -Tosca

Hydroponic garden, Interloper and World of sleepers - Carbon Based Lifeforms

Dream of 100 nations and Rejoice rejoice - Transglobal Underground

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

For me there is a very important distinction between albums that are great when listened to as a whole from start to finish, and albums where you can listen to each song individually and out of context and think every one of them is a brilliant song.

This has been very much brought home to me when I do my annual compilation of my favourite songs of the year. Many times there are albums that I have really enjoyed when listening to them as albums, but when I come to pick an individual song from any of them, there are none that stand out enough to warrant inclusion on my "best of" compilation. Often the songs that make it through are those from albums that that I rarely enjoy listening to from start to finish, but once removed from the surrounding filler are recognisable as great tracks.

Therefore, for me, the "perfect" album is one which is not only brilliant when listened to as an album, but also one where you can pick out any track at random and think it is great on it own. Very few albums meet this criteria.

• Like 3

On 02/09/2022 at 10:30, Stofferson said:

Clutch - pretty much every album, but Robot Hive, Exodus

Do you mean every album apart from RobotHive/Exodus, or every album and Robot Hive/Exodus is the best of them? I have a real soft spot for that album and this track especially.

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ah, forgot my two fave Clutch albums. Earth Rocker and Psychic Warfare. Crackers all the way through

I was going to post something about Clutch yesterday, but then got distracted and forgot.

As good an album as Earth Rocker is, I do wonder how many die hard Clutch fans would put it at the top? Even more so for Psychic Warfare, although ‘Our Lady of Electric Light’ is probably my favourite song across both albums. I do agree though, Earth Rocker is all killer, no filler.

My favourite Clutch album is Blast Tyrant, but I’m not sure it’s complete enough across the board to fit this thread.

Looking forward to the new album - not long to wait now 🤟

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For me there is a very important distinction between albums that are great when listened to as a whole from start to finish, and albums where you can listen to each song individually and out of context and think every one of them is a brilliant song.

This has been very much brought home to me when I do my annual compilation of my favourite songs of the year. Many times there are albums that I have really enjoyed when listening to them as albums, but when I come to pick an individual song from any of them, there are none that stand out enough to warrant inclusion on my "best of" compilation. Often the songs that make it through are those from albums that that I rarely enjoy listening to from start to finish, but once removed from the surrounding filler are recognisable as great tracks.

Therefore, for me, the "perfect" album is one which is not only brilliant when listened to as an album, but also one where you can pick out any track at random and think it is great on it own. Very few albums meet this criteria.

IMO, There's nearly always a track on album that I think "Could have done without that one", when I was thinking of an album where I really liked every track I was thinking there must be a Beatles album, being a big Beatles fan, you know what? there's always a track or two I could do without, even Revolver, don't really like Eleanor Rigby or Yellow Submarine, with Rubber Soul it's Michelle