Why become a member? ×

RIP Taylor Hawkins

ubit

3 hours ago, Cato said:

They're an odd band for me in that as much as I've tried I've never really been able to get into their albums, but live I thought they were absolutely outstanding, up there with the best I've seen.

Taylor was a vital part of that huge live energy and he will be sorely missed.

Same for me, absolutely amazing live and Taylor was a powerhouse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cato said:

I've see Foo Fighters live twice, once supporting the Chilis and once headlining.

They're an odd band for me in that as much as I've tried I've never really been able to get into their albums, but live I thought they were absolutely outstanding, up there with the best I've seen.

Taylor was a vital part of that huge live energy and he will be sorely missed.

Agree. They have some terrific songs, but no terrific albums IMO. Amazing live act. I wonder will the Foo Fighters continue?. Taylor has left some very big boots to fill. RIP

1 hour ago, Jason Karloff said:

For me the best singer in that band

I was at that show. It was extremely obvious that Taylor and Dave were incredibly excited to be playing with their heroes. Jimmy and JPJ seemed to enjoy it almost as much as well.

• Like 3

I wonder whether Foo Fighters will one day be thought of as one of the all time greats with Zeppelin, Sabbath, Queen etc. 

Foo Fighters have a lot of filler material but then so did all the other greats. They're certainly the biggest rock band of their generation. I think they might have lasted longer than some of them, certainly longer than Zeppelin or Queen (with Freddie)

20 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I was at that show. It was extremely obvious that Taylor and Dave were incredibly excited to be playing with their heroes. Jimmy and JPJ seemed to enjoy it almost as much as well.

I can imagine. You would have to have a soul made of Custard not to feel something playing with Page and Jones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I wonder whether Foo Fighters will one day be thought of as one of the all time greats with Zeppelin, Sabbath, Queen etc. 

Foo Fighters have a lot of filler material but then so did all the other greats. They're certainly the biggest rock band of their generation. I think they might have lasted longer than some of them, certainly longer than Zeppelin or Queen (with Freddie)

I have 4 FF albums which are mostly killer no filler esp the rock CD off In Your Honour, which is great start to end. However, think the Nirvana connection will always overshadow them. Mind you I far prefer them to the three English bands named.

• Like 1

For me it’s not the songs it’s the production, I find their recorded material to be a bit “sterile” sounding compared to their live versions. Live I think they’re great, more than happy to watch a live gig on TV.

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd guess not........... I would say those other groups (and Nirvana too) are seen as ground-breaking in some way, where as Foo-Fighters are more 'very good/popular at what they do"

On the topic of Foos material being somewhat inconsistent…

I’ve just spent 20 Minutes reading an article on Consequence Of Sound where they rank all 148 (up to 2021) officially released FF tracks.

I realised that I haven’t listened to them since that “in your honour” double album.

Might give this a go.

Here’s the playlist 

• Like 1

I have a dvd recorded when they played T in the park in 2011 if I remember right. Great gig especially when Dave threw his black explorer and then tried to play it again and it was well gubbed. What a body of work, so many fantastic tunes, I only hope that after this tragic event they can return in some form.