Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions - Like the original or not

Nicko

On 29/08/2018 at 13:46, Paul S said:

Here is one of my faves.  Used to play it like this in a band as our last number - always seemed to come as a surprise when ti all kicked in :)

Yeah, I have always liked their version. I suppose it's a testament to a great tune when it gets plenty of covers.

Dionne Warwick recorded a version I like as well. Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway also recorded their take on it, with a very different arrangement and approach.

On 29/08/2018 at 13:26, PaulWarning said:

One thing I never get is  tribute bands that try and sell their recordings of the band they are a tribute of, why would you do that and why would anybody buy it?

Last year we supported Talon, the Eagles tribute. They have some strange fans, bedecked in Talon t-shirts and adoring the phonies as if they were actually the Eagles. Bizarre folk

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If you're going to play a cover, do it properly. . .

Featuring Trevor Barry on bass.

Featuring Steve Pearce on bass.

He is one hell of a class act. I had the privilege of working with him back in about 88/89 when I was at a small independent record company. Unfortunately we had neither the budget, nor the know how to match his talent. Lovely guy too.

Here's another that been covered by a list of bands, originally recorded by someone most people have never heard of Billy Joe Royal but soon after covered by Deep Purple then, some while later, Kula Shaker.  I like the power of this version by Gotthard - I believe this was flagged up on here a few years ago in a similar thread, which is when I first heard it.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:29, ern500evo said:

I’m a big fan of The Temptations, but have to say The Faces cover of I know I’m losing you is fantastic. Rod Stewart at his finest. 

Always enjoyed a lot of Rod's / Faces covers. Here's one that may divide opinion - I love the Isley Brothers's original, but thought this was a good version too. Not sure who played what on this track, but the album it's taken from ( Atlantic Crossing ) featured Duck Dunn, Lee Sklar and David Hood on bass duties, as well as Steve Cropper, Booker T and possibly the last session by the MG's Al Jackson on drums.