Why become a member? ×

What has happened to Fender colours?

Nicko

I suppose that should really read colors, 'cos I'm talking about the USA range.

These only appear to be available in black, white, burst and something they describe as olive which looks like its surplus paint from the old vauxhall factory. The white and green come with a mint colour pickguard which would look bad on its own, and even worse on the body colours. As I don't like burst that would mean another black bass.

Surely we deserve better than this?

[quote name='Winny Pooh' timestamp='1485784336' post='3226632']
Buy a bass with something else on the headstock.
[/quote]

+1. I love fenders but there's just so many other great bass makers out there now and with limited colour options and Fender QC being somewhat "inconsistent" at times then maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

They just need to have a few exciting colours in the range. Like, every year, introduce one off the wall colour and one classic pastel.

E.g.

Off the wall - Purple metalflake
Classic - Sea Foam Green or Sonic Blue (non metallic)

I agree that the latest colours are just dull. I personally like Sunburst and White, but they NEED that tort guard they used for the American Standards.

I don't own any black basses and I doubt I will.

The new green and blue/grey and ok, but....meh....not exciting.

Probably the most boring lineup I've ever seen them release. Good job because right now the last thing I need is more basses.

Edited by Musicman20

I also quite like the green and the blue/grey, but I do think it's a bit poor that you can get the classic colours on MIM basses but not MIA ones.

Still, if I were looking to buy a new bass for Fender MIA money I'd be looking at a Cutlass or an LB-100.

It's just the same as Fender have always done isn't it? Black, white & sunburst plus one or two extras each yearly cycle (this years' being the quite nice IMO green). 90% of bassists are probably happy with the basic colours anyway.

It would be nice if people that wanted different colours could specify but Fender are a mass-producing brand & the small number of people wanting different colours seemingly just aren't worth the effort. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other manufacturers (both Leo Fender derived & not) out there offering different colour options. Or just get a Fender re-finished.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1485860657' post='3227200']
90% of bassists are probably happy with the basic colours anyway.
[/quote]

I wonder how many Maruszczyk owners didn't need a new bass until they saw other people's sofa shots of something colourful and pretty, and thought... :wub: :gas:

That's what marketing is all about, and Fender just seem to be rubbish at it.