Why become a member? ×

RIP Taylor Hawkins

ubit

1 minute ago, Mudpup said:

I wouldn't think they'll want a lookee likee in the band. It would kind of devalue it in my eyes. My money is on Josh. Or pack it in totally maybe 

At first glance he looks like Taylor, but then you realise he looks just like his dad when he was younger. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

Can any Geddy geeks tell me more about his Jazz?

All I know is that it's not new, he played it on the last tour, as pictured here. The logo on the pickguard is the astronomical symbol for the planet Mercury.

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just got home from the gig. That was a long day!

I got a phone call at 1440, whilst at home in West Wiltshire. 

"There's 2 tickets - VIP box, how soon can you get here? 

My brother in law (massive Foo Fighters fan) and I walked into the box at 1710.

An amazing experience. 

• Like 12

I only saw bits, caught the end of Them Crooked Vultures' set but saw an audience clip online today. I really hope this gives them the kick they need to make more music together, it's been so long that I worried about JPJ being up for it - but based on last night, he could be.

10 hours ago, bnt said:

All I know is that it's not new, he played it on the last tour, as pictured here. The logo on the pickguard is the astronomical symbol for the planet Mercury.

It is a 1962 Fender Jazz Bass Foam Green (Refin). It is featured in "Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass" that I can strongly recommend. Great book!

He writes about it: "It's one of the most thrilling basses I own. The more I use it, the more it's starting to edge out my Number One '72 Jazz. When we plugged it in during the rehearsals for R40, we were quite literally blown away by its tone and power - especially in the bottom end..."

GLB.thumb.jpg.98a87b7a40dfea2b37418161bb9622ba.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

It is a 1962 Fender Jazz Bass Foam Green (Refin). It is featured in "Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass" that I can strongly recommend. Great book!

He writes about it: "It's one of the most thrilling basses I own. The more I use it, the more it's starting to edge out my Number One '72 Jazz. When we plugged it in during the rehearsals for R40, we were quite literally blown away by its tone and power - especially in the bottom end..."

GLB.thumb.jpg.98a87b7a40dfea2b37418161bb9622ba.jpg

I've actually got the book (signed by Geddy!) but I'm too lazy and it's too heavy for me to get it off the shelf. Anyway the bass sounded great on the livestream btw

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

MTV 90s (Sky channel 352) has got an hour's edited highlights at 11pm tonight

There was a 6hr version available on YouTube last night that looked like it included the whole event feed including stage changeovers (I got about half-way through before having to turn in at about 2am!) which, when I tried to view this morning said was ‘private’?

Although not really a FF fan the overall event was something I was definitely interested in checking out, and from what I saw there was plenty to be blown away by - loved Shane Hawkins drumming and Violet Grohl doing the Jeff Buckley tracks and Valerie. And I also thought The Pretenders we’re just superb (and Supergrass, and Stewart Copeland!).

Looked like a fitting tribute to a wonderful person and musician…

Edited by Old Man Riva
Shane not Shawn…
  • Like 2