Why become a member? ×

P bass string gauge

DNC29

12 minutes ago, DNC29 said:

Sorry it’s probably been asked before. What string gauge are you guys playing on your P Bass? And why?

I think you'll end with suggestions for just about every string available as different people like different things. 

For instance @Reggaebass's suggestion above suits him but I wouldn't like that feel at all. I prefer a high tension string and would need to physically and mentally hold back the whole time I was playing if I played his bass. He would probably similarly dislike one of my basses with a high tension, heavy string gauge. 

We each get used to what we like through trial and error. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2

Flats every time for me, call me crazy but - like big gauges on a big old 1 3/4" neck, medium gauge on the 42/43mm, 'modern necks' and guess what - - -

From GHS Precision 55 - 110 to TI Jazz JF344, 43 - 100.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

45-105 usually Warwick reds. I’d like to try flats at some point

Also using the reds as they are good value and I like the feel of them and sound I did stop using them a few years back as there was a problem with dead E strings but that's all sorted now 

I have flats on a couple of basses but find I like the sound of rounds a little bit more 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Labella 42-100 low tension flats, nice sound and nice feel ☝️

Me too, love these strings on my P.

I've tried loads of different brands and gauge of flat wound string, including some other La Bella offerings, but these have been my favourite for that old school sound.  My second favourite were Ernie Ball Group III's in 45-100.  

For my more modern sounding PJ it was Ernie Ball Cobalt flats 45-100, however I've switched back to rounds and La Bella RX in the same gauge.

I've tried 105's a few times and I didn't get on with them, just too stiff under the fingers for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Also using the reds as they are good value and I like the feel of them and sound I did stop using them a few years back as there was a problem with dead E strings but that's all sorted now 

I have flats on a couple of basses but find I like the sound of rounds a little bit more 

They’re like mex fenders - good enough for the money that spending double on other strings seems a bit self-indulgent 

• Like 1

Rotosound Nickel Swing Bass 45 - 105 (on the one bass strung with rounds) and Jazz Bass 45 - 105 on all the others.

I am an endorsee of Rotosound (to be open) but always liked their feel and tone anyway. Definitely prefer the tone of the nickel rounds.

• Like 1

It's trial and error. I went through a phase of putting the heaviest flatwounds I could find on mine but my current Precision has Roundwounds 45-100. I have a 51 tele bass that I will probably stick flats on but I guess it comes down to whatever you are hoping to achieve from that bass. It's amazing how string choice can change the dynamics of the same instrument.

I also like rotosound Rb45 strings but they have really shot up in price was paying about a tenner a set maybe 18 months ago and they are about 16 quid a set now 

Would like to say if the op has any questions about strings is probably best to talk to dadarrio as there customer service is awesome 

D'addario EXL160BT 120-50. Tuned to D standard/drop C on my old late seventies Precision. It seems fairly heavy duty but honestly the tension of the higher strings is 50 and 67 so really not that far off a standard 105-45 set. As far back as 2003 I was using the Steve Harris flats 110-55 on the same bass in standard tuning, so I have generally always had heavier strings on the Precision. It has always been my 'go to' bass for heavier rock stuff.

I can always go back to lighter strings if I need to use it for standard tuning for specific project. If so I will probably go for a set of flats, maybe 45, 65, 85, 110. 

11 hours ago, Col the Plunker said:

D'ddario chrome flats. 45-100s.

Silky smooth and a nice thump! 

I've used this guage in the same bass the last 3 years, I like them a lot. Recently, I guess out of lockdown boredom, I decided to try Thomastik Infeld jazz flats. I really like the sound they produce however due to them being a bit thinner I can't help but think they sit a bit low in the nut. They do sound bloomin good though so it's probably just me worrying about nothing. 🙄

• Like 1

D'Addario EPS165 XL ProSteels Regular Light Top/Medium Bottom (.045-.105)

Why? I really don’t know. Been using them for years and never felt the need to change. I suspect that the subtlety of any change of strings would be lost amongst the unsubtlety of my playing! 

Rotosound/Rotobass 95 or 100 usually although last night I used a set of 105 at rehearsal that I bought by accident and they sounded huge.

I used to really like LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel but they don't seem to do them now so I switched back to Rotosound, plus it's a British company.

I think Warwick Red Label (95 or 100) are excellent value though and I've usually got a pack or two spare.

I use Newtone 50-110 nickel roundwound strings on all my short scale bases. They suit the scale length and provide a tension that allows precise control of the note played with fingers (soft to hard depending upon the song being played).

So, a change of strings - weight and type - can completely change the feel and sound of a bass -we know this.

What may not be appreciated is how some strings can be so much louder than others.

I've just taken an old set of 45-105 Olympus flats off my PJ as they were getting increasingly 'grabby'  I've put on Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky cobalt flats, same weights.  Without changing any settings on my headphone amp they're about 20% - 30% quieter than the old Olympus - the greatest volume change I can ever remember experiencing with a change of strings. I won't comment on their sound as all new strings sound wonderful, but the volume thing is a bit weird.

There's always something new to learn about strings!  But it is an expensive journey.  😕

• Like 3

50-110 flats rotosound flats Steve Harris, for obvious reason

45-100 flats fender- for a generic p bass sound

50-105 ernie ball rounds- for rock, metal, punk and slap if I have to

Edited by SH73