Why become a member? ×

Your tone or genre inspired?

Guest MoJo

I play in a covers band and find that, where applicable, I try to replicate a tone that one would associate with that period or genre. 50's / 60's covers, I'll play on the neck pickup with the tone rolled almost all the way off and play up near the neck. Punk / rock numbers, again the neck pickup, tone wide open this time, played with a pick or 'Steve Harris-like' attack. For The Who's 'Substitute', I have both pickups on, tone wide open with overdrive.

Who else does this or do you go with your own tone for every song you play?

I play Jazz basses and pretty much always go for the classic 'everything on full' approach.

That sound is why I play jazzes.

If I do want to try and match someone else's tone I generally tweak the amp or cycle through the presets on my zoom b1on.

When I was in a punk covers band I just used a regular Precision type sound, a little scooped on the mids, a tad boosted on the highs and a bit of gain. Aside from when we did Jam numbers when I played nearer the bridge for some extra attack I tended to play the same for all the songs, leaving the guitarist to replicate the sound of the songs as he had a pedal-board that enabled him to do this very accurately.

Aside from us bassists I don`t think many people would realise the sound of the bass was changing, be it from pickup to pickup, drive added, more attack etc. However they would probably think "so-and-so band were good, all their songs sounded like the originals".

My core tone stays pretty much the same the majority of the time.
Some songs I'll add a little overdrive to warm things up a bit if I think it needs it or if the song calls for a particular effect I'll try to at least loosely approximate it.
Generally though, even then I'll be aiming for my own version of the sound as I'm not really any good at sounding like anyone else anyway.

My band does modern rock covers and I primary play a EBMM Stingray. I use a warm, slightly valvey overdrive from an Ibanez Phat Hed pedal on 90% of the set which works really well. For some songs though I try to get an approximation of the tone on the original recording. For instance, the Muse songs we do wouldn't sound right without a synthy, Muffy tone.

Yup, one of my bands is verrrry varied stuff (Luther Vandross to Johnny Cash to GnR to Bruno Marsbar to Muse to all sorts), so I'll change style from fingers to slap to pick as required, and tweak the tone (always on the bass: two pickups and an East URetro does it all) to suit.

Playing a couple of Wals the scope for tonal change is quite wide. So, I've got about four or five "core tones" that I'll use by changing various settings on the bass. Then I'll further vary the sound by varying picking technique and position. That gives a huge range of potential tones for a wide range of songs. I'll try to use a tone which, to my ears, seems to suit the song. However, that's a personal and subjective appraisal and not from studying the original record and trying to emulate it.

Some will have obvious constituents... if we're doing Dreadlock Holiday or Walking On The Mood it will be deep and dubby not bright and twangy. If we're doing Sweet Caroline or Maggie May it'll be a more trad sound than boosted and active sounding... Beyond that, though, the tone may be unlike the original to some extent. Just so long as it works in context.

In the many years I've been gigging no one has ever said, "Why don't you sound like so and so". If they did I'd tell them that I play like me. . . . sounding like I sound.

When I gig with a Reggae band I'll start with a tone for that band, same with the Rock, Blues and covers gigs, but I don't change my tone during the gig.

Maybe I just don't listen to bands who do that, but I don't hear any other players on the circuit or on big gigs doing that either.

There are some rare examples where approximating the tone would be essential such as Chris Squire in Yes. However, even though I really respect Paul McCartney's writing and playing - I hate his tone and so I would just grab a Precision with flats, which would easily be good enough for a covers band. Indeed two Precisions (or equivalents) one with flats and one with rounds would cover everything IMHO for a covers band.

Was listening to Tales from the Topographic Oceans and still marvel at Chris's uniqueness.

Davo

i sometimes try to replicate the tone but most of the time i just go with the tone i like, i'm in a covers band not a tribute so i dont feel i need to replicate the original tone. If a bit of drive is needed i'll add that but thats about it though i do play with the pickup blend if i want a more neck type of sound.

Yes, lots of tweaks through the set, mainly to Mids on the Bass or the shape control on the Bass Attack pedal. I play in a covers band covering Bowie and Stones through to G&R and Metallica. A Duff Mackagan tone is not appropriate for Brown Sugar and vice versa.

In my mind I'm trying to have a classic sixties type thumpy tone for Stones & Credence & Bowie, a standard rock tone for most of the set and a Metal type tone for Maiden etc. Througout the set I'm adjusting bass eq & volume, Preamp Pedal setting and amp settings (Horn & drive).

Does anyone in the band or audience notice....DTF LOL

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476028588' post='3150565']
I play in a covers band and find that, where applicable, I try to replicate a tone that one would associate with that period or genre. 50's / 60's covers, I'll play on the neck pickup with the tone rolled almost all the way off and play up near the neck. Punk / rock numbers, again the neck pickup, tone wide open this time, played with a pick or 'Steve Harris-like' attack. For The Who's 'Substitute', I have both pickups on, tone wide open with overdrive.

Who else does this or do you go with your own tone for every song you play?
[/quote]

Edited by stuckinthepod

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1476104987' post='3151296']
Yes, lots of tweaks through the set, mainly to Mids on the Bass or the shape control on the Bass Attack pedal. I play in a covers band covering Bowie and Stones through to G&R and Metallica. A Duff Mackagan tone is not appropriate for Brown Sugar and vice versa.

In my mind I'm trying to have a classic sixties type thumpy tone for Stones & Credence & Bowie, a standard rock tone for most of the set and a Metal type tone for Maiden etc. Througout the set I'm adjusting bass eq & volume, Preamp Pedal setting and amp settings (Horn & drive).

Does anyone in the band or audience notice....DTF LOL
[/quote]

I'm glad that I'm not the only one :lol:

Well as a one trick pony Stingray player I must have only one option surely? Pick, fingers, slap, thumb, near the neck, near the bridge, palm muted, then all those with the treble up or down, not swapping and changing your gear every five minutes for the latest fad bass means you can get the tone you want without even listening to it, I know exactly how far to turn the treble pot when swapping between pick and fingers for example.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1476124229' post='3151570']
Well as a one trick pony Stingray player I must have only one option surely? Pick, fingers, slap, thumb, near the neck, near the bridge, palm muted, then all those with the treble up or down, not swapping and changing your gear every five minutes for the latest fad bass means you can get the tone you want without even listening to it, I know exactly how far to turn the treble pot when swapping between pick and fingers for example.
[/quote]
This ^^^^. One bass, plenty of options.

As far as tone or sound goes I will use a pick if the original bassist did on the song we are covering other than than its pretty much just me doing my thing. Occasionally I might roll some treble off if needed ir make subtle changes.
Edit. Another stingray one trick pony who employs similar techniques too!

Edited by mep

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1476029917' post='3150596']
I play Jazz basses and pretty much always go for the classic 'everything on full' approach.

That sound is why I play jazzes.
[/quote]

Me too. Occasionally we'll do something by Iron Maiden or Saxon (or something in a similar vein) and I roll the back pickup off to give me more of a P bass sound. That's about it.

It's taken about 20 years to identify it but I have 'my' tone.

Lots of lower mid range articulation and warmth with some clean highs without being brittle - sort of where Wal are at but also Jaydee, some Status, AGC and Sei basses. Definitely a british thing, I think and probably 80's inspired. It's possible to achieve it through a range of methods but typically involves Class D amps and either of the following materials and construction:

1) Bolt on graphite necks with soft body wood, pickups close to the bridge and a bit of chambering
or
2) Wenge and birdseye or flame maple through neck
or
3) Soft/flame/birdseye maple through neck and ebony fingerboard plus some bass eq boost

Occasionally I'll find it in a through body graphite neck but it depends on how the neck is built. Stiffer necks tend to sound less growly and more piano like.

However, I will make whatever adjustments are needed to nail a specific sound for a part - which is why I have coil split pickups and three band parametric onboard eq.