Jump to content
TJ1

What is the highest BPM you can achieve?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Drax said:

If you had to pick one of your basses, which could you throw the furthest? 

I think I'd use my Streamer .. 

The one with the best aerodynamic properties, if it has canards to generate additional lift that would be an advantage.

unicorn1.thumb.jpg.32908ba36034c6a1d275a2dfa8eada93.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TJ1 said:

Absolutely. I'll even give an arrangement - G-D-G-C-EG-A.

Is that an E over G?

An interesting note that I actually quite often play accidentally. 😗

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still love me a bit of shred, but can't shred as fast as I could even a few years ago. I would sometimes use a legato technique, which strangely enough is not a technique I can do when I shred on guitar.

Sometimes I used a double-fingering technique - up and down stokes with the same finger - but I can't do double-thumbing yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I Googled Run to the Hills tempo which is 173

I googled ace of spades, it said 140, but I think it's twice as fast as that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is that an E over G?

An interesting note that I actually quite often play accidentally. 😗

Sorry I meant E-G but i guess you try E/G if you think it sounds better.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

As a young Metaller I spent a lot of time getting three plucking fingers going as standard for the high tempos the music I loved required. Something like this is reasonably comfortable for me with three and I reckon it'd be a shortcut to RSI if you played this kind of speed consistently with two fingers.

 

The original by Joe Jackson with the overlooked and underestimated Graham Maby on bass is better sounding and played at a higher BPM. That said, I really like Anthrax cover too. But it's about time to give back the credit of this excellent tune to Joe Jackson.

Excerpt of Wikipedia concerning this title and pure Joe Jackson :

In the June 1991 issue of Q magazine, Jackson remarked : "I think it sounds kind of clumsy compared to the way we did it on the Live album. I mean, our version is really smoking. Theirs is actually slower than ours, and kind of lumpen. The way I feel about it is, Thanks for the royalties, guys." In another interview, he explained, "I could never quite understand why they were called a “speed metal” band because we played the song about twice as fast as they did."

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I googled ace of spades, it said 140, but I think it's twice as fast as that

Sometimes the guitar / bass riffs don't match the drums which can have higher BPM and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Sometimes the guitar / bass riffs don't match the drums which can have higher BPM and vice versa.

yes, I think he's singing it at 140, not sure its possible to sing at 280 ,  the bass is 280 though, being a pick player I can just about manage it on a good night

edit, not saying a finger player couldn't do it btw

Edited by PaulWarning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was gonna answer 1,200 but then the rules kept changing. Now it suddenly must be on strings!
OK then: 30.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yes, I think he's singing it at 140, not sure its possible to sing at 280 ,  the bass is 280 though, being a pick player I can just about manage it on a good night

The bass isn't played at twice the bpm, it's just subdividing in to semiquavers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The original by Joe Jackson with the overlooked and underestimated Graham Maby on bass is better sounding and played at a higher BPM. That said, I really like Anthrax cover too. But it's about time to give back the credit of this excellent tune to Joe Jackson.

Excerpt of Wikipedia concerning this title and pure Joe Jackson :

In the June 1991 issue of Q magazine, Jackson remarked : "I think it sounds kind of clumsy compared to the way we did it on the Live album. I mean, our version is really smoking. Theirs is actually slower than ours, and kind of lumpen. The way I feel about it is, Thanks for the royalties, guys." In another interview, he explained, "I could never quite understand why they were called a “speed metal” band because we played the song about twice as fast as they did."

 

The original is excellent, of course, but faster it is not

Capeture.thumb.JPG.604d3db4330dd07c850b8de776b5341d.JPG

kCapeture.thumb.JPG.3d30730571ed463c7e281c61d23bd95f.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

Best not mention hemi-demi-semiquavers then! 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Same as me..but not all in one go 

Oh no I need a sit down between.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

4

 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Same as me..but not all in one go 

 

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh no I need a sit down between.

Well I can play all the right notes, but not necessarily...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How fast ? About the same BPM as the drummer.

It's smiles all round, in my experience.

Edited by ahpook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mötley Crüe - Live Wire (220 bpm)

  

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I googled ace of spades, it said 140, but I think it's twice as fast as that

AoS isn't really that fast IMHO, but I've become quite accustomed to playing it. It's my 'summon the salesman' riff if I'm serious about buying something.

Killed by Death is slightly slower, but a fair bit more difficult to play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

Haha. Yeah they are strange if you've not grown up with them. Like the US 'cups' in recipes..  

Never known why there are two systems.. Brief explanation here https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/blog/whats-a-quaver-note-names/ 

Still don't understand the logic outside 4/4 though.. 

 

 

Edited by Drax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

Comes from the italian, but we know you like your imperial measurements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

If you think that sounds stupid, how about hemidemisemiquaver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Sorry you Brits but semiquaver is the stupidest name. Sounds like bowing up for The William Tell Overture.

This is why American English was designed to be greatly simplified for you over the pond ;)

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So  does anyone want to enter the tournament?

Note progression: G-D-G-C-E-G-A. Two finger up plucking only. £20note and Ernie Ball candy posted to the person with the fastest consistent BPM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...