Why become a member? ×

A case for every bass?

TheGreek

I've always had a case for each of my basses but recently questioned this. I generally keep more than one bass out on stands/multi stand so have empty cases which live at the bottom of my bed which Shalla will inevitably kick over in the middle of the night giving me a fright.

My question - does every bass need it's own case or can they share?

I've started getting rid of unnecessary cases. My basses hang on the wall or on stands when not in use, and I rarely take more than 2 out at a time for gigs ... so I've managed to clear out a lot of space under the beds! ... all I need to do now is find something to fill up all that space with ... hmmmm ...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1504302675' post='3364069']
I've always had a case for each of my basses but recently questioned this. I generally keep more than one bass out on stands/multi stand so have empty cases which live at the bottom of my bed which Shalla will inevitably kick over in the middle of the night giving me a fright.

My question - does every bass need it's own case or can they share?
[/quote]

I have 2 MIJ Fender P Basses that share a case. It's not ideal wish I had two.

Blue

I have effectively one case for all my basses. They're mostly very Fender-shaped so one size fits all. Most gigs I do, there's backline provided, so I often travel to gigs on public transport using a gig-bag (I have one of those for each bass). Exceptions are my Eastwood Classic 4 which is a Gretsch-type shape and demands its own case and the '78 BB1200 which came with original case. The basses I'm not using stand around in my room in gig-bags.
Standing/hanging on display is not an option 'cos I have 2 young children.

Edited by SICbass

All my basses came with a hard case which are only used for storage. I have two custom flight cases for the long scale basses, one for short scale and three gig bags that i use most of the time when gigging. One for short scale that doubles for guitar and single and double gigbags for long scale basses.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1504339995' post='3364164']
I have a few basses but only one hard case, it's question of space for me, I couldn't own the number of basses I do if they were all stored in hard cases B)
[/quote]

Same for me, my basses live in gig bags in the house and go into the one hard case I own when taken out.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

If the bass came with a specific case (branded or fitted) then I keep it and it lives in the garage wrapped in cling film. Then I have a double gig bag inside because I rarely take more than two basses anywhere (except for a Bass Bash!)

In terms of storage IN the house, I have a three bass 'flight case' style case which sits in my office; it takes up less space than a 3 bass 'rack' and looks nice.

Generic hard cases I tend to move on, though. Gave the last two away to the school.

Talking of staffies and hard cases, though - when my parents came to stay we blocked the stairs with a flight case as Nellie had just had some medicine for her poorly leg and we didn't want her jumping up or down from the bed. In the morning, she was on my bed but the case was still across the stairs.. she'd jumped it and cleared it no worries. Combined with the first step we're talking about a meter standing jump on a slippery wooden floor!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504303802' post='3364074']
It's useful to have a load of familiar bass cases hanging around in various rooms in the house - for stealth purposes. Some of 'em may have basses in them, some of them may not, who knows..?? :biggrin:
[/quote]You are wise man and a hero to the GAS afflicted.

I have a number of gig bags, but only one proper hard case and a semi-rigid one (ooh, er, Mrs) for long road trips; this compromise seems to work.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1504345742' post='3364212']

Talking of staffies and hard cases, though - when my parents came to stay we blocked the stairs with a flight case as Nellie had just had some medicine for her poorly leg and we didn't want her jumping up or down from the bed. In the morning, she was on my bed but the case was still across the stairs.. she'd jumped it and cleared it no worries. Combined with the first step we're talking about a meter standing jump on a slippery wooden floor!!!
[/quote]Nellie is a legend.

For my 2 basses I've got a hard case and a gig bag. The bass that I use exclusively for my metal band (set up permanently drop tuned with flats) stays in the hard care, as that's what it goes to gigs in, but my main 'player' is my fretless Jazz in the gig bag; I use it for dep stuff/jam nights etc... and playing at home; that one tends to get treated a bit more gently than the other 😉