Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerfords new bass rig.....open the biscuits, pull up a chair and wait for it :-)

Mudpup

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464876988' post='3063422']

Finally what? That post implies we were in the throws of battle and you've just won? If that's how you feel then well done!

All I ever said on this thread is that it's a great endorsement, and honestly it feels like you have been picking away at my posts, attempting to prove me wrong about something.

I always thought you were a pretty cool dude and liked and respected your posting style. I guess I should have continued to avoid the BF threads but Timmy C is a bit of an idol for me so I thought I'd join in.
[/quote]

I hope you don't feel like that. I enjoy your posts too.

I'm not picking away at your posts either - the finally comment was more of an acknowledgement of somebody getting what I was trying to get across.

I've actually owned one and disliked it but looking at the replies the fan club have given other people I decided not to say anything before, now I have I will be put on the naughty step with a few others, must be my amp, bass,playing, venue, cab choice for genre of music before it being not for me,that said I sold it on after six months of struggling with it without any problems or losing much money.

Has TC got some new cabs then? - I was looking at that tatty old Ampeg and thought he would be able to afford a nice new class D amp by now
I thought we would be discussing the anti heft brigade......

:ph34r:

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1464881124' post='3063482']
Has TC got some new cabs then? - I was looking at that tatty old Ampeg and thought he would be able to afford a nice new class D amp by now

[/quote]

Oi, what you doing around these parts, get off to the shop.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1464881124' post='3063482']

[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464881250' post='3063484']
Oi, what you doing around these parts, get off to the shop.
[/quote]

Could I be a pain and ask you to get some pringles as well please :)

Oh, and a Cornetto.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464880670' post='3063470']
I hope you don't feel like that...
[/quote]

Sorry, I've just had a re-read and I realise I've been misinterpreting some of your posts - just a misunderstanding, mainly because I'm new to all the "humour" surrounding these BF threads. Anyway, I'd leave it there but I just have to say one more time

Timmy C is the daddy of bass tone!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464881044' post='3063479']
I've actually owned one and disliked it but looking at the replies the fan club have given other people I decided not to say anything before, now I have I will be put on the naughty step with a few others, must be my amp, bass,playing, venue, cab choice for genre of music before it being not for me,that said I sold it on after six months of struggling with it without any problems or losing much money.
[/quote]
You have just announced your not liking of a Barefaced cab ...out loud on Basschat...
*puts on crash helmet and waits for the fan club to wade in*

Is anyone else going to the shops...??

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1464882544' post='3063500']
You have just announced your not liking of a Barefaced cab ...out loud on Basschat...
*puts on crash helmet and waits for the fan club to wade in*

Is anyone else going to the shops...??
[/quote]

Best get some arnica and some plasters too.

EDIT: hopefully it won't get to stitches.
EDIT2: or broken limbs.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464866894' post='3063253']

3. The sound of a speaker and the sound of a cab are inextricably intertwined - the cab determines how the speaker sounds and vice versa. If you mic a speaker you hear the sound of the cab, just like if you look at a person in a hall of mirrors you see what they look like from that angle and many other angles too.

[/quote]
I'm a bit confused by how if you close mic a speaker , you are getting the whole cab sound ? If you put your ear close to a single speaker you get a different tone to the one you get from being further away from the cab as you are then hearing all the speakers plus the ports and tweeters etc.
Likewise , when recording a cab , it's common practice to close mic a speaker and also use another mic further away to record the whole cab plus ambient sound etc.
Maybe there is something I'm missing here but it's how I always perceived how a mic on a cab worked.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1464899494' post='3063706']
I'm a bit confused by how if you close mic a speaker , you are getting the whole cab sound ?
[/quote]

You wont get the whole cab sound! The hall of mirrors analogy is a bit misleading but this bit "The sound of a speaker and the sound of a cab are inextricably intertwined - the cab determines how the speaker sounds and vice versa." is spot on. The response of the speaker is determined by(amongst other things) the volume of air contained in the surrounding cabinet. So, the same speaker will sound differently when close miked in cabinets of differing volumes. Sorry, if I am teaching grannie to suck eggs with that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464859075' post='3063157']

The guy is obviously very discerning, and it's a great coup for Barefaced. But I still had to look him up :-)
[/quote]

Everyone has gaps, depending on their experience and taste - I'm embarrassed to say that people mentioned on BC that I've had to Google include Matt Bellamy and Wilko Johnston.

After Peter Gunn Theme and The Chain, Tim Commerford bass lines were the first thing I worked out when starting out on bass. Well done Barefaced!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464885421' post='3063549']
I think JE is the Daddy of bass tone with TC as a small boy looking out a window in a town a long way away.
[/quote]

Erroneous!

[media]http://youtu.be/my6bfA14vMQ[/media]

It's not something we've discussed, but in terms of the mindset regarding gear and the search for tone I see Tim Commerford as the next generation's John Entwistle, and if you read interviews with either you'll see the parallels. My Dad grew up listening to The Who, I grew up listening to Rage Against The Machine. I got into The Who later on, sadly after my Dad had died. Live At Leeds is one of the albums most often found in my car, along with Evil Empire (RATM), Sinatra At The Sands and Donny Hathaway Live. If I had to keep just two albums in the car forever it would be the Rage and Sinatra ones.

On John Entwhistle and bass tone, does anyone else feel he lost his way a little once he got to the point where he could genuinely have any rig he could think of? I mean, Live at Leeds is fantastic, a real benchmark of rock bass for me, but later on when the Alembics and Buzzards, effects and huge multi-way rigs came in I enjoy his tone far less, though the playing is still great.

Congratulations to Alex and Barefaced.

Commerford is a high profile player, whether or not you know who he is and whether or not you like his tone*. Having him using your manufactured equipment is fantastic.

*I knew who Commerford was but I can't say I care too much one way or the other about his tone. I have no idea what a 'tone fiend' or 'daddy of bass tone' can possibly mean other than 'I like his tone'. If I was using a Barefaced cab I doubt I would sound anything like Commerford.