Why become a member? ×

Bass Player wanted. blah blah.

bubinga5

Seen various adverts for basses wanted etc. Always makes me laugh. Oh must be between 20 to 30, must play a black pbass, must not wear trainers, must have a stylish haircut. Etc etc, Blah blah. The sort of band I would never be interested in. Where's the, must be able read chord charts, must have good musical communication skills,etc etc. Rant over.

I always found it was better to say "we are" rather than "what we want" - I never got why more ads don't do this. An ad looking for 20-25yr olds could miss out on a perfect 28yr old.

But yes, I immediately switch off when I read really specific criteria, even if I happen to meet it.

And no band is ever going to dictate to me what shoes I wear!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1472374076' post='3120583']
I always found it was better to say "we are" rather than "what we want" - I never got why more ads don't do this. An ad looking for 20-25yr olds could miss out on a perfect 28yr old.

But yes, I immediately switch off when I read really specific criteria, even if I happen to meet it.

And no band is ever going to dictate to me what shoes I wear!
[/quote]

There have been plenty of similar threads on here, with many arguing, correctly IMO, that image can be very important. I think this response answers that perfectly.

These sorts of ads were common in the Melody Maker in the 60's. And so I guess every decade since.

It seems to be a general requirement that bands need like minded members so this type of ad is one way of achieving that.

Bands always have specific requirements and for some that includes appearance and attitude. I'd like to know that I'm going to fail the physical before I drive 60 miles for the audition.

I just did a gig yesterday where they dictated the shoes. Black ones. . . and trousers etc. . . . it was a wedding and the dress code requirement was entirely appropriate for that gig.

I don't see a problem with those sorts of ads...at least everyone will be absolutely clear from the outset what to expect. Musical dexterity isn't everything in a band either. I'm sure we've all been in a band with a technical incredible player who gets on everyone's nerves and causes conflict due to the fact that they're also an unpleasant human being. My vote would always go to the inexperienced musician who is driven to improve his or her skills and really contribute to a band above the complacent muso.

Ads like these (says he generalising wildly) tend to be from younger, start up bands, who already have a rather idealised manifesto. As you get older, it tends to be more about the boot capacity of your car and whether you can get a regular babysitter rather than the colour of your Converse trainers...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1472382060' post='3120646']
Loada bowlacks, I was watching a programme with Kilburn and the high roads on it, vocalist with Polio, 1 legged drummer, guitarist was a dwarf , not sure about the rest of em but fantastic band.
[/quote]

Yeah, but did you read the original wanted ad: "Polio ridden vocalist seeks uniped percusionist and vertically challenged guitarist for Pub Rock band. No timewasters".

I can maybe understand the age thing if they're all 14, 15, 16 or 17. It would be a bit odd for someone old enough to be one of their grandparents came along.

However I do find it bizarre when they impose an upper age limit of 40, when they're in their 30's, and are looking to do function gigs.

I'm lucky to play with some amazing (they'd hate me for saying this), elderly musicians. The one jazz band they're all retired, their ages go from 60 to mid 70s. The other has a guitarist who's 85, the youngest is a lady sax player who's early 60s. Then there's me younger than them all by a quarter of a century. They're great, they accept me and my weirdness, we have a laugh and we play some amazing music.

I remember there was a similar add in the back of Guitar and Bass magazine, it must have been there for well over a year, it was something like "Band seeks bassist aged 18 to 20 must have long brown hair!" Ok I get the age thing, it may be slightly limiting but Ok, but I can't get my head around the long brown hair, are we talking Cousin It length or just over the shoulder, what actually constitutes brown, is mousey blonde sufficiently to qualify.

I was so tempted to find a picture of some 18 year stunning blonde holding a bass and send it to them with a message saying "really wanted to apply but sadly my hair was the wrong colour...gutted" Love Michelle aged 19 :D

I dont see a problem if a band already has an image, or aiming for one and they want someone to fit in. Image is a big part of music these days.
Id think musicality, communication etc is a given. I bet they also dont state two legs and 10 toes. Just because the ad's leave things out doesn't mean they arent required. This is just common sense.

Its their band, if you dont like it or dont fit the requirements just move on. No need for us to have yet another of these threads on here. I thought us bass players were the good, friendly guys, not the moaners. Oh how times have changed

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1472384822' post='3120667']
I remember there was a similar add in the back of Guitar and Bass magazine, it must have been there for well over a year, it was something like "Band seeks bassist aged 18 to 20 must have long brown hair!" Ok I get the age thing, it may be slightly limiting but Ok, but I can't get my head around the long brown hair, are we talking Cousin It length or just over the shoulder, what actually constitutes brown, is mousey blonde sufficiently to qualify.

I was so tempted to find a picture of some 18 year stunning blonde holding a bass and send it to them with a message saying "really wanted to apply but sadly my hair was the wrong colour...gutted" Love Michelle aged 19 :D
[/quote]

I know about this ad... the person involved lived in Florida (why they were putting an ad in a UK mag I have no idea), and was something of a fantasist whose interest in guitar players with long brown hair was most likely, shall we say, "not musical".

I didn't answer the ad myself, incidentally... I have almost no hair at all.

Edited by KK Jale

For lots of pop & rock bands, at all levels, image is at least as important as ability.
I remember reading an interview with Stuart Hamm once where he said he replied to an ad for a bass player for Cher's touring band. The first question they asked was "What do you look like?". He didn't get the gig. :)