Why become a member? ×

Funny how things work.....

At short notice (last sun eve 'URGENT Facebook message' ) I got asked to attend and judge in a high school 'battle of the bands' by my mate who is head of music at a local school.
The other judges were the singer and the drummer from my function band, plus another good friend (head of music at another school) plus none other Uli Jon Roth (of The Scorpions).

We were asked to play a short set at the end of the show as judges, plus Uli Jon wanted to play a song too!

Cue Monday eve and I find myself rehearsing 'all along the watchtower' with my drum buddy, keys player / teacher mate and Uli Jon Roth!
An experience in itself! He had the famous 'sky' guitar with him (all 30 odd frets, scalloped, some whole tone) and some other crazy gear.

It was like being in my own personal 'Spinal Tap' and I could type hundreds of words about it (like how he asked my mate to double up on a fast Cm arpeggio thing he was playing at lightening speed, which my buddy picked up super quick and got the best compliment from Uli - "when I played this with Steve Vai last year, he didn't pick this up as fast as you"). My mate you see used to play keys for Echo and the bunneymen, the lightning seeds and others when he was a session player!!

Uli is a really nice guy and an amazing guitar player and musician, plus LOVES Hendrix!

Get to Tuesday and we arrive at the venue having sourced a Marshall 4x12 for Uli (his gear was in transit from Spain to Denmark or something), do a quick sound check and are good to go.
Show goes well and the kids are great, then we play a set, then the song with Uli - fair play, he was brilliant but also very complimentary to us all.

He's now asked if he can guest with us in the new psychedelic blues band we've formed at a festival in Aug and do some shows with us going forward, plus we've swapped numbers and emails as he Said he liked my playing and asked if I'd be interested in playing bass with his band when he next tours!
He has warned me though that he likes to play LOUD!

This is the man who EVH, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and many more cite as a major influence!

Music. Bloody hell.

Comes across as a nice bloke in interviews. If it's music you like then as long as you can spare the time to do it then great stuff. Prob just get him guesting with your band first to see how it pans out? It would look good on your posters for festivals with the 'featuring Uli Jon Roth' sub header. I still occasionally play one of the Electreic Sun albums in the car. Barking mad in places but it always puts a smile on my face.

Edited by KevB

Great! Well done you!
One thing: Before you start swanning around the world with him, make sure there is at least enough £$£$ to cover you.
Got a similar offer years ago and discovered the standard pay was a lot less than I was making in my little local band. Like, a LOT less.

I am sure the deal will be "right" but it never hurts to ask and be sure up front.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1468010521' post='3088118']...
We were asked to play a short set at the end of the show as judges, plus Uli Jon wanted to play a song too!...
[/quote]

Just being a tad mischievous here, but would I be right in assuming that this was an [i]unpaid [/i]invitation to play..? ;)
Congratulations on the contacts made, of course, and good luck with the ongoing venture.

Edited by Dad3353

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1468010521' post='3088118']
He's now asked if he can guest with us in the new psychedelic blues band we've formed at a festival in Aug and do some shows with us going forward, plus we've swapped numbers and emails as he Said he liked my playing and asked if I'd be interested in playing bass with his band when he next tours!
[/quote]

I think thats whats they call a result.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1468073256' post='3088448']
.....and yes, we did play for free.......but being fair, it was for a school event and was helping mate out!!
[/quote]
If it was free, I hope you played in your basement to your friends and family only?

PS congrats on an amazing and frankly surreal experience, and I hope it works out :D