Why become a member? ×

RIP Taylor Hawkins

ubit

I'm rubbish at knowing band member's names' unless they're a really famous frontperson. But Taylor was one name I did know, and The Foos are one of my all-time favourites. I still have never seen them live, but we managed to get tickets for their UK tour in July. I'm really hoping they don't cancel it, but at the same time I'd be really sad to see them "incomplete".

I’m hoping they still carry on it would be a shame because they’re such a great band live. Taylor Hawkins boots will certainly be hard to fill. But I’m sure there’s someone out there capable of doing the job. The who replaced Keith moon I know that it’s never the same when you loose an original band member like that.

Taylor and Dave were so close it seems likely that at the very least Dave will want to take a break before going out on tour without one of his best friends.

The Foos have US tour dates scheduled in May so I imagine there'll some sort of announcement one way or the other in the nearish future.

Edited by Cato

Just too sad. Such a shock to read about it on Saturday. If it is drug related then it’s a massive, tragic waste.

I hope they do carry on. It would be another waste if Dave just said no more, although those sneakers of Taylor’s will be extremely difficult to fill. The only drummer I can think of that could come close would be Stephen Perkins.

Just watched him perform his last ever moment in the spotlight with Somebody to Love a couple of nights before he passed. Can’t quite believe it even more with each passing moment. He seemed vibrant, happy, relaxed and having the time of his life. Make each day the best you can!! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

I’m hoping they still carry on it would be a shame because they’re such a great band live. Taylor Hawkins boots will certainly be hard to fill. But I’m sure there’s someone out there capable of doing the job. The who replaced Keith moon I know that it’s never the same when you loose an original band member like that.

I wonder if they’ll do these gigs with a replacement (maybe with someone they know like Rufus Taylor) and then call it quits. I can’t imagine the foos without him. 

Just now, Thunderpaws said:

I wonder if they’ll do these gigs with a replacement (maybe with someone they know like Rufus Taylor) and then call it quits. I can’t imagine the foos without him. 

I just can’t see it. I think Dave will be absolutely broken

10 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

I'm not a Led Zep fan but I know enough that the band refused to go on without John Bonham. Similarly I've a feeling the FF's will call it a day. TH was more than just the main drummer. He was a charismatic performer and TBH i don't know of anyone who could step into his shoes, the drummer role maybe but not the man himself.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

BBC Radio 6music repeated a show with Steve Lamacq and Taylor Hawkins yesterday evening. They talked about his career and influences and played some of his favourite music. 

It should be available on iplayer, well worth a listen. 

Think that was filmed as well and is on iplayer to watch. Really good show, his enthusiasm and love for rock and roll, plus his friendly and bright nature, made it a really interesting watch. 
As a band I always found the Foos a bit hit and miss but there’s no denying Taylor was a force of nature and for whatever reason his death has hit harder than most.

22 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Only person who could sit in that seat is Dave Grohl

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've seen him sing and drum live. Best for him to stick to just one or the other. It wouldn't be Foo Fighters without Dave up front on guitar and vocals. 

6 minutes ago, Grassie said:

I feel that they won’t replace Taylor. They can record with Dave playing drums, but in order to tour they’ll need someone.

I reckon you`re all spot on there, DG needs to be up front live but studio-wise he`s probably the best placed to do it.

Personally I reckon they will return but it will definitely be a while. I just think they are so massively popular that they have to continue. How many bands have endured the loss of a major member but have risen from the fire and returned to gigging? 

There's been a few posts here and there about whether they'll fold or continue and speculation as who would take over on drums if they chose the latter.

I can't even begin to imagine how they would fill the void Taylor Hawkins has left but I do strongly believe that if they choose to continue, Dave Grohl is so adored by their fans that if he gives the new guy his seal of approval this would lead to an almost unanimous acceptance by fans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

Personally I reckon they will return but it will definitely be a while. I just think they are so massively popular that they have to continue. How many bands have endured the loss of a major member but have risen from the fire and returned to gigging? 

Queen.  The Who.  Led Zeppelin.  Umm.