Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerfords new bass rig.....open the biscuits, pull up a chair and wait for it :-)

Mudpup

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464951010' post='3064046']
...and Donny Hathaway Live. .
[/quote]

Alex, you just went up massively in my estimation! I love that album - Willie Weeks is a monster!

I understand others reasons for wanting to keep members' feet on the ground and not join in on the bandwagon of sycofancy, but as a year+ owner of 2x Retro 210s, I' can't say anything bad about them. That's even with the constant Tolex peel around the back panel. The sound from them is monster, and for most gigs I only use one. I must say I really took Alex's advice as a gamble as I didn't believe that 2x10s would be able to give massive lows (and more) like my old 15 had, but he was right.

BTW, Congrats on the Tim Commerford thing. I didn't know who he was until the recent feature in BGM. :)

Edited by Huge Hands

I realise I haven't actually congratulated Alex so....congratulations! As an early adopter of Barefaced I feel special and I should be treated accordingly.

Seriously though, well done mate :)

[attachment=220641:SN853922.JPG]

<tangent>John Entwistle. I think he was the perfect bass player for The Who and the band wouldn't have been the same without him. However I don't get it. Especially in later years he had probably one of the worst bass tones I've ever heard in my life and his clickety clackety, typewriter falling down stairs style does absolutely nothing for me.</tangent>

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1464956096' post='3064120']
<tangent>John Entwistle. I think he was the perfect bass player for The Who and the band wouldn't have been the same without him. However I don't get it. Especially in later years he had probably one of the worst bass tones I've ever heard in my life and his clickety clackety, typewriter falling down stairs style does absolutely nothing for me.</tangent>
[/quote]
Given his liaisons with the ladies and his affection for the white stuff, I figured tone didn't really figure up his list of priorities in latter years.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464885421' post='3063549']
I think JE is the Daddy of bass tone with TC as a small boy looking out a window in a town a long way away.
[/quote]
[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1464953587' post='3064082']
Oh dear.
[/quote]

Oh dear indeed. It's raining too, running down the glass and masking the tears.

Personally I think it's brilliant that Alex had an idea an ran with it. And to attract someone of TC's quality is great and will no doubt help fill the order book.

With so many start up companies going under within 12 months of starting I would have said Alex was utterly mental to set up a manufacturing company in the UK. But he's managed it, and whether I like the cabs or not (only tried the One10, and I've got my order in for a second one) it's a very welcome success story.

I wonder if Larry Hartke would get the repeated slagging on here that Alex gets? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm delighted to see Alex 'getting there' - his attention to detail & customer service is first rate, as, in my opinion, is the product.
(I've just run up my Dubsters on a couple of Ormat 3000s, and I might get my hearing back to normal by Wednesday).
Well done mate, it's not easy to start a business from scratch (I know, I've done it a couple of times).

:)

Edited by taunton-hobbit

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464974264' post='3064336']
Personally I think it's brilliant that Alex had an idea an ran with it. And to attract someone of TC's quality is great and will no doubt help fill the order book.

With so many start up companies going under within 12 months of starting I would have said Alex was utterly mental to set up a manufacturing company in the UK. But he's managed it, and whether I like the cabs or not (only tried the One10, and I've got my order in for a second one) it's a very welcome success story.

I wonder if Larry Hartke would get the repeated slagging on here that Alex gets? Somehow I doubt it.
[/quote]
Where is Alex getting slagged?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464975616' post='3064365']
Where is Alex getting slagged?
[/quote]
Er...he's not as far as I can tell.
Larry Hartke doesn't get slagged for the simple reason that his products are really good , reliable , durable and value for money..so why would he ?

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464978689' post='3064407']
Anything other than massive praise is classed as slagging off regarding BF cabs, this is basschat law.
[/quote]

Ok, poor choice of words.

But I still don't know why it's only his products that get this amount of polarising discussion.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1464980403' post='3064440']

But I still don't know why it's only his products that get this amount of polarising discussion.
[/quote]

I could give you my opinions on why....but I'm really not going down that rabbit hole again....#allbeensaidbefore...

[/quote]

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the marketing language is pretty bold & aggressive*... which I suspect is more of a magnet to critics.

[size=3]*I'm not suggesting for one minute that it's untrue, just bold & aggressive.[/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464980778' post='3064448']
If I had to take a guess, I'd say the marketing language is pretty bold & aggressive*... which I suspect is more of a magnet to critics.

[size=3]*I'm not suggesting for one minute that it's untrue, just bold & aggressive.[/size]
[/quote]
Hang on....I'm just getting the biscuits.... :gas:

JE's sound did indeed go south when he got indulgent with his super rigs and odd basses.. :lol:
and he never had the technique to cover up for it. He may well have been deaf as well ..which would explain a lot....but hey, people loved him.
Some of his later sound recordings could be woeful ... and maybe you'd excuse that to his 'excesses'

I get that people also like Tim Commerford but I don't think anyone is serious about him being the arbitor of tone.
These sort of popularity contests are akin to those old Melody Makers best musician polls.
People voted for who they liked... and it was purely a populairty contest won by musicians in the most popular band of the day.
What is so unusual about that..apart from them meaning not a lot :lol:

I am not sure what an "arbitor" of tone is and can't be arsed to google it. But, for me TC is well up there amongst the best when it comes to tasteful lines that complement the tune with the perfect tones to match. Note I said toneS there, he has many! I also recognise JE as a great player but his tones and perhaps more than anything else, the tunes he was playing to, never really did it for me.....................but of course, thats just my personal taste.

[/quote]

I think one of the reasons why is the somewhat "preachy" nature of some Barefaced owners. There are many, many very high quality cabs out there these days, which of course is awesome for us. Some will think Barefaced build the best for their surprisingly loud-for-their-size speakers and lightweight nature, others would think there are many with much nicer tone than Barefaced and volume/unexpected lows are not everything. However, I think a select few Barefaced owners feel the need to tell everyone that Alex builds the best and loudest cabinets in the world, even more than he does! That naturally gets peoples backs up, and creates threads like this. There are LOADS of example of both sides in this thread alone, preach and bait and argue.

I have already congratulated Alex, but I do wish people were allowed to have their opinion without being shouted down, on either side of the arguement. I bet I get shouted down now, for example!!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1464987334' post='3064532']
I think one of the reasons why is the somewhat "preachy" nature of some Barefaced owners. There are many, many very high quality cabs out there these days, which of course is awesome for us. Some will think Barefaced build the best for their surprisingly loud-for-their-size speakers and lightweight nature, others would think there are many with much nicer tone than Barefaced and volume/unexpected lows are not everything. However, I think a select few Barefaced owners feel the need to tell everyone that Alex builds the best and loudest cabinets in the world, even more than he does! That naturally gets peoples backs up, and creates threads like this. There are LOADS of example of both sides in this thread alone, preach and bait and argue.

I have already congratulated Alex, but I do wish people were allowed to have their opinion without being shouted down, on either side of the arguement. I bet I get shouted down now, for example!!
[/quote]

Not at all Kev, I think you`ve nailed it there. I love my Barefaced cabs, they really are the best option for me, in size, weight and tone. I`ve had many other cabs and some have been ok, some I`ve really loved, but my - insert X Factor fave word journey here - has led me to Barefaced and I`m very pleased with them. But if anyone likes another brand better, well that`s their choice, and their requirements are probably different to mine - not wrong, just different.

I`ll happily recommend BF to anyone, but where would the point be for me to say someone is wrong for not liking them - provided they`ve tried them that is. My view is no-one can objectively tell if they like a bit of gear from the way someone else is using it, as the eq selection could make it sound rubbish for example. A bit of gear needs to be tried out personally, and more often than not in a band setting, before an opinion can be reached.