Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerfords new bass rig.....open the biscuits, pull up a chair and wait for it :-)

Mudpup

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464808455' post='3062828']
As always Sean, I'm delighted to receive a spanking from you - especially an unexpected one. :) Not quite sure what I'm being 'punished' for though, to be honest. Oh well, a spanking is a spanking... we take our pleasures where we can...
[/quote]

Oh, I need a reason now do I? Well, you've changed your tune!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464808017' post='3062825']

Are you saying Macca's tone isn't good? No wonder The Beatles didn't sell any records.
[/quote]
I didn't say anything of the sort. Maccas tone is highly appropriate for what he does.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1464813030' post='3062882']
Back playing a stingray as well! Looks like a killer setup
[/quote]

All that movement of air, I'm surprised he can stand that close!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1464814827' post='3062911']
I hope you brought enough for everybody!!!

Got any dark chocolate ones?
[/quote]

Bought a catering pack - i knew this would run for a while.... :-)

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1464815058' post='3062913']
Bought a catering pack - i knew this would run for a while... :-)
[/quote]

Ah, there you are - the man who lit the blue touchpaper and retired!

Nicely done! Now give me a biscuit, please...

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464798333' post='3062683']
McCartney, King, Flea, Sting, that u2 bloke that would play through a Saisho tape player from the 80s if you put his squiggle on it?
[/quote]

All great musicians but they're not known for their tone specifically IMO. All those guys are pretty inconsistent with tone anyway aren't they? That's what I mean - whether or not Tim C is a virtuoso bassist or whether or not you like his music, I'm pretty sure it's a fact that he's widely regarded as a bit of a "tone wizard" on the bass.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464853120' post='3063087']

All great musicians but they're not known for their tone specifically IMO. All those guys are pretty inconsistent with tone anyway aren't they? That's what I mean - whether or not Tim C is a virtuoso bassist or whether or not you like his music, I'm pretty sure it's a fact that he's widely regarded as a bit of a "tone wizard" on the bass.
[/quote]

'Widely regarded' by people who know who he is, anyway.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464853120' post='3063087']

[/quote]

I don't know - I think Mark King alone had been responsible for selling a lot of whatever basses and amps he is using at the time because people are trying to cop his sound.

How many times have we read about the Wal vs Stingray argument for Flea?

I'm not sure you can write those players off in a single statement like that.

Both of those players will sell more gear through their use of gear than TC for sure. God only knows how many Hofners and Rickys Macca has been responsible for selling.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464853852' post='3063095']

[/quote]
Don't worry - he'll be on the front page of BGM with whoever the lead singer of whatever band it is that he is in soon - so everybody will know who he is.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464854649' post='3063108']
I'm not saying TC will shift more units than those other super-celeb-bassists, I'm just saying the guy is known for being a tone fiend, and IMO he's never had a bad tone, unlike all those other guys
[/quote]
But tone is completely subjective.

If somebody said they hate TCs tone but love MK's tone, who are you to say otherwise?

The equipment shifted due to the latter is in far greater quantities than the former... and isn't that what endorsement is about? Shifting boxes?

I like Anthony Jackson' s tone - I suspect he hasn't been instrumental shifting many Meyer boxes though...

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. Tim C gets involved in his sounds in a very intricate way. His rig is complex. He modifies his own basses, pedals, and amps. He's used a wide variety of tones. Lots of people are very interested in how he gets his sounds. He's not a plug in and play guy, he does something more interesting than that. While his endorsement might not shift more units (although I suspect it will) it means a lot to me (and I suspect many others) because he's a tone genius.

Other people have great sounds, but they tend to stick with them for a whole song, or a whole album, or even a whole career.

Imagine if Chris Wolstenholme endorsed a new dirt/synth pedal. That'd mean a lot wouldn't it. This is similar IMO

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464853852' post='3063095']
[/quote]

Yes, those people who are likely to be potential Barefaced customers.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464856872' post='3063129']
Don't worry, everyone else knows exactly what you mean.
[/quote]

:D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464859075' post='3063157']
The guy is obviously very discerning, and it's a great coup for Barefaced. But I still had to look him up :-)
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, but I think it may be true to say you're not really in the target audience for his kind of music. :) And to be fair I wouldn't have known who he was but for the fact that I was once in a band that covered a couple of Audioslave songs.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464861834' post='3063193']
He certainly won't harm the reputation and at least they are micd up, loads of people here have purchased gear based on a players live sound being good even when the player uses in ears and has no mics on the cabs, at best the preamp is on the signal chain.
[/quote]

But that gives the sound of the speaker and not the cab. How many people mic their cabs up to the PA in this manner outside of large stages? Let's not forget the signal from these mics are then mangled with a tonne of outboard either live or in the studio.

Not saying that this is exclusively the case for TC - it's common practice. But like everything - buying the gear doesn't always give you the same tone as the artist using it.

If I was TC and there is generally a big interest in my tone, I'd be profiling my rig and selling it through Kemper. Mind you, from what I've been reading, he's super cagey about how he gets his tone - lots of modifications, his own pickups and hiding the identity of what pedals he uses.

Maybe these aren't Barefaced cabs after all. Maybe it's a big trick to put people off the scent ;-p

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464862655' post='3063201']
Maybe these aren't Barefaced cabs after all. Maybe it's a big trick to put people off the scent ;-p
[/quote]

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? :D

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464862655' post='3063201']
...buying the gear doesn't always give you the same tone as the artist using it.
[/quote]

I'd say it almost never gives you the same tone as the artist using it. Like signature basses. The point is, he thinks Barefaced gear is more than good enough, the implication being that if it's good enough for him, then it's good enough for you.