Why become a member? ×

Cover Versions - Like the original or not

Nicko

11 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

David Bowie's cover version of China Girl was cool.

As for previous comments regarding those insipid, breathy vocal, cover versions of classic tracks used on TV adverts - they drive me crazy!

The "Ain't Nobody" one is especially irritating!!

I know Iggy Pop did it first, but pretty sure DB wrote it

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

We tend to do ska versions of several things, even though we are not really a ska band, so we do 

Which is prefer to the original, and this which is so much better (as I really don't like the original)

Been avoiding Brown Eyed Girl like the plague for years, so my heart sank when current band recently wNted to to do the Reel Big Fish version - but have to say - it's a crowd-pleaser.....

3 hours ago, steantval said:

Imagine by Roxy Music, far better than original John Lennon version.

Jealous Guy? o.O

Edited by Shaggy

51 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I know Iggy Pop did it first, but pretty sure DB wrote it

Been avoiding Brown Eyed Girl like the plague for years, so my heart sank when current band recently wNted to to do the Reel Big Fish version - but have to say - it's a crowd-pleaser.....

Jealous Guy? o.O

Well spotted.

On 23/08/2018 at 17:07, Cicero said:

Dub Side of The Moon by the Easy Star All-Stars is excellent: 

Robert Glasper's cover/medley of Everything in its Right Place / Maiden Voyage is pure class:

Can't hear Dark Side without Dub Side playing in my head!

• Like 1

Loads of great covers out there, agreed there is no point doing one unless what you have is something new to hear, i use to do a great cover of a cover of i want it that way by shoshana bean. the two backing guys are bang on.

also remember doing a good version of ABBA's summer night city by nils landgren, worth checking out for the cd version from funky abba.

a million versions of Crossroads but i think Ry cooders is the one to beat.

On 24/08/2018 at 16:11, razze06 said:

I really enjoy trying to rearrange a song in a different genre, and trying to convince my band to play it. Sometimes it works, and it ends up in our live set. 

Yes! We're working on Tortora & Tyzack's Easy Money, a fine contemporary blues song. The original references the 30s depression, in the lyrics and the sound, but we've somehow translated it into dub and it works really well. (I've also gigged a solo bass / vocal cover and dedicated it to Grenfell Tower.) 

There are also some great reggae & dub covers of Take 5, although they're in 4/4 - recognisably covers even though they miss the whole point of the original, and good music in their own right. 

Imho there's a difference between covering a well known original and one that's less known. We look for less known early blues songs - preferably by strong confident women - and keep the lyrics, melody, and often the bassline, but that's just our starting point for developing our own arrangement. I hope nobody is going to complain that we don't sound like Irma Thomas...

You can have my husband

(Apologies for poor sound quality, this was just a memo-to-the-band practice recording.)

Warning this link will download the file, I was hope it would just play. So don't click it if you don't want your own copy or if you don't trust me! 

YCHMH_2018-08-08.mp3

Edited by josie
Warning on mp3 link

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

IMO (I expect to get shot down for this though) better than the original.

Mmm, don't get it myself. Sounds like it's trying to be too like the original, but with some well dodgy chords thrown in for some reason. 

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:25, bazzbass said:

yes, purgatory, you will be going there :)

but seriously, you don't have to like what I like, honestly

I doubt Sir Paul gives a rat's what you or I think either :)

Have you posted a clip? otherwise you're just posting solely to diss someone's opinion,

Not dissing your opinion at all. It takes all sorts.  All opinions are valid, even if they are wrong.9_9

I haven't posted a link, but I did start the thread.

• Like 1

At one point in time I was in a technically great band, all of them being teachers at the college of music - in both jazz and classical. We decided that we would not do any cover if we didn't make it better than the original. The original already existing, the audience didn't need a rehash of the same, but a new, fresh approach.

For those interested, here's our setlist:

• Haha 1

the band I'm in does Punk (I may have mentioned that before :lol:), so if it's a punk song we're doing we try and get close to the original, but if it's not we try to put our own slant on it, even if it's just playing it faster😊

One thing I never get is  tribute bands that try and sell their recordings of the band they are a tribute of, why would you do that and why would anybody buy it?