Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions - Like the original or not

Nicko

I’m of the opinion, if you are a covers band, you play songs exact or very near to the original.

If you are covering a really well known song that has a specific riff or solo i.e. Black Dog, Walk This Way etc, it needs to be bang on IMO.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steantval said:

I’m of the opinion, if you are a covers band, you play songs exact or very near to the original.

If you are covering a really well known song that has a specific riff or solo i.e. Black Dog, Walk This Way etc, it needs to be bang on IMO.

I'm of the opinion that, as a band, one plays exactly how one wants to. Nothing is sacred. Playing like the original is fine, too, if that's what the band want to do.

• Like 7

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:35, Nicko said:

A band I really don't like doing a song by a band that I dont like.  Utter purgatory.

ps Nice aviodance of the profanity filter there. 

yes, purgatory, you will be going there :)

but seriously, you don't have to like what I like, honestly

I doubt Sir Paul gives a rat's what you or I think either :)

Have you posted a clip? otherwise you're just posting solely to diss someone's opinion,

Edited by bazzbass

On 23/08/2018 at 20:40, mic mac moe said:

I like a reworking of a cover. There's a lovely version of "everybody wants to rule the world" on a TV advert currently. Love it 

Oh I hate that with such a passion - all those vapid breathy girl singers that do slow boring versions of songs that end up on adverts for banking.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh I hate that with such a passion - all those vapid breathy girl singers that do slow boring versions of songs that end up on adverts for banking.

Fair shout, the breathy bird singers. And the banking ads, should try and be more Schofield. As for the reworking of a great song, I like it. The lighter tempo, the darker minor inflection and the stripped back orchestration are refreshing. As someone who remembers proper punk, bands like reel big fish etc, however just make me wince. It's like manufactured x factor versions of a classic style. Still, takes all sorts, innit

5 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

As someone who remembers proper punk, bands like reel big fish etc, however just make me wince. It's like manufactured x factor versions of a classic style. Still, takes all sorts, innit

I am not sure I am following you on how punk and that real big fish track are related (and yes I do remember proper punk), but I am not familiar with X-Factor, so maybe it is something I don't get!

After Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen covered the Meters song Mo Hipper, Art Neville said he wished their song, the original, had sounded more like Cleary's version.

PS

Just looking through the songs and it was Just Kissed My Baby, not Mo Hippa, duh!!

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1