Why become a member? ×

RIP Taylor Hawkins

ubit

3 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

There was a 6hr version available on YouTube last night that looked like it included the whole event feed including stage changeovers (I got about half-way through before having to turn in at about 2am!) which, when I tried to view this morning said was ‘private’?

Yep that was the official live stream from MTV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOnjLuBBkhU - for comparison purposes). I've had a look on Paramount+ on my Sky box, but nothing there yet.

9 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Yep that was the official live stream from MTV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOnjLuBBkhU - for comparison purposes). I've had a look on Paramount+ on my Sky box, but nothing there yet.

Ah, okay! Wished I’d managed to stay up and watch it now!

It’s only since his departure that I’ve come to realise/appreciate what a phenomenal player and musician he was. He also seemed to live and breathe music, across many genres.

What a bloody shame… 

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening. 

Some very poignant moment, especially Taylor Hawkins' 16 year old son playing drums on 'My Hero'. I can only imagine the mixed emotions going on in that young lads head leading up to the gig but he did his dad proud. 

• Like 3

I watched it on YouTube when it started at 4.30pm till 9pm, some fantastic performances, missed a few bits here and there when I had to do other stuff and didn't see the last bit of the show, I thought Justin Hawkins was great, Rush were incredible, Violet Grohl was a fantastic surprise, terrific tribute to a great man and drummer, RIP Taylor Hawkings.

John 😎 

7 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Never been a rush fan, but I’m going to have to give Them a decent go after that!

I’ve always known they were top musicians but didn’t expect them to be that good. Geddy’s tone was fantastic - he seems to hit the strings with some force

One finger attack with his ‘main noisy b*stard’ as he describes it. He broke the nail right off as a teen and it grew back extra thick and tough.

That bass is the one he played as a Yes stand in: was it the Rock & Roll HOF induction?

4 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Nate's tone when he was doing the second track with Brian and Lars was to die for. Not sure if it was a Metalica or AC/DC track but it was the second track they played. The verses were just bass, drums and vocals and it was phenomenal.

It was Let There Be Rock by AC/DC 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

The most outstanding moment for me was Wolfie Van Halen doing Hot For Teacher. You could smell the family genes coming out of him on the guitar, Josh on the drums was totally focussed and Dave did a great job on the bass. (I tolerated Justin Hawkins for the whole gig but he got away with it on that song)

And then of course the Foos set - Dave just about held it together at the start but i can't imagine that anyone didn't have a lump in their throat before they launched into the first song. It was the perfect set for me. They played all my favourites, no fillers, no overlong shouty stuff and finished it up perfectly with Taylor's son on the kit. 

Taylor would be smiling down on them...

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Was a little surprised that he finished the set by doing Everlong on his own. I know DG and Hawkins seemed to have the biggest bond of all the FF members, but I thought playing My Hero with Shane on drums would’ve been the perfect finish. 

Had a bit of a discussion about that on the way out of the Stadium. I think it worked the way he did it. If it it had finished on My Hero I think there might have been an expectation for encores, but ending with the solo version of Everlong, it was quite clear that the gig was done. 

38 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

The most outstanding moment for me was Wolfie Van Halen doing Hot For Teacher. You could smell the family genes coming out of him on the guitar, Josh on the drums was totally focussed and Dave did a great job on the bass. (I tolerated Justin Hawkins for the whole gig but he got away with it on that song)

Crikey, yeah, forgot about Wolfie Van Halen.

His playing was ridiculous!

A great Show. The Pretenders sounded great, McCartney looks and sounds incredible considering his age and The Foo's delivered an emotionally charged set. Great to see Lee and Lifeson on Stage together, though Hakim was not that convincing for their set IMO ( Not a criticism, as no one could replace Peart). Terrific to see Rock music be the order of the day. No decks, backing tracks, and best of all no Bono.

• Like 1

Stumbled on it by accident last night on YouTube and watched the lot. Great concert and such a shame it wasn’t on mainstream tv and seen by more. 

Very surprised when they announced Paul McCartney but sadly I have to say the song choices could have been better (others may have a different opinion) 

Brilliant to see Alex and Geddy back on stage together. Thought Alex had a couple of wobbles but Geddys voice and playing were top notch. 

Highly recommended viewing. 

• Like 1

I don't like FF one bit, but I do find Dave Grohl charismatic and while he has something, musically it's not for me.

That said, yesterday's tribute show was a wonderful thing...aside from the changeovers and some of the between-set tributes, it didn't drag and there was so much joy.  It was just a pity they didn't bring out Kiss Guy for Monkey Wrench and give Wolfgang another song.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Anyone know of the whole gig video has popped up anywhere yet?

From what I’d seen, it’s supposed to on Pluto TV as of today, but I can’t find it on there.

Someone mentioned it might be on Paramount+, which I don’t need or want, but I might get for a month if it’s on there.