Why become a member? ×

Thinking of selling up........

bassintheface

Hey guys,

so, it's been a crazy couple of years as we all know and some of us have fared better than others.....

the world has changed and priorities have and continue to do so.....

I'm a bandless bassist, but not really wanting to join a band right now due to other commitments.

I sold my gigging Aguilar rig just before covid as it was wasted not being used and bought a decent combo for not much money which is perfect for any gigs which may come in.

I'm now considering properly 'thinning the herd' of basses - I only have 4 mind.

They're sat in my office in cases and haven't seen the light of day in months. I have minimal motivation to play them (mainly as I'm just really busy - started my own company last year amongst other things, so that needs my time).

I'm mainly just doing the odd bit of depping now then then, but not playing regularly at all and can't see that changing anytime soon.....

I'm thinking of moving at least a couple of basses on (for space and to get a bit of cash in as they're now not earning me money gigging), but unsure if it's the right thing to do......

I have a 2002 Musicman Stingray 3 band  - had it off my folks for my 21st so that's a keeper....

2014 Limelight 'Pino Palledino' style Precision - great bass, but would likely let go as it doesn't really hold any sentimental value and I can always get Mark to make another if I ever wanted one.

then comes the conundrum - which one of these would I possibly look to sell with the Limelight?!

2002 MIJ 62 RI Black Jazz bass, now with US pickups etc - my absolute  favourite bass to  play (and look at) - I don't think I'd ever find another as good and with such a perfect neck....

not a massive amount of money in it either.......it's a beaut.

OR

1973 Fender Jazz - 'burst, RW board, block and bound. In amazing condition for it's age and I'd never find one is this condition - worth quite a bit I imagine - would I regret selling it?!!

Then also, I have kids - what if they want to take up bass as they get older, so do I just sit on it for a bit?!!

Agghhh! What to do!!!!

• Sad 1

Some suggested questions for you to answer for yourself:

The Stingray has how much sentimental value?

If you get a gig which bass would you take - one of the Jazzes?

would you miss having the Precision?

Do you need the money, if so how much? Put the basses in value order.

Dont worry about the kids they probably won’t want anything which old dad had.

Maybe reduce the number 1 at a time and see how much you miss any one of them.

Tough decisions, good luck with making a choice.

• Like 2

Keep the 'Ray & the MIJ Jazz, and sell the Limelight & the '73.

If your kids do grow up sufficiently wrong to want to be bass players, the last thing you'd want to do is let them loose on an original, good-condition 1973 Fender that is worth a stack of cash. Sell that to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and look after it, & if they do go mad, buy your kids a £100 Harley Benton that will play & sound about 97% as good as the Fender.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

If your kids do grow up sufficiently wrong to want to be bass players, the last thing you'd want to do is let them loose on an original, good-condition 1973 Fender that is worth a stack of cash. Sell that to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and look after it, & if they do go mad, buy your kids a £100 Harley Benton that will play & sound about 97% as good as the Fender.

Absolutely this. Great minds and all that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Yes. Definitely this.

• Like 2

The '73 Jazz is worth next to nothing, I mean, it's almost 50 years old. Everything wears out after that much time has elapsed.

As I'm such a generous guy, I'll give you £50 for it, probably only get some of that back for scrap...

Edited by jimmyb625
  • Haha 2

Reading this part I`d say this is the one to keep:

2002 MIJ 62 RI Black Jazz bass, now with US pickups etc - my absolute  favourite bass to  play (and look at) - I don't think I'd ever find another as good and with such a perfect neck....

not a massive amount of money in it either.......it's a beaut.

Sometimes it`s not the one that costs the most which actually has the most value, value being its meaning to the owner in this case. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

The '73 Jazz is worth next to nothing, I mean, it's almost 50 years old. Everything wears out after that much time has elapsed.

As I'm such a generous guy, I'll give you £50 for it, probably only get some of that back for scrap...

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

Edited by bassintheface
  • Like 6

I was in a similar position 2 or 3 years ago, and sold everything.

I learnt a couple of things....

1: I bitterly regret letting my Stingray go. The others... Roadworn Jazz, US Precision and the rig not so much.

2: Long term, it didn't help selling any of them. Financially it was a help at first, but in the end made no difference. As a couple of grand doesn't last long.

If you really have to bring some money in, sell the Pino and see how you go after that. Selling the 62RI could be a big regret, as replacing a bass you love so much could be tough. I've made the mistake of selling "my favourite bass" a couple of times and I miss them a lot, and like I say, long term it didn't help at all financially.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bassintheface said:

Then also, I have kids

You'll probably regret selling those.  Although they'll cost you a hell of a lot more to keep.

Don't sell the 62 RI, not if its your favourite bass. 

The 73 may go up in value over time, but no more than inflation I wouldn't think, so itd be worth about as much to you now relative to income/outgoings as it would be in 10 years time etc, something people often overlook.   If you need the money and the space now, nows the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I read your post and two basses stood out: 21st birthday gift and nicest to look at with the best neck. Of the others to acknowledge one is easily replaced and the other is probably worth a shed load of cash. With regards leaving something for your kids they probably want something that was special to you, rather than something you kept in case it had decent sell on value.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

If you don’t need the money and have somewhere to store them in their cases, just keep them until your ready, you don’t want to regret selling something, especially the 73 🙂

That must have taken all the willpower you could muster. I know you’re looking for one of these, and ^that one is an absolute belter. 

I can’t help with your dilemma over which one, except the MM, that’s sentimental, and you would probably regret selling it.

I’ve sold two guitars recently which I thought might cause me emotional pain, but I’ve been a brave boy and it’s been ok, sniff.

Rob

• Like 1

If the cash value is better used elsewhere, sell all but the MM. Unless it’s required for your job, no one needs more than one bass and the MM can cover the majority of styles. 

Having said that, I had a US stingray for a birthday gift and found it so underwhelming that sentimental value wasn’t enough reason to keep it.

• Like 1