Why become a member? ×

New band with near identical name...

BrunoBass

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1465471149' post='3068498']
Thing is the names aren't the same. Registering "Till Dawn" would not stop a band called "awake till dawn" because the copyright doesn't give you the rights to any other names that contain your name plus other words, only if another band has exactly the same name.

I could start a band called "Paris In Flames" and I might get a sh*tty letter from the band "In Flames" but it's unlikely they could actually do a damn thing about it.
[/quote]
Equally, there is nothing to stop one party registering both 'till dawn' and 'awake till dawn' to force the issue - at £170 per name registration to give a undisputable legal position it might be more economical than letters from solicitors.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1465471318' post='3068500']
OMG really? There's a band called Velcro Pelmet up near Alnwick, too..!
[/quote]

Get us a gig up there and we'll happily play as "The London Velcro Pelmet"

So we became The Originals, and we had to change our name as there was another group in the east end called The Originals and we had to rename ourselves The New Originals. Then The Originals changed their name back to The Regulars and we thought well, we could go back to The Originals but what's the point?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1465474976' post='3068550']
So we became The Originals, and we had to change our name as there was another group in the east end called The Originals and we had to rename ourselves The New Originals. Then The Originals changed their name back to The Regulars and we thought well, we could go back to The Originals but what's the point?
[/quote]
Obvious - become the Original New Originals.

[/quote]

You could always have your lead singer adopt a stage name, allowing you to become Werther and the Originals...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1465471243' post='3068499']

No it wasn't unfortunately. Apparently tho she was called Helen and signed copies in the virgin store where she worked on the tills at the time. Ten years back there was a search for her to celebrate the anniversary of virgin stores or something.
I think it's a pretty cool story.
[/quote]

It is indeed. Great record too, Chris Sievey was a bit of an underrated genius.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1465472689' post='3068523']
Ask them if they realise you are a leather clad homo erotic adults only show band performing sexual acts on stage and that you don't want them ending up with your audience at their shows?
[/quote]

So you've seen us then?

😅

In the late 70s a mate's band "7 Year Itch" were doing OK, they were actually "big in Spain". They were taken to court by another band with the same name. They lost.
No problem they thought, they just changed the bands name to an abbreviation of the guitarists name, which brought the world "Wamm", just prior to a certain young duo's first hit.
They gave up soon after that. :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1465476874' post='3068567']
Why not change your name to 'A Wake Til Dawn'?
[/quote][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1465480396' post='3068603']
Or check your band's bank balance, then change the name to Til Dawn Broke.

:mellow:
[/quote]

Or dress up a bit and call yourselves Ewok Til Dawn

Go to one of their gigs, suss out if they are bigger than you and could beat you in a fist fight, if you would win, beat them up, if they would win.....change you bands name!...........I must add this is meant in jest, I won't condone mindless violence unless you capture it on video and post it on YouTube as a warning to anyone else trying to steal your name!

On a serious note, I don't know what you should do other than be annoyed about it, have you checked out the type of music they are playing, if it is the same genre then I guess it's more of an issue

[/quote]

Great band. I think I saw them down at the Electric Banana. Don't look for it, it's not there anymore.

Mid to late 1990s, formed a punk/goth band and called it Wasp Factory. We got an indie recording deal, and were all set to go into the studio when NME had a gushing write up of an unremarkable indie band called ... The Wasp Factory. So we became Complicity. We shouldn't have bothered with the name change as the indie band went nowhere.

An acquaintance, now sadly departed, had a band called Altered States which he formed in the 1980s and which he later reformed in the 1990s (with a bassist who went on to become the Complicity guitarist funnily enough). He registered the name, and I know for sure he stopped at least one other band using the name.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465472017' post='3068512']
That's actually a good band name.
[/quote]

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Collapse"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Collapse[/url]
Not a band name but track 7.

Had this a couple of times. The second time we'd picked the name The Slow Blade and then found out there was another band at the other end of the country with the same one. We played different genres and I hate touring so there was little chance of running into them. If they'd asked us to change it we probably would have done but it never turned into an issue.

First one was weirder. Another band claimed they'd also happened to come up with the name 65daysofstatic which was dubious. Really odd thing was, they were based in my home town of Chester and one of them was also called Gareth which left me with a few awkward questions to answer. They disappeared pretty fast.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1465576661' post='3069423']
First one was weirder. Another band claimed they'd also happened to come up with the name 65daysofstatic which was dubious. Really odd thing was, they were based in my home town of Chester and one of them was also called Gareth which left me with a few awkward questions to answer. They disappeared pretty fast.
[/quote]

Are you sure this wasn't like a fight club sort of thing, where it is actually you starting a competing group to get at yourself?

The (English) Beat were known as The English Beat in the US and The Beat in Europe.

While

The (US) Beat where known as The Paul Collins Beat in Europe and The Beat in the US.

Even though The English Beat were established before The Paul Collins Beat.

An interesting solution.

Maybe add another word in front of yours as well to eliminate the confusion?

I can't find a Face book page for the OP's band however, Awake til dawn do have one that's easy to find, offering their music and merchandising, answering questions etc. It's a possibility that they won't simply "get bored and pack it in" as they seem pretty keen and enthusiastic about doing this properly.

I would have thought that the first step for the OP's band would have been to advertise the fact that you are not to be confused with ..............etc, on your Face book page. However, if you don't have one.....

Sorry if I'm mistaken but if you do have one, I can't find it.