Why become a member? ×

Country Music - How do you embellish?

Surrpaul

My covers band, like most I assume, get requests all the time from punters. We try our best to add some to our set if we think it'll benefit us long-term, as most fit into the genre of music we mostly play. Until Country was requested...

We get asked for Cash all the time. Every gig almost it seems, so we've decided to go for Folsam Prison Blues.

Its dead easy, pretty much E A B7 throughout, and whilst I am comfortable playing the original bass lines in the song, I can't embellish it the way I want to. I want it to be an authentic 'fill' when I do it. Some quick web searches throw up chromatic elements to scales but I want something in particular to make country music fans go "oh man, that bass line was sweet there".

My question, what would you do, specifically, to provide a quick fill/flourish to colour the dull monotony of the percussive element to the bass line in the song?

Keep it relatively simple. The bass line in that song holds down the groove.
I don't know how much theory you know, so put in simple terms, stick to the A and B on the D string and the D and E on the G string, try to link some of the notes through them.
Don't go looking to make it complicated though, there's just no need IMO

I'm not a fan of Folsom Prison Blues, and this style of Country isn't my favourite, but I'd play 2 in the bar (root and 5th) with some simple runs between the chords because that is what works the best.

Always serve the song. Make sure your timing is impeccable and hope you like the next number better.

If you think this is dull and monotonous then you should be looking for different, better Country numbers to play. Adding stuff that isn't relevant isn't going to make the song any better for you or the rest of the band.

As others have said, it's not about the flash and the fills (tho some chromatic approach notes and walking bass will go down nicely). What it is about is (and you might find the use of this word surprising) [i][b]the groove[/b][/i] and playing/driving the song right in the pocket. Creating an energy behind a fairly simple line played fairly straight rather than allowing the 1-5-1-5 to be a plod. It's a skill which will serve you well in many other contexts too!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Surrpaul' timestamp='1478687436' post='3170878']
Cheers guys. All sound advice. I've been playing nearly 20 years and this is the first time in many years I've thought I am out of my comfort zone.
[/quote]

you've no idea how reassuring this is, I was about to put up a thread about how to play country. I've sat in with a band for a couple of gigs and just been asked by someone to play some country/Americana with his band. I'm finding it really hard, you've got to keep it really simple so there is nowhere to hide. Timing has to be on the nail, you are often playing two to the bar or even one and the chord changes don't seem to fall where I expect them. It's all root fifth, except it isn't and the dominant 7th kills the songs I'm playing. Chromatic runs don't seem to work at all, though scale runs do, but then again not too often.

Help Guys I'm lost

I'm going to have to listen to a lot of this stuff I think, tough as I'm not that keen but it is going to be an education.

Edited by Phil Starr

Seriously, some of the old Country songs are very basic, and there is not a lot you can do about it, because there's nothing worse than a bass player who overplays, IMO. Play some more modern country material and it gets a lot more interesting.

Edited by stevie

I was asked to dep in a Country/Irish band a few years ago. I got bored shitless Root/Fiffing - so I gave it a bit of welly and was told off for overplaying and ruining the feel of the song. Once I reverted back, they were happy as Larry. :happy:

Double stops can be useful and are worth a try. Playing more notes in the same space... filling the sound a little? Depends on the band line-up of course, but if there is a space that needs filled why not have a try?

Generally though, Country music (in most of its incarnations) is pretty much about the vocals and guitar - although they can only truly shine if the rhythm section is solid. IMO of course.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1478689472' post='3170906']
When playing Fulsom Prison and the harmony moves from C to F - play C, D, E, F.

Knocks them dead every time. :D
[/quote]
I played this for the second time ever, doing it even more basic than that and it totally got people clapping along. I don't think you need to embellish -simple has its virtues

you've said you're playing country because you're audience want to hear it. Why not pander to them even more by playing the original bass line. That's what worked for the song back in the day - no reason at all why it shouldn't work for the song now.

I'm with an Americana Band and we do a lot of roots stuff: Gillian Welsh, Michelle Shocked, Emmy-Lou etc and its really refreshing just to sit back and do Root-5th and keep it dead simple. In fact sometimes I have to tell myself to stop embellishing! We have no drummer ( double negative?) so I'm in charge of tempo and I then get a chance to sit back and listen to the harmonies.

Agree with the keeping it simple approach. Sometimes doesn't need to be even root/5th, just root/root!! Lots of skill in not overplaying and thinking about exactly where to put the notes in each bar so as not to lose the groove. I love it....

Edited by casapete

Root or fifth (or both...) at an octave above or below can be easily worked in to 'lift' a groove., if done with taste, and sparingly. To hear just what [i]can [/i]be done, try listening to the early Hot Tuna albums, with Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen.

The words "embellish the bass part" and "country music" don't belong in the same universe, I'm afraid. Embellishment in country is for the guitar, steel, fiddle or any of the melody instruments, but NOT the bass player, I'm afraid. Sorry. Just have to play the bag and save the adventurous stuff for another time.

[quote name='Surrpaul' timestamp='1478684346' post='3170833']
... we've decided to go for Folsam Prison Blues.
[/quote]
[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1478689472' post='3170906']
When playing Fulsom Prison ...
[/quote]

Reckon I'd start by learning how to spell Folsom.

:)

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1478696064' post='3170983']
you've said you're playing country because you're audience want to hear it. Why not pander to them even more by playing the original bass line. That's what worked for the song back in the day - no reason at all why it shouldn't work for the song now.
[/quote]
[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1478698006' post='3171004']
Try practicing restraint rather than embellishment. A much more useful skill.
[/quote]
[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1478698935' post='3171019']
Agree with the keeping it simple approach. Sometimes doesn't need to be even root/5th, just root/root!! Lots of skill in not overplaying and thinking about exactly where to put the notes in each bar so as not to lose the groove. I love it....
[/quote]
[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1478701254' post='3171037']
The words "embellish the bass part" and "country music" don't belong in the same universe, I'm afraid. Embellishment in country is for the guitar, steel, fiddle or any of the melody instruments, but NOT the bass player, I'm afraid. Sorry. Just have to play the bag and save the adventurous stuff for another time.
[/quote]

Sometimes you hate people for being right :)

Actually it's going to be an interesting challenge, I might even have to pay attention to string damping.